Replacing the suspension bushes

1. My model of MX-5 is: Mk 3 2006 2 litre
  2. I’m based near: Bristol

I have just finished a suspension job on my Mk3. I had noticed the rusting of the rear suspension struts, and thought I could save any further damage. The bushes were also looking perished around the edges; this proved to be a good call as I found two had rubber detached from the steel. I decide to use Polybush after some online research and a chat with a rep at the Resto Show. I researched as much as I could in general and specific to MX-5, and I gathered that it might be a “difficult job”. So I though it might be good to report a few things I noted as I think it will take me less than 100 hours next time.

Don’t forget this is my experience and you use it at your own risk.

“Highlights” included:

A reciprocating saw is very useful

2 bolts were seized to aluminium rear hub*

2 bolts were seized into steel bushes*

Ball joints were all released by tapping the ends of the studs

I broke an upper wishbone while removing bushes by pushing too hard between the two bush eyes

15 drills were broken or worn out

The rear links looked pretty good in black hammerite

Most rubber bushes can be cut out with a jig saw

Smaller bushes with metal end caps were heated and pushed out with make-shift press

Steel shells were cut and knocked out of aluminium wishbones to allow Polybush to be pushed in

Most Polybushes could be pressed in by “hand” when well lubricated

A bench vice is sufficient for the “bobbin” shaped bushes, or another make-shift press

Watch out for alignment of bushes as there are very few instructions

Upper wishbone ball joint taper must be closed to turn the nut

I replaced some of the cut/drilled bolts with ISO metric 10.9 bolts

There is plenty in the basic Haynes manual to follow generally so my observations here are additional discoveries.

The photo shows the full set of tools I used.

The collection of large sockets, 12mm threaded bar and two old hole saws with the teeth ground off were used to make the make-shift presses and pullers, along with the bench vice.

That is a bicycle spanner; it was very useful to hold some nuts in very awkward positions.*

Note the guard taken off the angle grinder. There was too little space to allow it so PPE and care had to be used instead. However the guard itself was a useful press spacer until I found the old hole saws.

The deep hexagonal sockets were also useful in a number of locations where a standard socket was too short and the usual short extension is too long.*

After earlier efforts, I slackened all nuts/bolts that were going to removed before I actually removed any. This gave a quicker picture of where problems lie, and the need for replacement nuts/bolts/washers. Some nuts also become very difficult to release once the support of the other struts/wishbones was removed. This also applies to releasing the ball joint studs, except for the upper wishbones (see below).

I tried a ball joint splitter unsuccessfully and ultimately all the joints released nicely with “tap” from a hammer. I left the nuts on, and the tap was quite “firm”.

I found that the front spring-damper units had to be removed to enable the rest of the disassembly. Each had to be removed at the same time as the upper wishbone and refitted at the same time.

The front upper wishbone ball joint stud had two issues:

First, the nut is secured with a split pin and rust prevented this from being removed in any normal way, so the ends had to cut and the remains filed away to allow the nut to travel over it.*

Second, the stud spins when you turn the nut unless the taper is pushed home to provide enough friction, so don’t knock the taper out until the nut is nearly off the stud.

Both the pinch bolts holding the ball joint end of the rear toe control link were seized, a typical aluminium-steel problem*. I did not have the reciprocating saw so used a grinder to remove bolt sections, then still had to drill a lot of bolt out before the remainder could be knocked out. I replaced the bolts with 10.9s.**

One rear alignment adjuster bolt was seized into its bush but the layout allowed an angle grinder to be used to cut the bolt inside the chassis mounting at each end. It was replaced with an OEM kit.

Similarly one of the rear inboard non-adjuster bolts was dealt with in the same way but replaced with a 10.9 bolt washer nut package**

The front camber adjusters are vertical in the chassis and positioned deep into the supporting member, with poor access to the top of the package. The nearside came out easily; the offside was seized solid. The bush is much deeper than the wishbone, so a reciprocating saw can be introduced relatively easily, unfortunately I didn’t have one, and tried to drill the bolt away from the bottom, consuming a number of drills, and finally finishing the remaining metal using a hand saw. This was replaced with OEM package.

I tried many methods to remove the old bushes. I wish I had known the following when I started.

Most strut bushes and all the lower wishbone bushes were most quickly removed by drilling adjacent holes through the rubber between the steel tubes and the outer shell, so that a jig saw blade can be inserted, then cut around with the jigsaw. I found a 5mm wide coarse tooth blade worked well. The saw jumps around a bit, it overheats and it gets bent, but carries on doing the job. Some may break. I suggest thorough PPE. I think a hot knife might be another alternative; you need something like a thin steak knife.

The upper wish bone bushes, the rear hub mounted bushes and the lower wishbone forward bush were removed by heating to rubber melting point and to expand the aluminium, then pressing out with a threaded stud-spacer and nut arrangement; see photos of my efforts. I got in trouble here,

breaking one of the wishbones. More heat and less pushing was the answer but unfortunately I can’t quantify. Luckily I was able to get a second-hand one, with bushes removed, for £25 and next day delivery!

The 10 wishbone bushes have steel shells against the aluminium. I tried fitting the Polybushes without removing them and they were obviously too tight. So I removed them. I cut through the shells radially adjacent to the thickest aluminium section. I nicked the aluminium almost every time, so I wanted to be in a location with low fatigue stress. I then folded the edges of that cut in with a drift (screwdriver, chisel, etc.), and eventually the shell would start to come out of the hole and could then be tapped through. I dressed out the saw nicks and drift marks (stress raisers), especially at the edges.

The rear links were drill wire brushed and a coarse file was run over them to remove the deeper patches of rust. Then they were immersed in the rust remover EVAPO-RUST for 24 hours though the temperature was too low for full effect. On removal, washing and drying, I still needed to run the wire wheels over each again.

Finally, I applied 3 coats of black hammerite.

I found that I could push most of the Polybushes in by hand if well lubricated, finishing off maybe by standing on them, or using the bench vice with a hollow spacer. I used two worn out hole saws with the teeth ground down for the larger bushes and sockets for the smaller ones. The “bobbin” shaped bushes required the vice or a make-shift press to start them, though Polybushes provided a reasonable taper to lead in. There are alignment issues to watch out for: on the lower wishbone shock absorber mounting, the flanges of the bobbin are contoured and only fit in one orientation, and the rearmost bush must have the text on top with the alignment arrow fore-aft because of the slotted hole in the steel bush. There is an instruction on the Polybush website for this that was not included with the set. In other locations, emulate the arrangement of the OEM bushes.

All bolts were sprayed with copper grease to prevent seizure, though I am thinking that cling film would be a good idea.

I reassembled each suspension system with everything hand tight, then torqued the nut/bolts without Polybushes, then jacked the hub up to the correct ride height. I noted that this can lift the car off the axle stand.

The rear struts could be replaced in any order except that the upper trail link should be replaced before the lateral link, otherwise I couldn’t get the hub end fitted.

I replaced the lower wishbone first without the shock absorber, supporting the hub on a box

For the upper wishbones, I tapped the taper back in place before I started tightening the nut to prevent the stud rotating. I found that one taper would tap back into place and stay there, but the other would jump out as soon as I started to turn. I had to hold the latter in place with a G clamp; see photo.

I then popped down to Lee at FMC in Bristol for alignment, who does a great job and suscinctly tells you about it. Then I put a few miles on the clock before rechecking tightness on all the bolts/nuts.

A job well worth doing; I wish I had known some of the above and I might have finished it in a week!

*There seem to be so many difficult access points and poor choice of adjacent materials that I can only assume that Mazda’s design team missed the “Design for maintenance” courses

**Others may want to stick to OEM fasteners. I am very familiar with fastener selection from my previous career, and where reasonable will replace automotive bolts with metric ISO structural bolts, which are stronger, offer a range of surface treatments, and have bigger heads, and nuts.

8 Likes

Excellent write up and quite frankly, scared the shoot out of me having a go myself. I few more bottles of Dutch Courage first methinks :thinking: :+1:

1 Like

Hi, Reggie, thanks for the compliment. You have to be committed to hacking and drilling, that’s for sure. I wish you courage and success.

1 Like

A brilliant guide, thank-you. It certainly paints the picture that I feared - that it’s a right pain in the ar$e!

1 Like

Thanks, the combination of rust/corrosion and the accessibility issues do push the job into that category. The bush removal would be OK if I was doing it again.

1 Like

Have you had chance to road test the work yet ?
Does it feel harsh like a few have claimed with poly bushes ?

1 Like

Yes, the bumpy roads of Bristol have tested it. I have Meister coil overs and stiffer anti-roll bars, so the suspension was already pretty stiff so I have noted very little increase. Overall, it is a stiff suspension, not a comfortable one. The response is highly damped, and very good through corners.

Hi, Dean, I had some more thought and did a bit of research. As stated by Polybush the company, polyurethane can be produced with a range of shear modulus in a similar range to rubber, so it is not inherently stiffer but it is also feasible that Polybushes are stiffer than OEM bushes. I should have measured as there is so much interest! However, I noted that the resistance of the wishbones bushes to be displaced by the spring-damper unit was negligible, that is, the stiffness of the suspension is dominated by the springs, and changes in the rotational stiffness of the bushes would have no effect on the ride quality.

Cheers for the feedback.
I have poly bushed a car or two previously ( both track day cars )

Theoretically a poly bushed car would allow the suspension to work better.

The standard bushes are rubber bonded to metal and are under torsional stress in normal operation.
Hence the issue people have if the pivot bolts are tightened whilst the car is in the air.

Poly bushes rotate around their steel centre and are not subject to rotational torsion.
You should therefore be able to tighten the pivot bolts - and the wishbones still move quite freely.

Dean, that’s interesting. The bushes that I fitted from Polybush the company work differently. Polybush state that they should not be greased and once installed I found that they gripped the mountings quite well. They work as bearings by twisting the polyurethane and not slipping. I suspect there is very little difference in operation between the Polybush ones and the OEM rubber.

Just had a look at the Polybush website - Theirs are constructed just like OEM - the polyurethane is bonded to the metal bush.

Many of the others ( powerflex as an example ) - the stainless sleeve is a separate item that is pushed in after fitting the two piece poly bush.
resize_image__50632

Some are and some aren’t. E.g. The double top hat ones come as three separate parts. I will let you know if they start squeaking.

Overall, I am finding the suspension setup with FMC’s fast road alignment brilliant on the windy hill climbs around my area!

This is both an amazing write-up and completely terrifying in equal measure! :joy:
Thank you very much for the time and effort it’s taken to produce this; it’s been added to the list of bookmarks for When The Time Comes. Dun dun duurrrrr

1 Like

Thanks, Matt

1 Like

Great write up - I’m just about to pick up my first 5 - a 78K Sport Tech. I’ve already got some replacement Billies on the way and will look at the bushes when it arrives but - may I ask what FCM charge for alignment please? - Not far from you - around 15 mile up the M5 - BTW - Do you have any good driving routes - preferably over the 'bridge Thanks in advance

Hi, Graham. Thanks and welcome. My Max had less miles than yours but is 16 years old, which is probably the more important issue for rubber deterioration. Most of my driving has been on the English side. I like the A46 going north of Stroud, and a nice hill climb called the Cotswold way near Barclay.

FCM charged £95; there were no complications

2 Likes

As an epilogue, while tidying the garage, I gathered the remains of the OEM bushes, etc.

3 Likes

I got the chance to take a Morgan out on an experience day recently (ish) and discovered the ‘Golden Valley’ which I’m thinking as you mentioned the M5 might not be that far away for you.
Not a particularly amazing driving road as such, but absolutely fabulous in an open top car and definitely on my personal to-do list when/if I get mine rebuilt. (Aim to get there during the golden hour, I think that probably helped a bit :joy:)

Does anyone on this thread know if we have a “good routes for MX-5s” thread? I searched to no avail.