Shortshifter or ....not?

Hi, looking for some advice/expieriences about shortshifters…as i consider fitting them to my NA 1.6 and NC 3.5 2.0 . I know the MX5-gearboxes are first class but i thought an even shorter throw might make it even better. Some shifters mention a 25% throw, others a 40% throw.
After some research i found some things to consider ; 1. you might get (a lot?) more transmission noise, 2. It would put extra strain to the gearbox . 3. Gearchanges would be harder/stiffer and in some cases engaging the 5th gear would be even stiffer…
I wouldn’t mind a stiffer gearchange as i guess it’s a consequence of the mod. The NC is my daily so it has to stay acceptably smooth and relaxing to drive. The prices are from 60 eur to about 200 eur, are the more expensive ones worth the price difference?

1 Like

I had a NA with a short shifter. Couldn’t wait to ditch it.

1 Like

And what was your argument to ditch it? noise, Harshness, others?

1 Like

Didn’t like the feel of it. Felt less precise.

I fitted a short shifter to my 2016 1.5l ND. I think it was a 20% reduction in throw. Biggest problem I had was selecting reverse gear. So much so I wished I hadn’t bothered.

Shifting was noticeably different even at 20%. It was ard to imagine how any more would have felt.

For me shifting was shorter and other than the reverse gear selection I didn’t have any other issues.

Would I do it again though… No :-1:

1 Like

I fitted a Magnum gear knob to my NC.
This effectively reduces the length of the lever by an inch or so, thus reducing the length of the throw.
This gives a heavier but more positive gearchange by means of the simplest method possible.

1 Like

imho most issues arise when people try fix things that aint broken or don’t fully understand (or both).

its plausible to say that a gear lever physically positioned close to the steering wheel will allow faster shifting (but obviously the lever travel is more compared to oem lever on an H pattern so I don’t really understand what you gain because your hand needs to move a lot further and you need to find the stick while you are focusing on the next corner). if you have a sequential transmission yes a longer lever next to the steering wheel it makes perfect sense (paddle shifting even more sense)

IMHO the mx5 lever is small in comparison to other shifters so to me this product is stupid (or waste of your money) I’m sure someone will come and tell me I’m wrong… so I will wait.

2 Likes

Thx guys :+1: :wink:, this confirms many of the user expieriences i’ve found in my research, seems to be a 50/50 balance between the pro’s and contra’s (altough on this forum it seems to be a 90/10). Think i will skip that idea and as 999to5 mentioned ; a Voodoo knob is already a “mini” short shifter without the negatives. And that’s exactly why i have that knob already, i will stick to that. I have a similar knob (Jass performance) on the NA and just as the Voodo it has the lowest thread possible .

on the NA

1 Like

Expensive short shifters are not just a machined down shift lever, but the fulcrum is changed (raised).

Cheapo v OEM (NB).

But other “short shifters” will do this:

Another line up

I changed to a Corksport short shifter on my ND and for me it improved the gear change. It also has a degree of adjustability in how the gear stick goes through the gate - more rifle bolt or less.

id like to have a short shift in my NC.
as to why I haven’t, well someone already said “Don’t fix what ain’t broke”
which is a saying that I try to live by except my saying is a little longer!
it goes
“don’t fix what ain’t broke, because it probably soon will be”

This is very interesting.
On the ND with the standard gear lever you can easily change gear so fast that you can beat the synchromesh very easily. Even to the extent that you know you are ‘doing damage’ to the gear box.
May be I am missing the point of these ‘quickshifters’ but I could change gear quicker without that feeling that you are doing excessive damage on my 1962 A40!
The gear change on the ND is NOT one to be over rushed, it is very smooth and satisfying and a delight to use but it does not appreciate being ‘smacked through’ like say a Caterham 6 speed does.
:heart:

Quick shifters just shorten the throw, not how quickly you can make the change!

Exactly, by shortening the throw you make it easier and more likely that you will change gear quicker. You can already change gear on the ND quicker than the system can deal with so my puzzlement remains.
:heart:

Interesting that the 5 speed oem appears to provide a shorter throw than the 6 speed

Marketing,

2+2=5

I am sure people probably have, but I have never known anyone keep a short shifter very long.

If you want something Pro it will cost you. I purchased the Gracing NC short shifter and in all honesty the NC standard shifter is very good this is excellent. Although twisting the reverse gear lockout can be a wee bit difficult when new. Otherwise is is 1st class engineering. It reduces the lever throw unbelievably. Just my opinion of course!

https://www.gracingshifters.com/nc-miata-6-speed-shifter

1 Like

Aren’t baulk rings there to stop you “beating the synchromesh”? Very quick changes aren’t good for any of the mechanicals, though.