Sam's supercharged 1991 Mk1

Going to create a progress thread on my supercharged mk1 .

Bought my mk1 mx5 in sept 2021, already supercharged but running a poorly performing chargecooler setup, it was generally a bit tired, but as my second car and having some good experience wrenching on cars i wasnt afraid to get stuck in.

This was going to be a track and road car, no commuting just fun so hopefully people will be interested!

Jackson racing supercharged 1991 mk1. 1.8 non vvt swapped with a 6 speed and torsen LSD. So good bones to start with.

4 Likes

First couple of jobs where to get rid of the ebay special steering wheel, horrible bendy thing was also a bit small for me at 270/280mm. Got a nice 300mm OMP deep dish wheel on.

Also swapped out the clear lense rears for oem. Like it much better.

w

3 Likes

After a couple of months driving it was time to get some big jobs done so i knew exactly where she was in terms of servicing before tracking.

So front covers off, cambelt and full service.

4 Likes

Onwards! January 2022 now, christmas always busy but progress being made, painted the valve cover, some general tidying up, coolant reroute etc!

5 Likes

Right so next was addressing the poorly setup chargecooler. The barrell seemed ok from what i could find as was the pump. But! It was plumped into a rad the size of an oil cooler, shocking. So got a half rad for cheap to see what i could make of the current system.

Plus decided to change my afr location so i could have all my vents back. Plus fitted an oil cooler and oil cooler pressure/temp gauge ready for track work.

d

5 Likes

Is that an official Mazda camshaft locking tool?

Was surprisingly cost effective!

First thing I would have done was also to get rid of the “chav lights” at the back! The OEM lights are genuinely displayed in a museum of modern art: Mazda Motor Corporation, California. MX5 Miata Automobile Taillight. 1983 | MoMA The Lexus-style lights make any car look like a Max Power Saxo.

New Mazdas bizarrely picked up on the trend in the early 2000s, just as Lexus were wisely dropping this style of light. They were a bit behind the curve there.

3 Likes

Look at the second post! It was one of the first things i did.

I did! I was agreeing with you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately before my first track day I took the mx5 for an alignment and they condemned the bushes as un-adjustable. conceding to the fact i needed a full suspension rebuild i decided id put that off to winter 2022 and just enjoy the car for a bit and do some other work to it.

Fitted some fibreglass kit car seats to get me lower in the car, havnt got a good photo of them currently but this is the passegner, also some decent ASM schroth harnesses.

Had a curborough day booked with the Rolls-Royce Employees motor club in april, thought this was a low risk test of the car to see what i could find wrong.

Couple of days before i picked up a set of nice bronze SSR type m alloys with tr1 tyres, hadn’t heard great things and to be honest i agree not alot of grip.

A couple of maintenance items next, rebuilt the shifter, the boot was knackered as you can see and someones attempt at a makeshift job wasnt really up to scratch.

And the window bushes, very overdue.

1 Like

Couple of cosmetic mods to the front end, plate, splitter and front TSI’s, tow hook for track days.

1 Like

So, I found intake temps where wayyyy too high with the chargecooler, so with wanting to do more trackdays and reliably, I decided bofis intercooler was the way to go (featuring Katsu, he was more interested in the box). Technically not designed for the JRSC setup but their salon Motorsport package, but it works perfectly.

1 Like

After putting on the intercooler i wanted the tune checked over, i talked to Tom from coldside engineering to remotely have a look at the tune, straight away after the first log he could see it was far too lean at high revs especially with the smaller TDR pulley, :triumph:, standard injectors, so another purchase of some 550cc EV14 injectors.

after about 14 iterations the tuning was complete, mostly back and fourth to get the idle characteristics right.

1 Like

August 2022 now, and i was planning for the winter, that was a full underside refurb, a spare set of arms where acquired, blasted and dipped in Bilt hamber deox C, then painted in a zinc primer ready for top paint and then underseal.

1 Like

Finishing the year with a drive out to Dynodaze to see what power it was making, 198 engine horsepower (once 5th was used not 4th hence 4 runs), happy with that! Visit to Caffeine and machine afterwards for some lunch, before heading home where she would spend the next 4-5 months on jackstands.

1 Like

Awesome progress, car looks excellent. Huge fan of psi’s here.
I’m currently collecting arms and subframes myself for a full underside refurb, il keep that bilt hamber deox stuff in mind cause those look great

1 Like

yeah i like them alot, although im unsure if they hamper airflow through the rad (causing higher pressure in the engine bay), i may block them off at the back.

Psi’s I said but I’m also a fan of tsi’s, my air filter from my turbo sits directly behind mines and I don’t have an undertray, I haven’t noticed any staggering temps yet.

Do you know if the deox stuff work on painted parts or do they need to be stripped down first?