It's time I gave something back to the forum

Time to get down and dirty …….

Like so many other NAs and NBs, the suspension components on my Roadster appeared seriously corroded. Everything is structurally sound, but aesthetically, I thought it could be much better.

I’d bought Bilt Hamber rust converter to deal with this and any other significant rust on the Roadster:

Hydrate 80

I also bought some Corroless chassis paint:

Corroless Chassis Paint

My intention was not to achieve a showroom-type finish, just to improve the look (perhaps also avoiding what appears to be a stock MoT tester’s advisory note) and, hopefully, delay the onset of more corrosion.

Armed with a selection of wire brushes and working one corner at a time, I removed as much of the loose surface rust as I could, but I didn’t bother cutting back to bare, shiny metal – this wasn’t going to be a restoration. This was followed by a liberal coating of Hydrate 80. I left it to do its work and came back to black(ish) suspension components.

My Roadster is garaged and, wherever possible it’s not used in poor weather - we have another car for everyday use – so I decided on an experiment. I would apply the Corroless paint only to one of the 4 corners, leave it until the spring and then assess whether Hydrate 80, on its own is capable of suppressing further (atmospheric) corrosion. After 6 months, it looks like this:

As for the bodywork, everything seems in good condition and there’s no evidence of paint bubbling at the wheel arches, with all original spot welds present:

image image

I bought a borescope to inspect the cavities:

Borescope

In case anyone’s thinking of getting one of these, here are some examples from mine, showing inside the sills:

image image

and inside the front chassis rails:

image image

image image

Along with the Hydrate 80 I also bought some Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 for inside the sills and the chassis rails.

Dynax S50

This will be a job for the spring/summer. Again, this will be to delay further corrosion rather than eliminate it.

3 Likes