Sam's supercharged 1991 Mk1

Oops, read that wrong.

I have noticed issues with coolant temps on track this year even with all oem undertray, although a fair bit had to be cut away to fit the piping, so thats something im working on currently, there will be an update when i get to that. Currently a year behind :rofl:.

No Deox needs a cleanish surface its not an acid strip, but i wont pretend to know the full ins and outs, im no chemist!

1 Like

Onto the refurb,

Arms all painted up in buzzwelds chassis paint and then their underseal WAR, superpro bushes fitted.

Diff and GB oils drained, and then the rear subframe along with all bits attached removed, so far, no stripped bolts, however i couldnt get the lower mushroom off the PPF so i pulled it with the subframe and diff.

Working in a single garage so rear first then front once the rear is finished.

22/11/2022

1 Like

So much room for activities! bit of a before image.

Good to confirm the Diff is indeed a Torsen

Arms off the subframe

and all disassembled with the help of a little fire and plus gas

23/11/2022

1 Like

I had noticed a bit of clutch slip in the year so thought while i was there id wip off the GB and and see what i was working with, safe to say it was pretty tired

Picked up a Skuzzle “hybrid” clutch

and started on the rear underside.

18/12/2022

1 Like

I sent my subframe off to the powdercoaters, a nice christmas present to end the year. I had a spare but my lack of organisation meant its still in my garage to this day (14/08/2023 :rofl:)

and a new year present arrived on the 6th of Jan, my resurfaced flywheel.

New RMS before it goes on, may aswell! £20 mazda part, makes sense.

1 Like

New year motivation, Rear chassis all painted up with buzzweld rust encapsulating primer, chassis paint then WAR top coat.

New rear brake line fitted with HEL distribution block (to be used wit their braided lines.

New diff seals, mazda oem of course.

and rebuilt the Master and slave using Mazda oem rebuild kits, gave them a splash of black.

10/01/2023

1 Like

PHEW! just writing this is exhausting let alone doing it.

New simpler clutch line and rebuilt slave and master

rear subframe and finished rear end (havent started on the floor yet) new heat shield, because why not, wasnt expensive

then poof, as if by magic diff in and rear mostly finished (spot the missing part)

21/01/2023

1 Like

Bosh, clutch on

and some new 3mm stainless roll bar plates

GB went back on, drive shaft on, exhaust on and car turned around, couple of brake mods, new rear adjustment valve and brake stopper. also not pictured i replaced all the brake hardlines, thought i would as i new the old fixings would be knackered on each corner…

26/01/2023

Next was the front, this was much much easier, alot less parts, with the engine on a jack, out came the front subframe, again didnt use my spare in the garage whjich it still is to this day, i decided id paint this one myself, picture with the primer on.

Rear arms with new ball joints and bushes, all painted

Old engine mounts had seen better days, so new ones in went for uprated il motorsport rubber ones, these are nice actually not too different from OEM

Subframe all finished with engine mount plates with a splash of silver and ARB collars painted

Then thats it, subframe back in, engine on its mounts.

04/02/2023

1 Like

Spent the next 2 weeks finishing the underside, i didnt get many pictures, quite restricted with the car a foot from your face.

Engine bay, id like to look at tidying all the wiring, maybe next winter

25/02/2023

1 Like

Busy march away from the car, new brakes arrive from freaky parts

Acrylic finishing panel for the engine bay.

the throttle cable had this janky etup, which although works, it looks awful, i have a hunch why this was done and that was that they kept the original 1.6 throttle cabe. purchased a second hand 1.8 NB thottle cable and lo and behold, much nicer now.

New j hook discs and pbs pro race pads. these are the standard 1.8 255/251 (give or take a few mm i cant remember exactly) these have been awesome on track this year.

06/04/2023

1 Like

I forgot pre new brakes ( they arrived late because of out of stock discs) i did a shake down of the new suspension and got some part worn giti gtr2 tyres to try. Car was great and the only thing that went wrong was a weeping power steering pipe, new pipe and new fitting and that was fixed.

Beginning of April also brought on an impulse buy on FB marketplace of my new road/wet track wheel.

love the Meister S1 favourite wheel on an MX5 so i couldnt say no. Also did some cavity waxing hence the garage floor panels to catch the drips.

then as if it was predicted a very wet track evening at donington on the 12th of April.

1 Like

Silverstone with the owners club for japfest, went on the first wet session of the day, im determined to get some dry track time this year :rofl:

May and June where full of social engagements, two wedding, two stag dos and a holiday, so July!

New twin fans for help at lower speed tracks like curborough … and blyton

another FB marketplace bargain, i can now run the semi slicks down to the chords and get home legally, certainly looks the part.

And a fantastic day at Blyton with the MX5 owners club on the 9th of July

3 Likes

Look mum i made it!

However Blyton spelled a bit of disaster, i had to limp home at lunch due to my supercharger tensioner breaking, seems the aluminium bracket isnt made for track, a bit of research shows this is common, the hunt began for a new bracket!

The solution came almost a month later, the mx5 was sulking in the garage, and FB marketplace of all places, someone had a TR lane kit new they hadnt used, that bracket is a steel design and is the same as the old JRSC. Fingers crossed this should be fine, shes now running very well after a few road drives. Im going to enjoy it on the road for a month, work on some ducting for the coolant radiator and go chase my friend MG ZR race car on track at snetterton on the 14th of September!

10/08/2023

2 Likes

Nice local meet in Derby, with RREMC, “tyres and tacos” at the newly developing Great Northern Classics GNC. Looking to be a fantastic venue.

2 Likes

Moody image

2 Likes

Made it down to mx5 Europe meet at car cafe in August

1 Like