Show me your wheels!

Hi,

I’m thinking of getting another set of wheels for my MK1. I’m currently running 15" OZ Superleggera’s wrapped in Toyo proxes TR1s.

I’d love to see what other people are running on their cars. Please post pictures of your wheels in this thread!

5 Likes

Don’t change those. They are about the lightest wheel you get without going very expensive

1 Like

I was planning on keeping these wheels and having another set for for for showing off :wink:

In 20+ years, I’ve only ever brought 3 sets of wheels, 1 of which was used.

14" magnesium alloy Watanabes (used, rattle canned)

15" Mk2 “new” from Mazda

15" Maxilite

3 Likes

Enkei RPF1 15x7 et34

5 Likes

Did you notice much difference changing between 14’s and 15’s?

2 Likes

2 Likes

My “proper?” OEM 14" Panasports.
Pretty much “Unobtainium” now I was told unless you have a King’s ransom handy.
I got them very cheap years back.
And I ain’t paying £90.00 for a set of caps though.

4 Likes

15" Enkei fitted to some mk2s. Note that these are different to the mk2 wheels poster by @ast, which are also made by Enkei.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Yes, the Watanabes were an odd offset, and used to smack the wingliner on full lock.

I certainly noticed a difference when I got rid of these (came with the car)

2 Likes

RPF1s

[Photo John Hallett]

3 Likes

Nah, they’re not gonna catch on full lock are they…

1 Like

It’s got air ride

2 Likes

Ultralagerras are lighter and are the same weight as rpf1s at 4.9k a corner I think

I have both - the ultras are great track wheels but the rpf1s look far better on the car as they don’t need any spacers to look good

Imo anyway!

They both looks fantastic I just wish my ultras were 8j with a better offset

Both 15"

The supers look good though I’d hang onto em for track wheels!

3 Likes

14" Daisys: 5.6kg
14" Factory BBS: 4.1kg
14" Hollow Spoke Enkei (93-97): 4.90kg
14" Semi-Hollow Spoke Enkei (93-97): 5.10kg
14" Solid Spoke Enkei (93-97): 5.23kg
14" Polished Enkei (93-97 V-Spec II): 4.77kg
15" Factory BBS: 5.45kg
15" Enkei 96-97 (VR Limited, R2 Limited, B2 Limited, late UK 1.8iS): 7.25kg
14" Mk2 5-Spoke (1.6 only): 5.77kg
15" Mk2 5-spoke: 5.95kg
16" Mk2.5-spoke: 7.05kg
14" Steel wheel: 8.18kg

In 1992, Mazda, for their clubman-focused M2-1001 semi-track car, selected a 15" Panasport at about 6.8kg

In 1994, in the arguably more hardcore follow-up M2-1028 (stripping out even the softtop), Mazda stuck with 14" factory

The canceled M2-1003 was to use 14" BBS

For the Mk2, there were two types of 15" “Enkei” (ignoring that nearly all factory wheels were made by Enkei). There was an export version, which was fairly hefty (on the Phoenix etc. Allegedly originally intended for the Angels edition and a 323F special edition. Then the NRA Clubman got a forged version (RP01), with an identical style, but lighter (6.5kg).

But when considering wheel weights, as you go up and down wheel diameter, consider the changes in tyre weight, for which there is much less information available for. A 195/50 15 tyre might be 2kg heavier than a 185/60 14 tyre. But a 205/40 16 tyre might be 1kg lighter than the 15" tyre.

I think only the Dunlop GT Qualifier has readily available weights from 13" to 16".

You might find that the gram strategy in finding that very light wheel is wiped out because of the tyre selected. Looking at a table of 14" tyres (185/60), the variance in weight is enormous, compared to wheels (ranging from 14.5kg to 21kg)

5 Likes

So to summarise. Buy the wheels and tyres you like the look of and …

EAT LESS PIES!

Its not about overall car weight; the weight of the wheels is insignificant compared to the rest of the car. Its unsprung weight.

Agreed. This is the key factor for road-holding.

The less the unsprung weight, ie wheel, tyre, hub, brakes, bits of suspension near the hub including hub end of shocker, the easier it is to make the unit as a whole follow undulations in the road surface.

So eg, back in the 1960s the Elan with skinny small wheels gripped the surface much better than a fat old Galaxy with its mega-boots.

It’s also why an NA is considered to be more nimble than an NC.

My NC 17" spare Niseko wheel with an unused Dunlop Maxx weighs 15-16kg, by no means the heaviest, but not the lightest either. It’s still heavier than most normal NA wheel + tyre combinations.

2 Likes

Team Dynamics with the polished rim, always loved these…

3 Likes