Remote boot release switch on dash

Hi

I’m new to all this.

I have a 2019 ND soft top. 1.5 Sport Nav +

I would like to fit a switch on the dashboard to open the boot.

The dash has a position for the switch located next to the bonnet release. This is where Mazda locate the switch if done in the factory.

I have searched the www but can’t seem to find any info on a diy fit.

Has anyone done this or can anyone point me in the right direction

Many thanks
Clive

Have a look here: MX-5 Miata Forum - View Single Post - Trunk pop question

Thank you Ian. Very helpful. I think I might have to find someone to do this as my mechanical skills are not great and I don’t fancy pulling bits off the car.

But at least I know it’s possible

Regards
Clive

The ND is relatively easy to pull apart with a few basic tools (10mm socket, Crosshead screwdriver) and a willingness to risk the odd scratch here and there from the sharp edges. The first time can be a bit daunting so seeking assistance is not a bad idea.

This online manual is quite useful also if you haven’t found it already, it’s for an LHD car though most things are true for RHD too.

1 Like

Hi there.
I’ve done many mods to my Mk4 … can you please explain “spliced” ? Did you put a normally open push to make switch coming off the yellow wire as shown in my crude diagram ?

Did you manage to get this done ?
I’m looking into it as when a passenger gets out they have no idea how to open the boot.
I have found some information on splicing into a yellow wire to be found on the passenger side of my RHD Mk4. I would like to know if “just” adding a momentary push button to this wire and then to ground will do the trick :thinking: Hope this diagram helps

You do have a boot release button in the car - its on the key fob!

The key fob only works when the engine is off.
If the engine is running , the only way to open the boot is by pressing the button above the number plate.
So passengers getting out and wanting to open the boot is a bit of a pain.

So whats wrong with the button by the number plate?

I’d like to be able to pop the boot for my daughter as she’s getting out … save her having to fumble for the button. Plus when I’m dropping off my shopping , I can just pull up outside my house and do the same.