Rear-ended - hit & run

I went to inspect a rear ended car once after the repair. Although the repair seemed decent enough apart from the boot lid out of alignment, looking under the car the boot floor still creases in it and signs of body filler.
So I guess how far has that rear end been pushed forward will be the answer to how much is that going to cost?
Hope all goes well and you can have that car all repaired and hunky dory again. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

So sorry to see this Roger, I hope that it all gets sorted as quickly and painlessly as possible.

1 Like

I must admit when looking at the pics, I couldn’t tell if it was reflections or if the rear wings were kinked - Hopefully it can be sorted, and to a standard that you are happy with… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So the crumple zone has crumpled and the car is probably beyond hope.

40 years ago it would have been a new chrome bumper, a couple of hours with a hammer, filler and rattle can. However Roger would probably have a broken nose, teeth and ribs, severe neck and back pain and concussion.

Things aren’t too bad are they?

7 Likes

Pretty much a copy paste of my thoughts…going back to my Dad’s Singer Gazelle that got a ruddy good thump. Chrome bumper was slightly squinted from memory and the radiator grill was a mess.
Father’s head had a few lumps.
I got battered by the shopping bags flying out the front seat.
Trust me to get brained by a big bag of spuds.
Kids bounce well though…

2 Likes

Is that definitely the case? Surely the bumper plus foam block behind it are designed to take a certain amount of impact before the main structure crumple zone is affected. I wouldn’t take much to cause that damage to the rear bumper, lights and boot lid. If the airbags etc. didn’t go off it suggest that the impact was not that great as Roger does not appear to have suffered any injuries, thank God!

1 Like

I think that until the rear bumper comes off it is just guesswork at this stage. It could probably go either way…

1 Like

Really sorry to read about this. All the best for getting it sorted to the outcome you want. That’s another knock for my diminishing faith in human nature :frowning_face:

2 Likes

The airbag deployment sensors are not designed to trigger in the event of a rear shunt, when the airbags wouldn’t be of any use if they were deployed, in fact they could have caused injury had they been triggered.
The seat belt pre tensioners may have been used though.

1 Like

Hopefully your insurance will sort everything out, just awful that there’s a lowlife out there who knows what they’ve done and don’t give a rats @ss.

1 Like

At least we can take some comfort knowing we have a decent quality of life, can bankroll nice cars, and sleep in a nice bed.
That piece of oxygen thieving scum will live for some time probably not knowing where his next dinner is coming from in an essentially chaotic hand to mouth subsistence level and croak unkown to anyone who really matters.
Hopefully.

1 Like

I was thinking more the side protection airbags in the seats rather than the steering wheel airbag but I may be wrong.

1 Like

Sorry to see the damage to your pride and joy, hopefully your insurance will sort things out pronto to get you up and running should the lockdown ease in the not too distant future.
The selfish ignorant scumbags are breeding at an alarming rate , this once lovely green and pleasant land is becoming infected with these bstrds.

3 Likes

Just to clarify things a bit, none of the airbags inflated and no warning lights have come up on the instrument display. no glass broken, both doors open/shut fine, windows work.

4 Likes

I would keep going at it until you get a resolution. They will help if you badger them with contact. I hope you get it resolved at no cost!

3 Likes

Interestingly (or may be not!!!) the ND2 30AE does NOT have any foam behind the bumper.
:heart:

1 Like

No sign of foam on either of the ND’s (ND1/ND2) that I have had.

I’ve seen reference to the foam on American sites so was expecting there to be some, seems like it’s geography specific for some reason…

2 Likes

Thanks Ian. I think that is where I have seen it. I thought that most modern cars had some foam behind the bumpers to absorb energy in minor impacts. An strange omission on the UK ND if you ask me.

1 Like

The American video for the Ventura reversing camera kit shows them drilling through the foam behind the bumper. When I was doing my reversing camera kits none of my customers in the UK found any behind theirs.

2 Likes

Foam behind front bumper only on ND, and that’s only a narrow strip.

1 Like