Professional Cleaning

As well as my MX-5, I have a 31yr old car which has been in storage for the last 2 years. I have owned it for over 20yrs and have no plans on selling it as it was always my dream car.
While in store, it has got very dusty and looks unloved, which it isn’t!

So on Saturday I have a pro detailer who is going to come and give advice on what would be best to go for. I had said I wanted a full clean inside and out (only 2 seater so not big inside) and something that helps it stay looking good.

The prices quoted are: Safe wash from £30 Mini Valet from £40 interior Valet from £40 Full Valet from £80 Single Stage Paint Correction from £150 Two Stage Paint Correction from £250 Full Paint Correction from £350 3 Months Coating from £30 6 Months Coating from £40 3 Year Ceramic Coating from £150 wheel Ceramic Coating from £50 and they use SONAX brand

From new the car has covered only 46,500 miles and I will only be using on dry days, weekends, occasional use. Body is aluminium and there is no rust or scratches anywhere.

Even though the car is really good, I have never had a pro clean, so I am thinking perhaps I do need to go for the full paint correction and then ceramic coating - but that takes me to £500
What do people think? Or is it a case of need to see the car to say what is needed?

1 Like

Two seater aluminium body :thinking: I’m struggling here, the type of car ?

And me. 1990’s 2 seater aluminium body. Hmmm. Got me stumped.

Perhaps meant to say aluminium chassis (and plastic body) so Lotus Elise?
Edit: actually that can’t be right on age, 90’s yes but mid-late 90’s was the first production run I think so that doesn’t compute

Could be a SWB Land Rover defender pick up :rofl:

Lol … so all the replies are speculating type of car, but none on the actual question. I got a notification that Bob had edited my post too - no idea what that was about.

Anyway - the car is a 1991 model. Manual 5-speed coupe, mid-engine, RWD if that gives more clues.

1991_toyota_mr2-pic-30914-640x480
? :rofl:

1 Like

Nope. It is a Japanese sports car though. A few famous people have also owned one.

I will post a picture after the clean if no-one has guessed by then.

Honda NSX :open_mouth:?

1 Like

Yep - that’s the one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh well in that case it’s got to be the full monty from the detailers…in-fact they should pay you to work on such a car :grin:

Who in particular ?

Senna?

lol - I didn’t say what sort of car just 'cos it isn’t an MX-5

But if interested, I will post before and after pics.

Famous owners have included Rowen Atkinson, Gordon Murrey (he used one while developing the F1) and Jenson Button. Senna of course had more than one.

He might have driven one, I doubt he owned it though :shushing_face: Anyone else leap to mind ?

Tom Cruise, Eddie Jordan, Wesley Snipes…

Yeah I’d take a peek at those :+1:

Reggie - Senna was part of the development and was given one in the UK (actually a G-plate Auto that is now part of the collection at Honda), but he also owned several over in Brazil.

1 Like

Without seeing the state of the paint under proper lighting, it’s hard to advise. Assuming most of the previous washes haven’t been “safe” (i.e. proper pre-rinse, clean washmits etc) or done by your local Eastern Europeans it’s probably fairly swirled given how soft Japanese paint is and would therefore likely benefit greatly from a 2 stage correction then 3 year ceramic on top to seal in the finish and provide some modest scratch protection.

If it’s been washed with some care or not very often you may get good results with a single stage correction which would serve to cleanse the paint prior to any protection layers too.

SONAX stuff has a decent reputation but no experience of their products myself.