Recommendations for subtle mods

I prefer the half grille as well and have it fitted on my, I would give it a full 5 stars.

1 Like

I bought my black badges from carbonmiata and theyā€™ve been on the car for about a year. I noticed the other day that the front badge seems to be losing its blackness. Donā€™t know if anybody else has had that problem.

Had the same issue with all of my carbonmiata badges. Removed them and sprayed them. Should have just done that with the originals and saved myself the cost of a set of badges

1 Like

One of the few things I didnā€™t like about my MX5 was the exhaust. To me, they look like scaffold poles. I bought some black tops from Amazon, which just push on. They donā€™t change anything aside from the look.

Hereā€™s a link.

https://amzn.eu/iGmhqEx

1 Like

Iā€™m tempted to just remove them and fill the holes, (and recessed part at the front) for a badge free experience. Maybe Iā€™ll leave the middle mazda badge at the backā€¦

Thank you all for the heads up. Itā€™s quite concerning if they deteriorate after a year. It seems strange nowhere in the uk does them. Iā€™m really uncomfortable with painting mine - there is nowhere that offers this is there?

As I said plastidip, if you mess up it literally peels off watch a video or two :slight_smile:

Just an update to say a massive thank you to @MX51MJR for the repeaters. All fitted and I think are exactly the subtle but slightly different look I was going for! New BBR back box should go on this week. Iā€™m thinking of getting the Mazda lowering springs done at next service (April) as the dealer I use is 90 mins away. Iā€™m still looking at grilles and am trying to talk myself into trying to plasticdip my badges as per @booktrunk recommendation! I greatly appreciate everyoneā€™s help and support!

3 Likes

Where the badges from.carbonmiata the Matt or gloss finish

Did you buy gloss or Matt finishā€¦.???

Mine were matt, started to wash out to gray after about a year. My car isnt garaged though, dosnt get much sun where its parked but does get a bit on the front. All 4 were gray after about 18months

1 Like

Thank you for the reply I think I spray mine and put a few coats of lacquer on them

I have one or two mods done there on my modding pageā€¦ā€¦ :shushing_face:

1 Like

There are a few subtle mods I havenā€™t seen mentioned yet that I really like on mine

I originally fitted a Black Zunsport Lower Half Grille but have since gone for a full Spyder Grille (no lights though).

Suspension wise, I have the Eibach lowering springs which I think drop ~30mm and donā€™t have issue with speed bumps.
And until I recently upgraded my wheels I had 25mm spacers that made the wheel sit flush with the wheel arch but I would recommend smaller as I had some rubbing.

I have documented almost everything except my most recent stuff in this thread: ND RF Launch Edition No.207

You can do some pretty nice stuff with LED lighting.

I installed red LED welcome lighting in the footwells. They were red to match the carpet but white would work just as well. I would recommend warm white.

You can read here how I did it :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you all. @ian.prossor your list is certainly helpful. I do really like the rear led strip. My issue (as always) is I would t have the skill set to do it!). @MX51MJR the LED lights are lovely. We have interior ones in our golf from the factory which are a nice touch. @exiled-viking i follow your thread studiously with all your fantastic upgrades! I would love your grill with the retractable number plate!

1 Like

The rear LED kit is plug and play :smiley: @Roadie is who I got mine from, plugs in between an existing plug and the you just feed it through before sticking it to the boot

1 Like

Iā€™ve sold around 400 of the LED boot strips. Nobody has failed on the install so far. If anything does go wrong Iā€™m always here to supply advice or replacement parts.

Drop me a message if you would like to buy a kit.

Instructions can be read or downloaded on this link if you want to check them first.

2 Likes

Today I decided to take the plunge and try and Plastidip the badges. My experience below is exactly that- just my experience. I donā€™t want it to come across as an issue with the product but a story of what CAN happen. I am sure many people have had much more success.
As a complete novice at anything I watched several videos prior to doing this and followed the longest timescales I read/watched. Firstly I masked off large areas around all badges, then I applied 6 coats at least 30 mins apart. After waiting 5 hours I could tell by looking I wasnā€™t happy with the finish but wanted to take the tape off to see finished result. Firstly despite being careful and using all the tooth pick etc ideas it didnā€™t come off around the badges cleanly and starting taking small areas off. At this point I was resigned to failure and removed all the item from around and on the badges. To be fair this was easy and fairly clean. Apart from the complete failure my biggest upset was the amount of ā€˜oversprayā€™ around the untapped area. For context this reached the doors. For clarity the can was held around 10-15cm away (guidelines show 20-25 but this felt too far). I did do this outside but in a sheltered area with what felt no wind. I have subsequently spent a good while removing black specs from all over the car. At best I am now back to where I started but more likely another wash or two from that stage. I am now back to square one in my quest for black badges as the other option (carbonmiata) seem to have their issues to. I only hope somewhere in the uk offers a black option as I feel I am not alone in wanting this look. I appreciate this is only my opinion and experience but hope it helps other novices who may be looking at this.

Oops (Iā€™m hiding) the one thing Iā€™ve found is the more coats the better.