Puddles inside my NC

Just noticed damp carpets in footwell so had a look round the forum and found the details on “water ingress” and leakage in my NC. Further inspection revealed (as others have said), the mats were dry but the carpet underneath is damp/wet in both passenger and drivers side.

Thought I’d better check the rest of the car so slid the seats forward and oh dear, puddles right at the back under the seats. The boot is dry so I’ve ordered a Trumpet Cleaner thing to have a go at the drains but any further advice will be gratefully received.

Roll on Summer.

Also check the front scuttle grommets for leaks. The water can get past these and enters and drips down from under the dash. It’s mainly the passenger side that cops for it and also the water can enter the fuse box at the base of that sides A pillar.

I’ll find a suitable thread explaining the above…
If you click on the link to the thread below it will explain the leaky grommets many have had problems with. I would seal them anyway as a precaution.

In my experience the skuttle grommets tend not to result in carpets flooded, and only seems to affect the passenger side.
However, if they havn’t gone already, they will do shortly, so when you’ve an hour to spare, it would be worth sealing them with silicone.

As for the flood, then I’d suggest that both roof drains are blocked.

There are lots of threads on the subject.
Getting the trombone cleaner in can be tricky, there’s a knack to it.

Thanks for the advice MickAP and Keat63.

I got hold of a trombone cleaner and spent a lovely hour trying to get it in the roof drains, eventually got it sorted and both went through with nothing being pushed out through the drain holes underneath.

Will have a go at the wonderfully named Skuttle Grommets next. Meanwhile the car is drying out so perhaps I’ll be able to trace the leak in the next monsoon.

1 Like

I had exactly this issue a couple of years ago. From memory, replacement grommets were only a few ££ and there are a few very useful tutorials online that helped me through the process.

Edit: YouTube has a few useful guides if you search “grommet replacement mk3 mx5”

1 Like