Rust converter & Inhibitor bodge?

My MX5 is looking rough and I maybe have 2 years left in it before the issues outprice the value of the car. In the mean time, I want it to temporarily look good for those remaining 2 years however.

For the arch bubbling, I plan to do it as well as I can without welding (as I can’t weld) so the usual sanding to bare metal, remove rust, treat, filler and paint.

The issue I have however is the engine bay. There’s just bits and pieces in really fiddly places I can’t realistically do as thorough job on while the engine is in the car. I was wondering therefore how viable a short-term bodge may be therefore and if anyone had any experience with it. In short, a quick wire brush to remove the loose debris, a liberal helping of Kurust rust converter and then a black anti-rust primer.

I know the rust will end up coming back, but should the above give a decent showing for it’s last couple of years?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __

You don’t say which model of MX5 you have. All MX5s rust. If it is a MK2, the engine bay rust might be a more serious problem.
Surface rust you can treat with an inhibitor, where you can’t get down to bare metal in your engine bay.
Never found Kurust to be any good. I now use Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80. It is much easier to use. But I’m sure there will be other oppinions.

1 Like

It’s a MK2 unfortunately. One of the front rails combined with the rear sill is what will eventually kill that car.

The bit I am talking about however isn’t that but rather other bits - the ends of brackets etc. basically, nothing structural just eyesores.

Treat, rattle can, don’t look at the engine (too much) for 2 years would be the approach,

If you are intending to keep the car for a few years, I wouldn’t be so certain though that repairs would exceed the value of the car though.

Thanks. It’s a high mile Cat S from a rear collision so it’s worth very little in terms of resale. If I was to start sinking real money into an mx5, I’d buy a mk1 instead as I could probably just buy another mk2 in the same condition it is now for the same money it would cost to repair mine.

I’ll give it a go though and hopefully get a couple eyesores out of the way.

Pikey cavity wax injection = Used engine oil.

1 Like

If it’s just cosmetic and not subject to regular exposure to or immersion in water/salt, you may find that Hydrate 80 alone will be adequate. See my post at https://forum.mx5oc.co.uk/t/its-time-i-gave-something-back-to-the-forum/117342/40 - it still looks OK.