Run flats do I get some?

New to MX5 and bought a nice little weekend number… no spare! I know lots of you may smile but I’ve had cover via runflats on my BMWs for years…runflats on MX5 feedback

Very heavy compared to proper tyres, so increases unsprung weight which on a lightweight car is not ideal, and very stiff sidewalls, which will probably compromise the ride. Runflats also much noisier, and there’s less choice of tyres and compounds available.
I’ve changed from runflats to normal tyres on every new BMW I’ve owned and never regretted it, (apart from the cost of changing)
Personally I’d just make sure you have a decent breakdown cover in place and use decent quality non runflats.

2 Likes

Decent breakdown cover and a couple of cans of tyre weld.

2 Likes

My dad had run flat tyres on a 2002 Mini Cooper, and he said the drive was so firm and heavy that it wasn’t nice.
Each to their own, but I wouldn’t consider them for my NB.

3 Likes

NO! Don’t do it !

3 Likes

Thank you, looking at the squirts tins and cigarette lighter pumps now

Thank you, going down that route now. Have also considered the emergency wheel but don’t want it in the boot to be honest

Agree with all the above.
When I owned a Z4 I found the ride back breaking due to run-flats.
My feeling is they would ruin an MX5.
I have a full sized spare in the garage and cross my fingers I won’t need to use the emergency kit!

3 Likes

Hi,
Have a read of this it might help you make a decision. :+1:

2 Likes

Run Flats on normal rims would not be run flat for very long.

3 Likes

On BMW’s at least, the wheels are the same (part number) irrespective of which type of tyres are fitted, runflats or proper tyres, however there’s plenty of anecdotal evidence that 1/ runflats cannot be driven very far if punctured, but may get you out of danger, and 2/ if you do try and drive any distance wheel damage is common.
What’s worse, if runflats could be part of the standard spec some manufacturers fit additional heavy iron damper weights close to suspension components mounting points to minimise the additional NVH that runflats create.
Although they’ve improved, they’re still a poor substitute for normal tyres imho.

3 Likes

Only if you’re paranoid about getting a puncture and you don’t care how the “5” would “feel” as they will affect it’s ride and handling - negatively! :-1: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Many thanks

:+1::joy: thank you.

Emergency kit seems the way forward :+1:

1 Like

Heavy fat cars work great with run flats. Light cars font. My 2p for what it’s worth.
Don’t ruin an MX5 with a set!

2 Likes

I had run flats on my BMW 330D. The TPS flagged up a puncture as I set off for work. I checked and found a nail in one of the rear treads.

I reckoned it should be repairable (no problem where it was damaged on a normal tyre) pumped it up and drove straight to my local tyre place, only two miles away. They told me it was company policy not to repair run flat tyres because of possible hidden, more serious damage because some drivers go many miles on them although they are flat.
OK, said I, how much for a new one? Bad news, they said. It would take over a week to get one. So a run flat on some cars might just get you as far as the tyre shop, no further. Then the car is undriveable for a week.

I fitted “normal” tyres and was pleased with them. It was only when I later came to fit new tyres to the front wheels (a different size to the rears on that car, hence no spare being supplied) that I realised the previous owner had already fitted non run flats!

I bought a tyre puncture repair kit and pump with a latex bottle (as supplied in Volvos) and carried that instead.

2 Likes

will totally ruin the ride imo…

1 Like

I agree - the ride will be compromised every mile that you drive. Compared to how often do you get a puncture (that you do not notice on the drive)?

Don’t do it!!

1 Like

Here is my very technical test from some years ago now. Same size tyre, same manufacture. Guess which one the run flat is? :laughing:

1 Like