Roof up, Roof down

Remember earlier this year when you could get in NT parks without booking. We pitched up at our local one very early, frost on the ground and us lovely and warm top down. Lady in the welcome hut, heater on full blast, hands cupped around a coffee and she had multi layers on saying to us, you must be freezing.:grin:

2 Likes

So many of the simple pleasures that we just used to take for granted have now become difficult , nothing seems the same as it used to be let’s hope for better times ahead.

1 Like

Yes top down whenever possible, have a cap for the sun and something warmer foe more chilly weather (I have a flying hat) but if I’m on my own the music is usually a little bit loud. (Because of the wind and road noise honest)

On a cold crisp but sunny Winters day , it’s surprising how warm you can be with the top down and the heater on.
It’s only the top of my shiny bald aerodynamic head that gets cold , so I always have a hat in the cubby hole for those occasions.
With the top down, it’s surprising how many odd looks you get on a cold winters day, or maybe it’s just the old straw hat with flowers in it,
but as the saying goes " if you have to explain to them, they wouldn’t understand.

4 Likes

Always found the heaters in all our 5’s to be very good…also helps to have heated seats :smile:

1 Like

Forgot about the heated seats! Retro fitted them to the previous NC, came as standard on the current one. Very nice to have :+1:
Barrie

Always down unless heavy rain or stationary in light rain.

1 Like

The roof is mainly up for me, as I only drive it on the road to fill up with fuel ready for the track.

1 Like

Had my MX5 nearly 2.5 years and you can count prob on one hand the number of times the car had been run with the roof up, only done about 3000 miles in that time though.

2 Likes

My late wife absolutely loved going out with the hood down, even if the weather was cold. The only time I remember her “vetoing” this was when we were going to a wedding. We could have used our sensible car but she wanted the enjoyment of having the hood down on the way back home afterwards.

4 Likes

I followed a hard-topped BRG Mk2 on the A25 out of Reigate a couple of days ago, when we had temps of 28 degrees. They had their windows down and it reminded me of when I bought my 2.5, driving home airconless from the dealer in baking August sun. I lost half a stone in sweat, I reckon.

Hard top came off when I got home and save for one two-day period in dead of winter, it was stored indoors until I sold the car.

1 Like

You can never have too many hats. We’ve got 6 in the car, 4 baseball type caps (OC caps) and woolly beanie hats. My missus still wears her straw wide brimmed hat mostly, she nearly lost it on the M42 yesterday when I passed a high sided truck at 70.:smile:

2 Likes

My wife would probably make me stop to pick it up. :rofl:

1 Like

I keep mine up in the garage - why? :thinking: To stop spiders and stuff dropping in! :+1:

7 Likes

same here - burn easily but as much as possible down bar motorways…

2 Likes

My MK1 goes better with the roof down i am sure …

1 Like

i have a mk1; the rear screen is split so I dont need the roof down. Would appreciate a replacement zip in window
Nev

1 Like

My wife was given a wide brimmed floppy hat , with a thin silk scarf tied around the brim that hangs down the back proper 1970s style , I love it but she wasn’t sure, but she,s grown to love it on sunny days .
You can’t beat those Buff neck warmers in the Winter, you can pull em up over your mouth and look like a Highwayman , or pull it over you head like a hat, and look like Hilda Ogden , choice is yours :grin:

4 Likes

Went to an appointment in the red 'un taking the long way home, lovely sunny, if very windy day, roof down of course and during the journey coming towards me at different places were a ref RF, tin top shut, black ND, roof up, black NC, roof up, and the occupants didn’t respond to my energetic waving, all I got were blank stares. Ah well, par for the course round here I’m afraid.

1 Like

Seems to be par for the course wherever.

1 Like