Retro and budget home hi fi

Yes Richard, that’s certainly the type although they seem a bit narrower than the ones I was interested in late 60’s, so just a variation, different model number I guess.

Nice gramophone.

I would think that the cassette tapes would be failing these days as the magnetic media will probably come off the backing and the magnetic media may well loose it’s grunt. On the other hand it may still work.

I would think that’s correct. Not got the deck back yet but will be as good as it can be when it does reappear. The guys doing the work used to sell these systems back in the day and have a soft spot for them, they were happy to take it on  Regarding the tapes, I have a few

“older” pre recorded albums to try but I’m looking out for some new stock chromium dioxide blanks, the best my deck can handle, wasn’t made for metal tapes unfortunately. It’s all a bit of an experiment I guess, to see what it can and can’t do. I have the minidisc set up to have a play with too! Had a great DENON set up a few years ago but sold the lot including several minidisc players (all Sony) and hundreds of discs. Should have kept them 

Barrie

These are the chaps undertaking the refurbishments 

https://www.wilkinsons.tv/?page_id=4270

A great bunch and the shop is to die for! So much audiophile gear in there 

Barrie

Re Denon, my systems incorporate the Denon TU-1800DAB tuner, excellent piece of equipment!  

Bless. There’s always one! 

Barrie

Great sound systems shown here - now it’s all ‘Alexa’. It use to be so simple!

The picture at the top of the article is a bit misleading, they are wider than the picture suggests, 88cms wide by 74cms up along the slope (not the height from the floor), and the bottom picture is more representative. I’ve had them since the late 1970s. 

To protect the diaphragms and the transformer, I added some VDRs on the inputs to prevent arcing over on too-high signal levels.  Someone asked me about this a few years ago, but I’ve lost the circuit, and I’m not taking one apart again to find out what I did; they ain’t broke and the original flimsy construction looks like a home hobbyist nightmare, most unprofessional by today’s standards - CE would have a fit.

Morning Baz yes I am up at this time of the day, old habits die hard ie work, there you go I told you there would be a following out there. Reading the spec it says 2x mike sockets I can see they will come in handy for you carrieokey training, Tonight Mathew we are Barrie and Dawn, Peters and Lee, Sony and Cher,have I missed any out . You know what I am like anything standard so great to see the pics, maybe some inside shots just for me. Keep the info coming, cheers mucker Rob.

Morning Rob! I’ve started with modding already  line level adapter for the Sony unit to play through the AIWA pre amp. Bluetooth receiver plugged into one of AUX inputs, the Mourdant Short speakers, upgraded RCA interconnect leads etc. Can’t resist mate. To be fair, it’s shiny enough so doesn’t need any bling 

Barrie

A few pics from when I brought this lot home and started with the cleaning process. Just years of grime I guess 

You’ll need to send off the handles for re-chroming Barrie. 

(Taxi waiting)

Was hoping just a good rub with a brasso infused rag would suffice? 

Barrie

Well, it beats drinking the stuff.

1 Like

You can’t beat the old stuff can you.

We’re still using a NAD 3020 amp almost every day of the week, bought back in about 1984. Back then it had a record deck plugged into it, we then added an Aiwa tape machine, then tuner, than a CD player. All those have fallen by the wayside over the years and all that’s plugged into it now is bluetooth wotsit so we can stream music to it from a phone. Oh and we got Monitor Audio speakers along with the NAD Amp and still using them as well. 

So 1983 retro hifi works brilliantly with 21st Century streaming.

Now I’m going to ask you to be honest here. Did you press all the buttons and flick all the switches just to hear real mechanical clicks and clunks? I know I would have.

Beware of flicking very old switches!!! 

I rebuilt a tape machine many years ago (1981) and needed to run it last year to transfer something to digital. 

I made the mistake of trying to flick between two modes and the switch lever broke off at the first touch of my hasty finger tip - I was expecting it to flip 10mm as usual, but the grease in the switch had seized solid and instead the metal lever simply snapped just above the pivot.  If I had done the sensible thing and given everything a quick squirt of Servisol half an hour beforehand there would not have been a problem, as it was this meant a major strip-down and repair before I could do the transfer.

Ah yes. The grease that the manufacturer uses to lubricate the parts for life.

Note. Manufacturer definition of life. The length of time after which the item will fail and customer will buy a replacement.