Red turbo money pit

Very neat and tidy. Good job :+1:

Well done, looks good with a glass screen :+1: liking the mug of tea accessory

1 Like

Spoke too soon, when driving along one of the catches comes undone. Need to look at the alignment.

I also had to clear chunks of plastic trim out of the sill drains, go knows how that happened but regardless, took me 20 minutes with the recommended trombone cleaner and the less recommended wire hanger.

1 Like

So whoever recommended a tracking check deserves a sweetie.

Tracking done, steering wheel straight and the car seems a lot sharper.

It’s misfiring badly at the moment but only when at full throttle and 4000-5500 revs. I’ve swapped the plugs which doesn’t seem to have sorted it out. I’m being told next thing to swap is the coil pack but one of the bolts just looks like a massive pain to get to on the back of the engine.

Not looking forward to that.

1 Like

Fuel starvation? Fuel pressure? Possibly filter clogged in the tank?
See several posts about this in the forum.

3 Likes

I’ve chosen to ignore the misfire for now having gone on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster with it (changed the leads from coil pack, thought that had fixed it, turns out no.) it seems that the drop only happens when the car is coldish I.e. after about 10 mins I can’t get it to misfire again. This for now it drops down the priorities list!

As I have this week off waiting for my new job to start (that I’m just a teensy bit nervous about) I’m keeping myself busy with other bits on the car.

Today was the first step on the windows.

No wonder they were rattling with a complete absence of bush! New bush fitted, all of the rails and motors removed, everything cleaned and degreased. I have more silicone grease being delivered tomorrow and then will try and put it all back together. Wish me luck!

1 Like

Good luck :wink:

1 Like

So all went well and I have in the last day or so managed to get quite the bundle of swag from someone breaking an early mk1 as well. 2.5 hour drive each way (f* you M1) but worth it.

£150 for the lot (not including car)

That’s mudflaps, import spec rear number plate panel, new bonnet and most importantly, much better condition door cards!

See below for a sort of before and after.

3 Likes

Result :+1:
The new door cards look super spiffy. Nice one :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks! One of my mates asked me how I slept last night getting all of that for £150, I said just fine given the seller set the prices!

I’m really pleased how much nicer the interior looks with the new door cards.

1 Like

Ok, belated update:

Still misfiring like a demon, new leads and also a new coil pack have not sorted it so fuel flow sensor is the next thing to try but I have no idea what that entails.

In the meantime I have basically finished the refurbishment of the interior apart from fitting a radio.

Before:

After:

Has taken me months to find an OEM steering wheel, decided not to go with an OEM gear knob. Changed the instrument cover from the horrid, flock covered one. Everything else just given a really good clean.

4 Likes

Very neat and tidy job. Looks superb.
May I ask what the issue was with the flock instrument shroud?
I covered mine to reduce glare and reflections in the windscreen.

1 Like

Thanks! Still some way to go though. I just hated the look and feel of the flocked instrument cover, the way it had been done and the fact it was scuffed in a few places, it just looked so cheap and nasty.

Ah, yes, I understand. I did consider a suede leather cover off eBay but thought that might make the shroud too bulky and wasn’t confident I could glue it smoothly and neatly.
Instead I opted for a home flocking kit but that was a real challenge.
I had to take the original try back to the bare plastic as it looked very patchy.
The version I’ve got now is not perfect but it does the job.
I do wonder if a shaped piece of suede leather applied just to the top surface of the binacle could have been an alternative solution?
The cabin of you car looks tip top. Good job.

1 Like

Yes, I wouldn’t have minded properly done suede or even better alcantara covered but the home done flock covering just didn’t work for me.

1 Like

Right, fuel pressure regulator changed, engine is still misfiring on full throttle and it is starting to get worse.

Does anyone have any more ideas for me?

I have now changed the following:
Spark plugs (gapped down)
Ignition leads
Coil pack
Fuel pressure regulator

And I am out of ideas!

Fuel filter?
Fuel tank breather??

1 Like

I haven’t read through the full thread but I can’t see if you have checked for any fault codes?

1 Like

Fuel filter is my bet, the one I recently look out seems to be the original, have you checked what fuel pressure you’re getting?

Iirc they’re supposed to be somethin like 30-35psi, once I changed my filter I shot an injector out on startup as it had a smaller o-ring on it so I knew it made a big difference :joy:

Also the old filter weighed about 2kilo and the new one weighed about 10grams, some amount (and colour) of gunk came out of it when I had it off

Do you have an afr and is it reading ok?

1 Like

If you can stand an uneducated guess - MAF or cam position sensor. Are you still having issues when starting? I notice you put that down to the map I wonder if both issues are linked