Replacing my Winter Tyres - thoughts Nankang or Kumho

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC Sport Graphite

I need to replace my winter tyres as my current ones, although having lots of tread, are out of date. I make a few trips to Germany over the winter months so need them to be legal.

I keep a set of 16 inch steels for these so am looking for 205x50R16 tyres at a reasonable price.

What are your thoughts on Nankang Winter Activa SV-3 tyres at around £70 versus Kumho WinterCraft WP51 at around £97 each

That’s quite a price difference (over £100 for 4) but what are the downsides of going for the cheaper tyres? From reviews I have read, Nankang are a reasonable tyre, has anyone got experience of this brand.

Comments welcome, thanks
Gerard.

1 Like

We have used winter tyres for over 30 years on many different fwd and 4wd cars , but not the MX5 which can stay at home in bad weather . I’ve tried cheap makes from Turkey and Korea , pricey Michelin and Vredesteins and much in between . In snow and ice , to be totally frank there was very little between them . They all worked infinitely better than any normal tyre and never failed to get me home - when home was a hamlet on the Moors accessed by a steep and narrow road . The only discernible difference was that a couple of cheaper brands were more prone to tramlining and torque steer.

I am currently using all seasons Goodyear Vector 4 seasons on my daily driver and they are excellent . I don’t drive the Hyundai 4wd for fun but if all seasons are legal in Germany they may be worth a look.

1 Like

I don’t trust tyres from China/Korea/trurky. I have all way’s kept to well known brands you can trust. It depends on what price you put on your life.

The Kumho WP51 has been replaced by the WP52 now, but I’d go with either of those over the Nankang. Have you checked Tyre Reviews in the 205/50/16 size? Reviews also suggest the Kumho would be the better bet.

When I was looking, I found 205/50/16 a particularly tricky size for all seasons and winters. I use mine all year round, but similar to John’s logic, thought I wouldn’t need full winters on it. So I settled on some Vector AllSeasons, but in 195/55/16 instead. However, I know German regs can require you to have EXACTLY the same size as OEM to be fitted.

Goodyear don’t offer them in 205/50/16, nor do most manufacturers looking at Camskill stock:
https://camskill.co.uk/m96b0s628p0/Winter_-_Snow_-_Cold_Weather_-_Car_MPV_Tyres_-_16_inch_R16_inch_-_205_50_16_205_50R16

All Season affords some more choice, so if they’re suitably marked with the Alpine symbol that’s where I’d look:
https://camskill.co.uk/m139b0s8002p0/All_Season_-_Four_Season_-_All_Weather_-_Car_MPV_Tyres_-_16_inch_R16_inch_-_205_50_16_205_50R16

alpine symbol with mountain pictogram

1 Like

It’s nothing to do with ‘putting a price on your life’ - it is about using tyres which are fit for purpose . My direct experience of Turkish and Korean winters was that they were very capable. Ironically, the worst tyres I have experienced in the last 30 years were the Dunlops on a new Yeti , which aquaplaned so badly it was almost funny

1 Like

I had Nankang SV2 on my old NA. They worked, but like all cheap tyres were a bit heavy and needed more balance weights than you might otherwise expect. I’d buy them again if budget was constrained.

On packed snow/ice you get around 1/4 normal grip with them. This means you don’t get stranded, as there’s always some traction, but the car can flip around if you are not careful with the throttle and, especially, the steering angles. Turn the wheel too much and the front wheels will dig in enough to allow the rear ones to overtake, and the spin is too fast to catch. I had an early morning practice in the work car park until I found the right technique. Then I could do nice fishtails without ending up facing the wrong way!

The NA had no driver aids, not even ABS - it may be easier on later models with and traction control (LSD or braking of the spinning wheel)

1 Like

Your quote.
“I don’t trust tyres from China/Korea/trurky. I have all way’s kept to well known brands you can trust. It depends on what price you put on your life”.

Blows your unfounded theory out of the ground really.
MAXXIS too and are a very good tyre.
Sure many others are made there too.

“There are several well-known tyre manufacturers who have factories in China including Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama and Continental and Pirelli’s biggest factory is located there. The Chinese base their design and the operation of their native tyre plants on the foreign model of their near neighbours”.

In addition Kumho (who many many people use on here) are South Korean owned and made.

Therefore, a personal thing perhaps and not based on safety.
As the OEM Bridgestone’s that came on mine were the worst tyre I have ever used.
Just an opinion.

I wonder what Hankook would think? Who incidentally make some very good winter tyres, along with Kumho and Nexen.

1 Like

It’s more the issue of getting them in a 205/50/16, which seems to be issue particularly for winters and all seasons.

For winters in an OEM size, I’d be minded to go upto a 17" wheel and run 205/45/17 where there is more choice. That runs against the usual logic of running smaller wheels for winter tyres, but there we go!

I bought Uniroyal Winterson the basis they were relatively cheap and they are owned by Continental in Europe so I would definitely trust them.
Don’t think you could go wrong with Kumho though, Korean and fitted to a lot of mainstream European cars as original equipment

1 Like

Did you buy in a 205/50/16 size?

There are a few 205 50 16 around, Davanti make one as well as Yoko, Falken, Michelin and Toyo as well as some budget ones. You will however get a massively greater choice at lower price in going to the very popular 205 55 16 size, which won’t hurt your car any in fitting.

2 Likes

I’m still looking… as you mentioned above there is a shortage of choice for 205/50R16 (at a reasonable price). Also need to find a local fitter if I get mail order. Blackcircles look a no go, your camskill link looks promising (thanks for that).

thanks for your replies and suggestions Nick, what are the issues of going for a 55 size, is there any question of legality?
cheers

I’m sure someone will be along to make a case that the world will end if you dare to deviate from OE tyre sizes, however would you rather crash with the “right” tyres on or not crash at all?
There can be lots of discussion about the finer points of what constitutes a good tyre, but sane road speeds on dry summer roads can tolerate a wider variety of tyre performance quality that snow cover roads where predictable performance and balance through the car are rather important. On that basis, I would not be looking at the less well known brands. Personally I would go Hankook I-cept. They are now the RS3 version.

1 Like

I run 195/55/16 for this reason - more choice and availability for all seasons. However, you may want to check German regulations if that’s one of your prime reasons for having winter tyres.

Also there was less speedo error and arch gap increase with 195/55, compared with 205/55:

195/55/16 compared to OEM:

205/55/16 compared to OEM:

1 Like

The reason why i will not fit cheap tyres as stayted above. Back in the late 60’s 70’s a few of my mates where killed on motor bikes that at the time had cheap inported tyres fitted.

Thanks for all the advice and help.
In the end, I decided to stay with the Mazda spec of 205/50R16 (primarily so my insurance company doesn’t have an excuse to question any potential claim) and took Nick’s advice on choosing the Hankook i*cept tyres.
cheers
Gerard.

1 Like

:roll_eyes:
I don’t think you understand or perhaps read that a great deal of PREMIUM brand tyres are made and imported from China, South Korea and so on.
Tyre manufacturing has come on some way in the last 50 years or so.
Have a look on yours and see where they were made.
Have a good evening.

Good advice, choice and brand. :+1:

1 Like