ND ST 30th Anniversary Edition No.1434

Intro

I have had my RF Launch Edition for just under five years and put rather a lot of miles on it… I bought in June 2019 with ~18000 on the clock and it now has ~105000! It has done daily driver duties as well as taking me to many events across the country; car shows, OC events and race tracks as a motorsport marshal.
When I bought my Launch Edition the 30th Anniversary Edition was being released and I originally thought a 30th Anniversary Edition would be me next car when my PCP finished. However, I went a bit over the agreed mileage and loved my Launch Edition too much so kept it.
I am rather attached to it now and plan on keeping it for a long time so I started looking for something to take the miles off my RF and kept ending up back at another MX-5 :see_no_evil:

Why a 30th Anniversary?

After deciding on another MX-5 I already knew I wanted an ND2 and a soft top so there was a least some difference between them :joy:
As a Launch Edition, my ND has a high specification (Recaro seats, Alcantara interior, BBS wheels, etc.) so I wanted something equivalent or better which really narrowed down my options. I had two ideas in my head:

1. A Machine Grey soft top and modify it to match my Launch Edition

Or

1. A 30th Anniversary as (other than the colour) it basically was the above

So I set up all my searches and started monitoring EVERYTHING! I was actually too slow on this particular car and was beaten to it by a dealer, some might have seen the for sale post on this very forum. But, as luck would have it, I saw it listed by the dealer and jumped at it as it ticked all my boxes; I believe it was on Auto Trader for ~14 hours!

• Low Mileage
  • Full Mazda Service History
  • 30th Anniversary Pack (book and print)
  • Fully Undersealed by The MX-5 Restorer
  • Roadster-bag Luggage Set (already had the matching set for my Launch Edition)

All of the above a credit to the former owner who really cherished this.

(Pictures stolen from original listing on here :face_with_hand_over_mouth: )

My 30AE

I haven’t had a chance to take photos yet as I am waiting for the log book to change the plate so will post a full set when that comes through but here is one from the dealer for now:

Modifications

It is an MX-5, of course it will be getting some modifications!
But don’t worry, compared to my Launch Edition these will be very minor almost all will be reversible :slight_smile:

April (2024)

• Interior LED Bulbs (sometimes it is just the little things)
  • MX5things DRL Harness
  • @Roadie
    • Acrylic Wind Deflector
    • Roof Wedges
    • Red LED Rear Strip

May

And this is what No.1434 looks like at the moment:

Ordered

National Rally Plans

Future Plans

Thank you for reading if you got this far :smiley: please come, say hi and ask me any questions if you see me at events!

11 Likes

Be extremely mindful of the wheels as they’re not cheap!

Would be happy to offer a recommendation for uprated Brembo brake pads if wish to upgrade them :grimacing:

2 Likes

What pads would you recommend? (I have a 2023 Homura which I believe has the same front brakes) Regards

Think carefully about the so called “aero” kit. My car came with it already fitted (ex dealer demonstrator car) IMO it adds nothing to the car either in terms of looks of functionality. I think it actually takes away from the natural looks/lines of the car. Also its ridiculously over priced for what is just a few bits of plastic at the end of the day. I have even thought about having the stupidly small boot spoiler taken off as I dislike it so much.

I have G-LOC GS1 brake pads which are supposedly the same as Carbotech 1521. Carbotech brake pads can be sourced within the UK unlike G-LOC. I only discovered this fact after having the brake pads fitted :man_facepalming:

Both brake pads are for fast road use only. Dusting is very similar to the factory Brembo brake pads and most importantly, easy to clean off. I also had the brake fluid changed to Motul RBF 600. As for performance, I felt like they were much more confidence inspiring when hammering on them.

If it helps, I had a modified Honda Civic Type-R FN2 before my ND2. That had Renaultsport Megane Brembo calipers fitted along with PBS ProRace brake pads. I would say both cars have similar braking performance (after modification). Frustatingly, the PBS ProRace came with huge amount of dusting and were difficult to clean off.

Unfortunately, there is a slight downside to these G-LOC/Carbotech brake pads if you’ve not used either brand on your car before. Both manufacturers highly recommended to resurface your brake discs when switching to their brake pads:

Alternatively, I opted for the easiest and most expensive route by replacing brake discs for new ones.

If you do this, you may not be aware that you’ll be left with holes on the boot lid. That is whoever installed it followed the instructions 100%. It is possible to install it without drilling the boot lid.

@ian.prossor: Just like the above, the aero kit will leave visible holes on the front bumper, side skirts and boot lid if taken off. Something to reconsider if you wish to do reversible modifications.

1 Like

I think if there ever was a case of looks being a subjective entity, that’s it. I think that aero kit looks the bees knees :honeybee:

I fully agree looks are subjective.

I am aware of the aero kit fitting and drilling requirements, I had it fitted to my LEFR :slight_smile:
But it is why I even put the comment that it is the only non-reversible modification I have planned

I really like the look of the aero kit and think it finished the car nicely
After your comments, @FastH, I am tempted to propose a swap of body panels! :joy:

2 Likes

V5 finally arrived today so it now has a personalized reg!

If you have seen my RF Launch Edition you might notice the similarity!

I also fitted a fire extinguisher using the SQIIRL MODS Fire Extinguisher Bracket , safety first!
Although I think it is really just the motorsport marshal in me :see_no_evil:

I am marshalling at Donington Park for the Historic on Sunday so will try and pop by the Owners Club stand :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And here are the pair of them!

I was swapping spaces hence the opposite orientations

5 Likes

A nice plate pairing! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Here is a before and after of my :100: Anniversary MX-5 without the Aero kit fitted and then with it fitted.

Subtle, but for me, very very effective. It did cost me a few bob though.

The gloss black finish matches the gloss black on the ‘A’ pillars and roll hoops.

Supplied and fitted by Mazda Warrington :+1:.

At the time, I think it cost me about £120 more for Mazda to supply and fit the kit, than what it would have cost if I had bought the kit from MX-5 Parts and fitting it myself.

I was made up :heart_eyes:. When I picked the car up I made a point of going into the workshop to thank the fitter who carried out the install personally.

Note that I didn’t opt for having the spoiler fitted.

So, my yes vote for the Aero kit, but a no vote for the spoiler. Each to there own :joy:

3 Likes

Mazda Warrington means you are probably close to me, I am Manchester (Wythenshawe) based but work in Thelwall :slight_smile:
Should get yourself down to one of the Cheshire & North Wales meetings, next one is Wednesday 8th
Only ever seen one other 100th in person and that was on the Isle of Wight!

Hi Ian, as the former owner I’m happy to take the credit and am really pleased that ‘Serge’ has gone to a good home! Enjoy!

PS it lasted just over an hour on Autotrader.

1 Like

Welcome to the 30AE club, I have had mine for nearly a year & love it. Easily the best of the 6 previous 5s I have owned. Currently on Winter wheels & tyres but tempted to leave them on as I can’t stand the thought of damaging the OE wheels!

4 Likes

Understand the Rays wheels dilemma. Nice to look at but if they make you feel nervous to drive the car then they are a bit of a liability.

In my eyes it looks really good on the winter wheels. Doesn’t look any less special.

What are the winter wheels that you use?

The wheels are Japan Racing JR30 in hyper grey 17x7 ET40.
I bought them complete with tyres from Wheelbase Alloys, who I found great to deal with.

2 Likes

Cheers

Hi. Did they straight fit without spacers Etc?