Rear bonnet size

Hi all, so, terrible tragedy in London, can’t drive my mx5 mark 1 due to the ulez :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved: so looking for another. Had great test drive in an RF today. Stunning car, but the roof doesn’t go right back, and I’m use that with mine, and like it. So looking at soft tops now ~ but on some models,
the rear bonnet looks larger or longer than other models and I prefer the smaller bonnet. Am I seeing things and it’s the angle of photo? I’ll post a couple ~ the grey has the longer bonnet, the blue the smaller and what I like. Do bonnet sizes vary with models? Thanks so much

Thanks a lot!

You’re seeing things, the dimensions of all ND are the same.

2 Likes

Yes, the angle of the photo or the distortion of the particular lens, as Robbie says they’re all identical.

1 Like

They’re all the same, but I don’t know what you mean by rear bonnet.

1 Like

Possibly the boot?

1 Like

Fairly obviously the boot/trunk/rear bonnet… from the angle in the pictures the machine grey one does look longer.

1 Like

Not that obvious, I thought it could be the hood as well.

1 Like

Agree with Ian. The boot (rear bonnet) does “look” longer on the grey car. But for the OP’s benefit, it is not.

1 Like

Hi there, sorry, yes, meant the boot. What’s ND mean pl?

Thanks for your answers, useful.

And is there somewhere I can look at dimensions? The RF boot looks even smaller too but can see easily it’s the angle of the different roof.

ND = MK4 = latest model

1 Like

Look, same here

Longer boot in picture 1
Shorter looking boot in 2

For dimensions see:
Mazda MX-5 size and dimensions guide | carwow

1 Like

So are there no variations in dimensions at all between, for example, Sports or Skyactivs? All ND models have same dimensions??

1 Like

Yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Who knew… I didn’t for sure :joy: thanks all to those that did… Now to decide, RF or sports nav! Thoughts?

The boot opening is different between the RF and the soft top due to the rear part of the “roof” on the RF.

Just to confirm, all current model MX-5s are classed an ND (model code), the RF denotes it a hard top version (retractable fastback), Sport Nav is a trim level, which can be had in either RF or soft top.

1 Like

This has raised an interesting question which I never thought of before. Bonnet and boot are items of clothing. Is there some historical reason from years ago when cars first appeared on the road that the terms are used on a car? A bonnet is used on the head (analogy - the front/head of a car) and boots are used on the feet (analogy - rear of the car). Just wondering :grinning:

1 Like

I think boot is an abbreviation from horse-drawn days, from something like boot locker
Ie, sowhere boots were kept.

1 Like

Haha… Guys, what are the trim levels for the ND? Thanks so much!

The easiest and quickest solution is to look at the brochures.
x3 PDF downloads of Specs, Prices and Accessories for the RF and Soft top. :slightly_smiling_face:

https://www.mazda.co.uk/forms/request-a-brochure/?utm_campaign=Mazda|UK|Search|All|National|Brand|None|CTA|BMM|UK|None|None|Google&campaignCode=MMUK_FY154_P2_PPC&infinity=ict2~net~gaw~ar~325371318368~kw~%2Bmazda%20%2Bcar%20%2Bbrochure~mt~b~cmp~Mazda|UK|Search|All|National|Brand|None|CTA|BMM|UK|None|None|Google~ag~Brand|CTA-Brochure|BMM&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6bGlqLX-8wIVjt_tCh2vJgk_EAAYASAAEgK9f_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like