Retro and budget home hi fi

Thanks guys for some great comments! Martin, Richard FX, roadie et al. Just to update, got an email from Wikinsons the hi fi guys, my cassette deck was ready to collect. 2 weeks to the day, brilliant service. Full check over, new belts all round, a thorough clean off of all the sticky residue from the old belts. Clean bill of health otherwise, pinch rollers all fine, tape heads fine, well pleased as it’s always a bit of a gamble buying 40 year old gear  £48.70 was the total bill! While there I asked about the 3mm countersunk screws that fasten the rack handles onto the various units. They could have scratched around in the workshop and come up with something (I needed 10) but rang theit local hardware shop in Nelson, 5 minutes away, who had them in stock! It was like a giant Arkwright’s, something for everyone . 50 pence later I was set up.

While in the hi fi shop, one of the guys showed me a set up they had for testing various turntables/amps/speakers etc. I could not believe what they had in their back room. Couldn’t take it all in  what did catch my eye was a pair of floor standing corner speakers from Tannoy. 15"" drivers, they were gargantuan! They’d had a test day with invited guests last weekend and stuff still in place  should have taken a picture but forgot in the excitement 

Barrie

Yes!

Barrie

That Aiwa is a nice set up Barrie, should last many years if looked after.

There’s a huge revival in vinyl with most new releases on that format.

Still using this set-up on a daily basis.

It’s from early '80s and apart from the Nakamichi tape deck needing a re-lube it hasn’t missed a beat

DSCF0831 by 19nutbrook

Interesting to note that most of the equipment mentioned is from Japanese manufacturers.

Back in the day, mid 80’s, I had little problem with spending money on hi-fi,

whilst complaining loudly to my ( unsympathetic ) girlfriend that I’d lashed out £12 each

on MFI chairs, and yet they gave me backache.

I sold my Linn turntable years ago to raise some money.

Still have and use the Audiolab 8000 amplifier, and KEF Reference 101 speakers. They’re great,

and British made.

The Audiolab company, and a number of other well known British hifi companies were taken 

over some years ago by a Chinese outfit. Presumably that’s where the kit is now made. Not really manufacturers

any longer, just brand names. 

Afterthought… ( from wikipaedia )

"…In the past the IAG purchased several British HiFi manufacturers: WharfedaleQuad Electroacoustics, Mission, Tag McLaren, Audiolab and Castle Acoustics plus several Italian manufacturers of lighting equipment including f.a.l. and Coef. It has manufacturing plants in Shenzhen, China employing 1500 people in the region. Design of the products is done by Chinese, American and European designers.

IAG also manufactures luxury yachts near Shenzhen which is the biggest yacht yard in South East Asia…  ".

Looks like a nice little system.  I love the retro hifi.  I have a Technics sl-5 Linear tracking turntable and a Bang and Olfsen beogram linked up to my somewhat newer Creek evolution amp.  

I remember the day when the famous British brands were the among best. Wharfedale speakers being one of the much admired brands. Then the Japanese came into the market with some very nice equipment. Sony were one of the higher priced better quality ones.

So where are we now? The British names have all been sold off to China and you can buy all sorts of low quality tat made in the third world with a Sony badge on it.

Don’t even seem to get any proper specifications anymore. Whatever happened to RMS power, frequency response graphs and THD figures?

It’s not too bad actually, there are still some excellent UK hifi manufactures, two of the best known are Naim and Rega, and there are quite a few others in the “high end” market.

Just sat listening to Santana  got a pic, everything together  The Sony unit is a bit of a mismatch but it fills the shelves.

Barrie

If you want high end British made speakers try Wilson Beneech manufactured in Sheffield, but you will need deep pockets!

Wow!

Do you have Santana Vol 3? It’s excellent driving stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QIyg5F-WzE 

There’s the rub.

They made stuff to last.

We still have our 1976 wedding gift Sony Cube alarm/radio clock which is as new, bar the sensor that lowers the facia digits at night which packed up probably…maybe 30 years ago or summat. 

Music kit has become a LOT more polarised, with the majority of listeners now using headphones or “lifestyle” systems, typically with “wife friendly” poxy little speakers.

In the area of what I’d consider genuine stereo systems, they’ve gone much more upmarket, partly to avoid competing with lifestyle and partly because those of us left with an interest tend to have deeper pickets and can afford better systems.

As mentioned, groups like Linn, Quad, Naim, Wilson Benesch, Meridian still at least operate from the UK, with some of them out sourcing to China (e.g. Quad), and thankfully many not (e.g. Linn, Naim, Meridian).

Back in my 20s, all of my friends and I had decent entry level systems.  Nowadays, and most of them still have those systems, but typically dethroned into spare bedrooms, studies and similar.  Such a shame.

Me, I now have a composite system to make everyone happy.

Speakers are reasonably big Impulse Ta’us, a 3 way horn loaded speaker weighing roughly 65kg each.  Imposing they might be, but they also look good with a real wood front baffle and are too heavy to knocked over by a small child.  Amp is a nice and simple Quad current dumping unit.  Pre-amp is a Meridian processor, capable of dealing with every format with the exclusion of the latest Dolby Atmos and similar.  I normally run it in stereo.  Also includes digital room correction capability, which certainly does get used.  The primary music source is a Roon server, though for background listening for the missus, I have an Amazon Alexa also plugged in (audio quality isn’t great, but hey, I don’t listen to the Alexa and it was dirt cheap).  Movies also go into the Meridian from a BD player and a Roku streaming player.

The implications are that once setup, it’s simple enough that my son could use it from the age of 5 and even the missus can use it (i.e. select the right input on the amp with one button, then tell Alexa what to play).  Also happens to sound “pretty good”.

Keep it coming guys! Some fantastic equipment being mentioned here Think I’ll just pack my stuff up quietly and get my coat! 

Scottishfiver, I was just listening randomly to a playlist on Spotify, Smooth was the track I had on when I posted 

Barrie

As well as the Linn/Quad/Meridian kit I posted earlier, I also have this:

hmv101 by 19nutbrook

Classic!  We have one of those when I was very young.  Being an inquisitive child I took it to pieces to see how it worked, unfortunately my attempts to get it back together were a failure, same with the large, Westminster chimes mantle-piece clock!

Following on from an earlier post by gerryn, I’ve installed the Internet radio app for FIP, I’d never heard of it before TBH. Anyway, it’s up and running, listening to some lady singing a bit of Jazz just now. The app, rather than trying to find it via the tuner, allows far greater functionality and I can listen to live broadcasts or search genre, listen to previous played tracks etc. I ‘think’ that’s what happens anyway when broadcasting finishes on an evening and a computer takes over for the nightshift 

On a slightly more amusing note, I was searching on eBay to have a look for similar systems to mine and found one in Leeds. Wasn’t bidding but in an attempt to see who was, I somehow managed to become the high bidder  my high bid was £45 with a maximum of £46, in a vain attempt to remedy this situation, I tried to rebid at £45, effectively lowering my maximum bid, hoping that someone may outbid me? Anyway, a combination of slow internet, my concern over this unwelcome activity by me, etc., I managed to increase my bid to, wait for it, £4545.00  !!! I liked the equipment but not that much! Anyway, got onto eBay FAQ’s and managed to retract all bidding by me for the item in question. I guess the system must see this sort of numpty behaviour quite a lot 

Barrie

After the above post I checked out eBay and a turntable combo. exactly the same as mine mentioned in post #9 is listed at £1495.00.  So it’s held its value all these years, allowing for inflation and £ devaluation, as it cost me about £110.00 in 1972.

Hmm, in that time inflation and devaluation works out at about a factor of 30 (definitely so if considered from before decimalisation), so I think you’ve lost 50%, but on the other hand think of the pleasure gained listening to it during that time - quids in.

My great grandfather founded the Edison-Bell Phonograph Company (he was previously a cabinet maker), and they made all sorts of ‘Acoustic Amplifiers’ for playing back their recordings including one a bit like that I used to play with.  However he did not believe in electric amplifiers because they distorted too much.  Because of this and him being mugged walking home in Regents Park, E-B P C went bust soon after.

The residue was bought up by various firms including what became the Gramophone Company, later EMI. 

We could have been rich!! (Reminds me of Clarkson and Kilner)

Oh well.