I keep updating What have you done to your MX-5 today? but have only just thought of creating a specific “build” thread collating everything I have done so far, so here it is!
My ND RF 2.0 Launch Edition was purchased as a birthday present to myself in June 2019 to replace the NC 2.0 Sport I was using as a daily at the time, both seen here on collection day with me looking goofy in the middle:
Why an RF?
I feel in love with the RF when I first saw it as it reminded me of my MR2 Mk2 T-bar.
I like that fact the profile is maintained with the roof up or down as I much prefer the style of a Targa/T-bar than a fully convertible roof.
I was invited to attended the Mazda MX-5 RF VIP Preview Event hosted by Mazda in Manchester which I duly accepted and thoroughly enjoyed, Roadster Blog did a great write-up of this:
And here is No.207 in all its glory with my family plate on it after I had owned if for about a fortnight:
It then went on various trips around the UK, both for work and events including Goodwood Festival of Speed but little happened on the modification front.
Started my list of modifications:
- Cravenspeed Stubby Aerial
- Cobalt Delrin Door Bushings
- Zunsport Lower Half Grille
- Roadie Red LED Rear Strip
- Cre8 Red Reflective Tape to make the LED Rear Strip reflect brighter
BLiNK Motosport fitted the following and did a fast road alignment:
- Cobalt Stainless Steel Rear Silencer
- IL Motorsport 25mm Wheel Spacers
- Eibach Pro Sport Lowering Spring Kit
- IL Motorsport Center Console Storage Box Light
- Mazda Sound Tube Delete and IL Motorsport Sequential Rear Indicators
- Jeff_jthspace Battery Cover
My RF Now
And this is what No.207 looks like now:
I was hoping to go to a few events this year but they didn’t really plan out so have been rolled over to next year
- Japfest Silverstone
- Goodwood Festival of Speed
- Japfest Donnington
- National Rally (aka the Lost Rally)
Now I am looking at exterior aesthetics. I think it is ridiculous that the Launch Edition came with the piano black roof, mirror caps and boot spoiler but not the rest of the piano black “aero” kit so they will be fitted:
- Front Air Dam Skirt
- Side Air Dam Skirts
- Rear Air Dam Skirt
But after that I am not too sure, current ideas are:
- New Infotainment System (for Apple CarPlay/Android Auto)
- Custom Steering Wheel (stitching and materials to match the rest of the interior)
- SmartTOP Roof Controller (so the switch goes the right way, you don’t have to hold it for the whole time and you can go faster than 6mph)