Rear-ended - hit & run

That’s so sad to see far to many of these scumbags on our roads today, hope that you’re ok. Hopefully your insurance will sort it for you.

1 Like

You have PM Roger!

Barrie

1 Like

Oh 5h1t. Excuse my poor French. Felt gutted when I saw the picture, then really worried when I saw it was you. Will drop you an email.

1 Like

Very pleased that you are OK which is more than can be said for the car.
Good job you have a couple of spares.
I would expect that to be written off.

1 Like

What do you mean ‘a couple of spares’? He only had two ND MX-5s. Any more would be greedy.

:wink:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear what happened. The main thing is that you are okay, but it makes you weep to see such needless damage caused to such a lovely car.

1 Like

It may be only a car but it’s your pride and joy, a treasured possession. Heartbreaking if it happened to mine.
Words fail me, well they don’t but I daren’t type them here. Hope whoever is responsible is dealt with accordingly but I suppose it’s the catching them bit that’s going to be challenging.

1 Like

Agree with MickAP. Our MX-5’s are our pride and joy and so much more than just “A mode of transport” We love to drive them which is not easy in these challenging times of the pandemic - Going down to Aldi via a scenic route has never been so much fun :smiley: But I can enjoy just as much looking round it on my driveway, giving it a bit of a clean… which happens alot! (Neighbours must think I’m a bit mad…!) Let them, as I don’t care - we all have our indulgences and one of mine is my ND2… So my mind remains on Roger and wishing him well both now and over the coming days and weeks…

2 Likes

What a f@#king b@£stard I hope they rot in hell, very sorry for you. No insurance or tax, Mmm, I wonder what they will tow their caravan with?:rage:

2 Likes

Main thing is you are ok, but I feel your pain.

2 Likes

That truly sucks. Looking at the pictures, it looks like the rear wings are not damaged, so a new boot lid and rear bumper, but it depends on the rear subframe and what damage has been caused underneath. Fingers crossed it gets sorted and also that the sod who hit you gets caught. I would keep my eyes open and if you see them again, follow them at a safe distance and see if you can find where they are. Or see if there are any popular “caravan sites” around and have a look there. However I know that the authorities and insurance companies do not try too hard as they know it is rarely worth it, which makes it easy for those responsible to get away with it.

2 Likes

Just a thought / hypothesis that crossed my mind last night…thinking…probably over-thinking which is an innate tendency I possess.
Rog, you said you were retiring sometime soon and looking forward to doing stuff for you instead of others…so.
If the ND is written off, you still have one of the best & last lurking there.
Why not think about nailing a Carcoon Special as I refer to them of a Mk1. 8k-10k should do it. Then you’d be pretty unique in having the Best of the First, and an example of the Best of the Last (?) in your stable.
That would be different…
But then I’m biased!

1 Like

That’s what I did. When I had spare time I lurked around the village. Three days after the accident I saw the car parked by the phone box which at that time actually had a phone in it. When the driver emerged I followed her all of about 250 yards back to the local travellers’ site (I do not allege that all such incidents are caused by travellers or that all travellers do this sort of thing - I can’t recall any trouble from this small site for years now).

I told the police and nagged them to go and see the driver, which they did, and that was when she came up with “Jimmy”.

1 Like

Oh Roger! I feel so sorry for you. Such people are the scum of the earth. Can the DVLA not trace the owners address from the MOT details? I may be wrong, but judging from the photos the rear wings look intact and hopefully the damage is limited to the boot, rear bumper and rear lights etc. Hope you get it all sorted ok and soon.

2 Likes

I downloaded the photos & blew them up.
TBH, the offside wing looks FUBAR’d.
I’m unsure if it’s a trick of light but the nearside appears warped…though the door shutline looks good still.
I think it’s going to be down to “what lies beneath”.
These days of safety crumple-zones it does not take a huge shunt really…so hopefully the rear structure is still square.
Even if Rog really wants it back at all now.
I’ve seen worse put back to perfection ( At Foz Sports in Clackmannshire) but these cars tend to be very high value prestige vehicles.

1 Like

Such a shame, looks like both rear wings to me as well, particularly the o/s.
Based on the cost (to the third parties insurance company) of repairing the damage to my car after someone reversed into the o/s/r door, (£17000!) your car may well be written off. Mine was close, and in some ways I wish it had of been.

1 Like

I am sorry to see this. Horrible. The only positive I can give is that cars are designed to crumple like this and hopefully it’s limited to the boot lid, bumper and 2 lights and comes back as good as new. I have fingers and toes crossed.

1 Like

Sorry to see this. Some people really don’t deserve to drive if they can’t stick to the rules e.g. be insured and stop after an accident.

Both rear wings look kinked, so I guess it I be a write off.

1 Like

Many thanks everyone for your kind messages! :heart_eyes: Much appreciated. :heart:
Just to note that the wings seem undamaged, superfiscally at least, what looks like dents and scuffs in the photos are just reflections in the light. So with a bit of luck… :pray: :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

Ah Ha!
One wee step forward then.

1 Like