Rustproofing a new 2024 MX5?

Hey there,

would you recommend to rustproof a brand new 2024 MX5? The dealer told me that latest models come with galvanised steel and aluminium, so rust proofing is not needed. Is it true?

I live in Ireland where I think salt is used less than UK, but always used and the weather is similar.

Thanks!
M.

You dealer is not being totally honest. All MX5s will rust from the inside out.

If you are going to keep the car for a long time then it will be beneficial to you to do some ‘rust proofing’, if you are only keeping it 3 or 4 years then it would only benefit the next keeper so save your money and spend it on fuel.
:heart:

1 Like

It’s a car with a long life if rust can be kept at bay.

I took the view that I would like to keep it as long as I can anyway, and that if I did sell it 3 or 4 years in or even sooner then it would make it easier to sell. I’d certainly be keener on a rust-protected car than an unprotected one, all else equal, and I’d be prepared to pay more.

That was 7 years ago. I look at it every MoT - no brown bits visible yet. I don’t see why it won’t last 20 years, trouble is I might not make it to 84:(

If brand new, use clear wax (there’s nothing to cover up) and it shouldn’t cost the full whack if there’s no cleaning and rust conversion to do. Have a word with MX-5 Restorer maybe.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! will investigate more about the possible options for a new car.

The ND from about 2017 has been has been full body zinc electroplated, so should be better than earlier models. However it is a thin coating and will not provide the same level of protection of something like a Volvo.

Plus all the subframes and suspension arms are prone to rust as their ‘coatings’ are minimal to say the least.

1 Like

Plus all those aluminium panels will benefit from some injection of wax to help seal the ‘joins’.

1 Like

I need to find someone reputable in Ireland now…

You can do it yourself, it is time consuming and a bit messy but not difficult, especially on a new car.

Which is the best product to use for a new car?

I have used Waxoyl but there are other products available such as these Anti-Corrosion – Bilt Hamber.

1 Like

I purchased a very low mileage 3 year old ND R Sport last year and despite being kept in a garage the subframes and suspension bits are showing early signs of rust. In comparison my slightly older Ford Focus, which lives on the drive, is showing a good bit less. Although probably better protected than previous generations the ND still leaves a lot to be desired., so I would strongly recommend rustproofing. I have booked mine in to the MX-5 Restorer before rust gets too much of a hold.

3 Likes

I used Dinitrol which offer a range of rustproofing products. I used ML which is a thin liquid wax inside the subframes and door panels and sills. It’s big advantage is that it flows and creeps along seams and panels in a way that thicker waxes do not. I then applied 4941 which is a thicker, black waxy coating similar to bitumen on the subframe outer surfaces and the underside of the car.

Surely Mazda could subject the subframes to the same process before fitting to the bodywork?

Had my ND in for a main dealer service today (2018 Z Sport). They have leaflets on all desks pushing their own rust protection service. £279.

Unfortunately they don’t. They are steel and have a very thin coat of black paint. The welds start to show signs of rust first but on the plus side they are reasonably thick so it will take a long time to actually ‘rot’. They become unsightly quite quickly which is why I protected mine both externally and internally. I use Duck oil Swarfega Duck Oil®,Multi-Purpose Lubricant,Tin,5ltr SDO5L | Cromwell Tools on the suspension arms, springs and shock absorbers to keep them looking clean.

Going back to the apparent deletion of the 12v socket it crossed my mind that they would not do that as the puncture repair pump would become useless if there were no place to plug it in. Perhaps they have deleted the repair kit as well!!!

It would be interesting to establish just what they do & the products they use for that price. Obviously they have access to a vehicle lift which makes the job easier but just preparing the vehicle, removing wheels & wheel arch liners & masking off discs, calipers & exhaust would take at least one hour and at main dealer rates that will be £100. Then there’s the cost of the product on top. If the vehicle is not new, it would need thoroughly steam cleaning and any existing rust would need treatment before applying the protection.
In conclusion, I can’t imagine a particularly thorough job for £279 but I may well be wrong!

Very much my thoughts when they mentioned the price. I had been quoted £550 from an independent (presuming no welding) with a 4 day turnaround. Mazda at half that for an overnight process seems very cheap.

I took a leaflet and will post a copy of it here later.

I have seen somewhere that Lanoguard has to be reapplied every year.