Recommendations for subtle mods

I am after some opinions if anyone would please take the time to help. Today has inspired and got my cogs whirring re my car. I have a soul red nd that I love. When I bought it I had the wheels done gloss black along with adding gloss black front rear and side skirts plus wing mirrors. I also have a stubby aerial (for anyone interested the reception is shocking but I use apple car play everywhere and prefer the look!). Anyway. After much deliberation and time looking at all the cars today (thank you to everyone who let me peer at theirs!) I have ordered a bbr super sport rear silencer too. (I would respectfully ask for no good or bad opinions on this as it is now ordered after talking to various people today including people who have fitted many of the other ones I was looking at!)I am now thinking what else I may be missing to enhance the car. There are two main things I keep coming back to but don’t action. One is black badges. I would love these but simply cannot find where anyone gets them and really don’t want to paint mine - anyone who has them I would love to know how/where. Also lowering the car. My commute includes some fairly sharp 10mph bumps. I wouldn’t want it stupidly low but what does anyone honestly think? Plus anything else they have added that they think has made a positive influence! I don’t want to go mad. Photo for reference! Thank you so much!!

“CARBONMIATA” in Japan. Not cheap but quality never is!

My ND is roughly 25mm lower on BBR’s springs with the standard Bilstein shocks. I have no issues with speed bumps.

Hi.
Like most soul red NDs your car looks great already but have you considered an alternative front grille?
There are a number of styles available, some more subtle than others but most improve the face of the car.
Hth

Guy

P.s, hope you continue to share what you do. :crossed_fingers:

Plastidip mask around and spray. It’s weird! It sets as rubber, you can literally peel it off so fine to spar over logos and surround do a few coats and peel off the red, watch a couple of YouTube videos very cheap and does the job.

1 Like

Thank you. I will check them out. It is always on the 30th anniversary I think they look the best! Your car looks awesome.

Thank you. Silly questions. Do I have the same standard shocks would you say (do all nds have the bilstein ones?). Do you notice any difference to ride and handling or is the look you wanted? Why did you go for the bbr ones? Sorry to ask just new to these.

1 Like

No, I don’t think so. I believe that it depends on the trim. As far as I know you have to have a trim with the sports suspension. Mine is a 2016 2.0 Sport Recaro. In the current brochure, it looks like it’s added to the Sport Tech 184ps manual and above. Source: https://media-assets.mazda.eu/raw/upload//mazdauk/globalassets/uk/pdfs/fy157/p2/pricing/mazda-mx-5-price-and-spec-guide-july-2022.pdf?rnd=49e77c

Ride and handling are significantly changed, but I had a lot more done than just springs. I bought the car completely standard in mid-2020 but knew that I would probably modify it. I also knew I wanted to have a lot of work done, but do it in one go - not necessarily recommended if you want to understand exactly what each mod does. Mine is a BBR Super 200 with the full BBR exhaust. It has OZ wheels, front Wilwood brakes, grooved discs, and uprated pads, Eibach front and rear anti roll bars, and BBR’s springs. The suspension setup was Neil at BBR’s recommendation for fast road and maybe very occasional track use. BBR uses a custom geometry setup as well.

Mazda sells a suspension lowering kit. I would consider that if I were you. I think they are Eibach springs as they get mentioned elsewhere in the forum, but you can do a search to find out more. See: Mazda MX-5 Accessories & Parts | Mazda UK and scroll through to suspension lowering kit.

No need to apologise, this is what the forum is for :slight_smile:

Thank you so much to everyone for their replies.

I love the look of the badges at carbonmiata although would much prefer an mx5 not roadster one for the left hand side. - I assume no one has managed to find one have they? I am the worlds worst at DIY so changing mine I fear isn’t an option as would make a right mess of it!

Grills- has anyone changed the stock one for another black one? The only ones I have seen in the metal are chrome which isn’t for me (I like the gloss black look as you can see!)

Springs - thank you for the hugely helpful advice. I can see the Mazda ones look reasonable value (appreciate fitting is on top) has anyone any experience of how much lower they are (I can’t see unless lookingin the wrong place) and how much it affects the handling?

Which wheel are these? i really like them on the MX5 (they look like OZ maybe?)

Thanks! 17" OZ Alleggerita in matt bronze.

1 Like

ah i see the PCD has changed in modern MX5… so these won’t work! very nice though

Zunsport grilles seem popular.

See here
Available in black. :+1:

Edit*
There’s also this style.
Spyder front grille.

And a similar version from Carbon Miata in the USA.

Or With lights

I was considering one but reviews on MX5 Parts seem a bit mixed:

This is a very subtle, cheap and painless mod that I did to my soul red.

Changed the side indicators to smoke black, which offset with the black door mirrors gave a great look to the car.

There was no difference in illumination of the indicators when they flashed.

Subtle but effective

2 Likes

Thank you for these. Love the carbon musta one so will add that to the to do list. Hope it will look ok with a uk style plate. @MX51MJR those repeaters look good. Can you remember where they were sourced? Are they an easy install and are they ok for mots?

1 Like

I bought mine off eBay. There are two types, one that has the single solid light, which is the type I had or one where you can see the individual LEDs when they are lit.

I still have the set I bought which you are welcome to have. I had to take my MX5 back to standard when I traded it in and they wouldn’t suit being fitted to my :100: Annerversary Edition.

If you would like them send me a PM with your address and I will post them out to you. I don’t want anything for them.

Not sure about the MOT question. They were fitted after my MOT was done.

Fitting is straight forward. You need to get your arm in between the wing and the wheel arch lining. Pull the lining out of the way after removing the plastic pins holding it in place.

Reach inside to the back of the light fitting and press the plastic clip inwards on the housing. The light fitting then pops out. Unclip the cable block and then fit the replacement.

The new light just clips back in.

Zunsport grill was mentioned earlier, I have posted this picture before but here is a side by side comparison of two soul reds, one with the Zunsports grill and one without.

Mine was the one without.

Edit: Notice how much clearer mine is :rofl::rofl:

Thank you so much. I will pm you now. I’m not sure about the grill. A big part of me prefers the standard one on yours. I think the repeaters are smart though and exactly what I mean by subtle mods.

I don’t like the full Zunsport, but the lower one I think looks better. I’m just put off by the mixed reviews.

Photo taken from MX5 Parts page I linked to earlier.