Show me your Royal steering wheels?

The only thing that I really want to change on my old NC1 is the steering wheel. I know Royal are very good and based on what I’ve seen here it’s going to be where I go.

I just need a bit of inspiration on materials etc please.

Also I need a few tips on removal of the wheel and installation.

Distance means I will have to deposit on the old wheel till I can get it sent to them.

Many thanks :+1::+1::+1:

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2008 Mk 3
  2. I’m based near: __Worcestershire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Royal Steering wheels

Coincidentally I got mine back from Royal today & very pleased with it I am too. He seems to be able to make pretty much what you want really. I asked for flat bottom modification, perforated black leather with thumb grips on sides, smooth blue leather top & bottom with blue stitching & 2mm thicker overall. It took 3 weeks all in which was a week longer than normal as he had to order the blue in.

I just have to figure out how to de-shine the old center hub now though as it looks a bit out of place. Any tips on this welcome.

Sorry I can’t offer any help with MK3 as mine is a 2.5.

2 Likes

Here’s mine …:white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark:

2 Likes

They’re all the same once stripped down Charlie? Royal fitted the one to the red car, 2nd time around I fitted doing the same as you, deposit and sent old one back.

This is a good enough guide so you know what you’re up against.

https://www.redlinegoods.com/MiataNCwheelinstall.php

Barrie

1 Like

Slightly thicker, printed leather top and bottom, perforated leather sides, black stitching.

1 Like

I’ve got red stitching with perforated side pieces and thumb grips, smooth top and bottom of the wheel.

1 Like

Barrie the top one is epic. But then so is the rest of the car….
Not entirely sure about the carbon and I love carbon….

Mick AP That’s very nice also……

The pictures really help including the one at the top on the earlier car. So thanks guys appreciated :+1::+1::+1:

I will be choosing the materials and style and getting in touch with Royal next week :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Seems pointless me posting mine now. It looks just like that but with a red bar in the middle

Slightly thicker, printed leather top and bottom, perforated leather sides, black stitching.

Can I ask if anyone knows, I would quite like a flat bottomed steering wheel, will they do a flat for round exchange?

1 Like

You send in your standard wheel and they turn it into a flat bottom one.
Barrie (Bettabuilda) will give you the info, he’s had his done this way.:+1:

1 Like

Yes, they will do whatever you need. Very clever actually, the overall diameter remains the same? It gets shaved at the lower end and built up to create the appearance :+1: That’s two I’ve had done with flat bottoms and each time, their wheels used and then swapped. Cannot fault them although Jack can be a bit tardy with responses but worth the wait definitely :nerd_face:

Barrie

2 Likes

Here’s ours. No flat bottom, just 2mm thicker with thumb grips. Red leather was supplied by interior trimmers so it matched.

2 Likes

Wheel looks great and I do like the instrument binnacle cover :+1:

Barrie

Barrie I forgot to say thank you for the how to do link.
It doesn’t look to difficult but how is it in reality ?

I see they use a puller instead of giving the wheel a sharp thump from underneath… Leaving the nut on of course to avoid knocking teeth out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I kinda like the red on the last post above but a bit bling for me… Nice though.

I’m going to go perforated on the two sides with normal leather top and bottom. Thumb grips and a bit of thickening plus flat bottom.

I know a lot go modding to extreme and nothing wrong with that. Me I like to keep everything as original as I can. I had to have the rear OS wing painted cos some ■■■ wipe thumped a car door into it. Up till that point the body and paint was 100% original just as it left the factory 13 years and 56K miles ago.

2 Likes

Hi Charlie, not that difficult, just be methodical with it. I rocked the wheel a bit side to side (with the nut on) and it came loose :+1:

Swapped the bits over and reassembled, the only ‘thing’, the exchange wheel could be slightly off depending on how it was set up on previous car? One spline to the left or right would sort it :+1: good choice on wheel, it’s what I have currently :nerd_face:

Barrie

2 Likes

So it’s not necessarily my fault that the new wheel ended up one spline out despite setting everything up dead straight before removing the old wheel.
Not sure I understand why though…

1 Like

The bit I got stuck on was removing the yellow plug from the airbag canister.
I rang Jack’s emergency number and he replied straight away.
Once you’ve removed the black locking clip, the whole of the yellow plug can be levered upwards with a small flat screwdriver
Also he said no need to disconnect the battery.

1 Like

My thoughts at the time were that when the wheel was installed in the car it came off, the wheel would have been centred and then adjustments made to get alignment to spec. This may differ car to car so when fitted to yours (and mine) there could be differences in the spline orientation car to car? If that makes any sense :grimacing:

Barrie

1 Like

Perhaps there is a wee spline difference in production batches ? No problem if fitting the same wheel back but if fitting a different wheel it may differ slightly ?

1 Like

I suspect Mazda aren’t microscopically precise when they machine the splined boss in. I have had a few different wheels on mine now, some sit dead central, others slightly off either way. Not by much but enough that just one spline shifts it too far out the other way.