Ride height nd

1. My model of MX-5 is: __nd 2.0
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __after putting new wheels on last year still 17 inch the time has come to sort out the ride height. has anyone dropped there’s 40mm I was wondering what the ride was like after such a drop or is it best to stick with the 30/25 drop. the reason for thinking about 40mm is the standard wheel arch gap is massive and seeing pictures of the 30/25 mm drop doesn’t seem to reduce the gap by much

I suppose it depends on your view on cosmetic appearance vs practicality.

30/25 and you will need to treat road humps and ferry access ramps (if that’s your thing) with care, you will probably scrape the rear sub frame on occasion.

40, all of the above and more often.

3 Likes

As above - looks vs practicality!

~30mm drop also leaves the car veeryyy close to running on the bump stops all the time. Basically you have almost no wheel travel before the bump stops are engaged and the ride quality is greatly reduced, but it feels fast / responsive and sporty.

40mm will have you riding on the bump stops permanently.

1 Like

Personally on my ND I’ve just popped Eibach Pro springs on the stock shocks. I’m not a track driver or even a fast road driver. I just drive to work and back in it so I wasn’t too bothered about full on coilovers… Maybe when the shocks go I’ll change to Bilsteins, maybe :slight_smile:

The ride height is spot on I think, less body roll, no issues with speed bumps and looks nice.

Before

After, on Eibach Pro Springs

3 Likes

I also went for the Eibach springs (and 25mm spacers all round):

Wouldn’t recommend 25mm all round, 15mm front and 20mm rear seems most common.

You can see more pictures on my car thread:

2 Likes

Reduced mine all round will be dropping her a 5/10mm later on in the year with tyre change but for now Like the stance of the 2019 ND.2 2.0

Just a quick question, do you notice any big changes/issues with the spacers? I was thinking of fitting some myself but hear mixed stories etc

I have developed a bit of neck ache as I seem to spin round and look at my car every time I leave it now. Previously, when it looked a bit like the bottom half of a van had been transplanted onto the top half of a sports car, I didn’t do that so had no issues :upside_down_face:

Handling, seems ok to me! 18mm front, 20mm rear spacers.

1 Like

I had some rubbing due to the size I went with but other than that I can’t think of any other negatives