Roof up, Roof down

…should be an instant fine and or points on license for that sort of behaviour…!!

2 Likes

We’ve just come back from a week in Dorset, saw loads of MX5’s got a few waves back , but even more blank looks, it was an older Gent in an old chrome bumper yellow MGB convertable that smiled and gave me the thumbs up! hey ho, although I think some owners just are not looking at whats coming the other way , or see you too late…maybe. :face_with_monocle:

Perhaps stating the obvious…but to see a wave or a response, you have to be looking at the right moment.

I do raise a finger (not the middle one) when I encounter another 5 but on the occasions when I have not had an apparent response it has occurred to me that they might already have waved at me when I was looking where I was going.

Unlike some I don’t get irked at being ‘ignored’ - in any case I only try to acknowledge them in case it matters to them. And I certainly don’t attempt to draw any conclusions about Mk1/2/3/4 drivers!

2 Likes

Hi yes I agree you sould not have a mx5 with the roof you that is what they are to have them down why make them to have it it’s not right :rage::joy:

What???

2 Likes

Yes why have it if you don’t use it with the top down as I have got mk 4 and love it and for now much they are you do that to have it nigel👍

1 Like

Ah! Now that sentence makes sense! Thanks! :+1:

1 Like

Consider that some people might like the car for what it is, regardless of the top. But as they don’t make one without the roof that removes (apart from the glorified sunroof on the RF!) they still buy the car

I agree, but I always nod or raise a hand regardless, and its nice to get a response, but it doesn’t really bother me if I don’t get one, it was just an observation.
There are so many MX5s about of all MKs, they are just all MX5s to me, I’ve never noticed a difference between drivers of a particular MK.

3 Likes

I missed a friendly wave today around Cranleigh, from a couple in a grey Mk4. My wife pointed it out so I raised my arm and waggle it vigorously above the roof (which was down) line, hoping they’d see it in their rear view mirror.
Bloke behind me probably thought I was berating him. :confused:

1 Like

Honest John in the Daily Telegraph reckons that the air con should be on all the time regardless of whether the roof is up or down.

Agree entirely. I also have a Thinsulate hat and an MX-5 Competition cap behind my seat.

I don’t care if people think I’m an elderly idiot driving with my top down in cooler weather. I have a NC RC and always fold the top if the weather is fine and at least 10 Degrees.
I previously owned a MK2 Isola with a hood. I did not have a hardtop as I do not have room to store one - garage full of junk!
Also, as I see it, the problem with having a hardtop is that you have to decide whether or not to take it with you or leave it at home. You can’t suddenly decide to take it off whilst you are out if the weather changes.
I prefer the RC which feels more secure when closed. The excellent heaters on both MX-5s have kept us cozy when driving in cooler conditions with the top down…

2 Likes

I can’t understand why one person gets annoyed at another’s choice. I’m with the top down brigade, but personally I couldn’t give a damn what other’s choose to do, whether it be roof up, or roof down. It’s the same with waver’s. I always wave when I see another MX5, but it doesn’t bother me if they don’t. It just makes me smile when they do. Each to their own choice is my mantra.

5 Likes

It’s a personal choice I think. If they own the car, it is their choice. Although, I do prefer to drive my MX5 with the roof down, as it’s a much better driving experience.

5 Likes

Travelling (preferably driving !) in an open-top car is one of life’s great affordable pleasures, and journeys in my 5 are generally done topless.

However, there is a situation where my wife is not that keen - when we are going out, to lunch or whatever, she prefers having the lid up on the way to our destination, because otherwise the wind, or even a scarf or a hat, messes up her hair ! Not such an issue on the way home, because she says, nobody is going to see her !

2 Likes

Well yes that’s up to yes but when you pay a lot off money for the cars and the one thing you get them for is to have it down that is the fun in it

I think this is the second most popular topic globally over all the various different forums and discussion boards after ones about waving :sunglasses:

Personally it’s down by default and then will be raised on motorways (rarely used) and if precipitation overcomes airflow.

I saw quite a few 5s out on my drive on Saturday. Embarrassingly for me the roof was up on a lovely day - my dog doesn’t like the roof open and as you can see she was in charge!
Imgur

3 Likes

I love a nice doggy picture :+1:

Barrie

3 Likes