Silverstone Classic 24th-26th July

After the fine showing of 200 cars last year, the MX-5 Owners Club has again been invited to attend The Silverstone Classic’s 2009 event, which runs from 24th to the 26th July, thus firmly establishing our marquee as a “modern classic”.

<o:p> </o:p>

Last year’s event was attended by a record 57,000 people, making it Silverstone’s second largest event after the Grand Prix.  Many enthusiasts consider it better than a GP, since visitors are free to walk around the pits, inspect the cars and chat with their owners.  We were even allowed to wander around the pit lane stand on the pit wall to watch the races – just like in the good old days of Grand Prix!

The first key ingredient of this event is a feast of world class nostalgic motor racing,  across all decades from the 1920s to the 1990s, featuring over 800 classic racing cars, including such great names as Ferrari, Maserati, ERA and Auto Union; Bentley, Jaguar, Aston Martin and Porsche; Cooper, Tyrell, March, and Lotus, all competing in 21 races over the 3 days, including a Le Mans style dusk race.  The Silverstone Classic is not totally historic, as it includes more contemporary races, such as Group C, Saloons, Super Touring Cars and late Formula One cars being raced and seen in their appropriate surroundings.

The second key ingredient is the great assembly of classic cars from the extensive list of Owners’ Clubs across the UK and overseas; over 4000 cars were on display across the event period in 2008. 

Things to look forward to at this years event.<o:p></o:p>

?         Friday & Saturday Evening Rock Concert.<o:p></o:p>

?         Race Commentary by Murray Walker<o:p></o:p>

?         Live TV broadcast on Motors TV.<o:p></o:p>

?         Jaguar Owners Club as featured marquee.<o:p></o:p>

?         Parade Lap Of the Circuit

?         Over 60 car clubs on display<o:p></o:p>

?         15/20 Relay Car handover.

To ensure that you can drive your car right inside the circuit and park on the MX-5 Owners Club stand, it is advisable to book early.  Bookings can be made direct to the organisers at Silverstone.

For those of you wishing to camp over the weekend there is a dedicated MX5OC site at the Whittlebury Park campsite. Located behind the racing circuit with there own access, it is only a 10 minute walk to the action. Just mention you are a MX-5 Owners Club member when making you booking. Contact the camping department on 01327 850000.

For events tickets contact the Silverstone Classic booking office on 08712 310849. Remember to use booking code SC09MX5 when placing your order.

Advanced Special Club Member Prices - Prices Are Per Car (Cost includes two adult tickets and one car pass)

Available to 30th June         Purchased At The Gate

Friday Pass                                          £25.00                                   £30

Saturday Pass                                     £35.00                                   £40

Sunday Pass                                       £35.00                                   £40

3 Day Pass                                          £79.00                                   £89

For concert tickets, prices are avalable from the Silverstone Classic Booking Office.

Free and exclusive Club Display Area for MX-5 Owners

All public car parks, grandstand seating and central paddock transfers are FREE

Children under 16 admitted for free.

All tickets are required to be ordered by the closing date of 30th June.

Please check the MX5OC forum for updates. For more information email peter.jakeways@mx5oc.co.uk

Whittlebury Park will be hosting the MX5OC campsite.

http://www.whittlebury.com/

They also can be contact on 01327 850000.

Just state that you are with the MX-5 Owners club when making your booking.

For more information you can email peter.jakeways@mx5oc.co.uk

Peter thats excellent - thanks for getting all this organised again.

I know you were talking to the organisers on our behalf so I just have a couple of questions if you dont mind.

Do we have a bigger stand this year ? As you know last years was a bit tight and even the organisers recognised that.

Any news on the planned parade lap or joining the classic lap as was mentioned in the past?

looking forward to this one again after last years great event.

Went to this last year great day, didn’t have my 5 on the road (again) so hopefully this year will be able to be on the stand. Although as Harco said lets hope they give us a bigger pitch as the cars were jammed in very close together last year.

And thanks for organising it.

Andy

Just a little something, are those prices correct? as they say 2008 prices held, but last years prices were …

Available to 21 July

Friday £20
Saturday £25
Sunday £25
Weekend £45

Purchased At The Gate

Friday £30
Saturday £35
Sunday £35

Seems a bit odd they are advertising as last years prices… [*-)]

i’d probably be up for doing one of the days as i’ve never been to this before. Does all sound very exciting !!

Is it ok to just be on the stand for one day ?

When I book my ticket do the organisers book me on the stand or do I have to let you know so you can book me on ?

Cheers.

When you book quote the MX5OC reference.  You will be asked for your car reg, with the tickets you will also get a car pass that shows the area the club have been allocated.  You display this on your windscreen.  Provided you get there before the internal roads are closed you will be directed to the correct area by the marshalls.  And yes if you want to one day is fine.

Went last year for the first time, as new 5 owners and had a great weekend.

Dave

This years SC is under new management, its now being run by Goose Communications.

Because of this change any arrangements I made with Motion Works will now not be honoured.

I have tried to setup a meeting with Neil Carr-Jones the man who is now in charge of the Classic, but my requests have fallen on deaf ears.

As to the posision and size of the pitch, I don’t know.

There will be no parade lap for the MX5OC, but you can take part in the world record attempt. More details on that will be coming soon.

Also, keep an eye on the SC website. http://www.silverstoneclassic.com/

Friday 24th July<o:p></o:p>

0900 - 0920 Qualifying; Historic Formula Juniors<o:p></o:p>

0930 - 1005 Qualifying; Under 2 litre Touring Cars (U2TC)<o:p></o:p>

1015 - 1035 Qualifying; The David Leslie Memorial Trophy Race for 90’s Super Touring Cars<o:p></o:p>

1045 - 1110 Qualifying; BRDC 500 Pre War Sports Cars<o:p></o:p>

1120 - 1150 Qualifying; Pre 1963 GT Cars<o:p></o:p>

1200 - 1220 Qualifying; HGPCA Pre 66 Grand Prix Cars<o:p></o:p>

1230 - 1300 Qualifying; The RAC Woodcote Trophy for Pre 1956 Sports Cars<o:p></o:p>

1300 - 1400 Lunch Break<o:p></o:p>

1400 - 1425 Qualifying; Grand Prix Masters (1966 – 1978 GP Cars)<o:p></o:p>

1435 - 1505 Qualifying; BRDC Historic Sports Cars<o:p></o:p>

1515 - 1535 Qualifying; The ‘Decade of Thunder’ Edwardian Cars<o:p></o:p>

1545 - 1615 Qualifying; Masters ‘Gentleman Drivers’ GT & Sports Endurance Cars (Pre 66)<o:p></o:p>

1625 - 1650 Qualifying; Group C<o:p></o:p>

1700 - 1730 Qualifying; World Sports Car Masters 1964-1974<o:p></o:p>

1740 - 1800 Qualifying; The Laurence Bloom Memorial Trophy in Celebration of 50 years of the Mini<o:p></o:p>

2000 - 2230 Concert <o:p></o:p>

Saturday 25th July<o:p></o:p>

0900 - 1000 Race; BRDC 500 Pre War Sports Cars<o:p></o:p>

1015 - 1115 Race; Under 2 litre Touring Cars (U2TC)<o:p></o:p>

1130 - 1150 Race; Historic Formula Juniors<o:p></o:p>

1205 - 1225 Race; The David Leslie Memorial Trophy Race for 90’s Super Touring Cars<o:p></o:p>

1240 - 1300 Race; HGPCA Pre 66 Grand Prix Cars<o:p></o:p>

1300 - 1400 Lunch Break, Aerial Displays, Harley Davidson Parade on track, 50 Years of the Mini on track<o:p></o:p>

1400 - 1425 Race; Grand Prix Masters (1966 – 1978 GP Cars)<o:p></o:p>

1440 - 1540 Race; The RAC Woodcote Trophy for Pre 1956 Sports Cars<o:p></o:p>

1555 - 1625 Race; Masters ‘Gentleman Drivers’ GT & Sports Endurance Cars (Pre 66)<o:p></o:p>

1640 - 1740 Race; Group C<o:p></o:p>

1755 - 1815 Sprint; The Murray Walker Celebrity Sprint Challenge Evening Break; Bonham’s Auction. Pre-63 GT parade<o:p></o:p>

1945 - 2115 Race; World Sports Car Masters 1964-1974<o:p></o:p>

2000 - 2230 Concert <o:p></o:p>

Sunday 26th July<o:p></o:p>

0900 - 0925 Race; Historic Formula Juniors<o:p></o:p>

0940 - 1040 Race; BRDC Historic Sports Cars<o:p></o:p>

1040 - 1115 Church Break, Retro Run Display<o:p></o:p>

1115 - 1130 Race; The Laurence Bloom Memorial Trophy in Celebration of 50 years of the Mini (Race 1)<o:p></o:p>

1145 - 1205 Race; HGPCA Pre 66 Grand Prix Cars<o:p></o:p>

1220 - 1320 Race; Pre 1963 GT Cars<o:p></o:p>

1335 - 1355 Race; The ‘Decade of Thunder’ Edwardian Cars<o:p></o:p>

1355 - 1455 Lunch Break, Aerial Displays. Car Clubs parade<o:p></o:p>

1455 - 1520 Race; Grand Prix Masters (1966 – 1978 GP Cars)<o:p></o:p>

1535 - 1605 Race; Group C<o:p></o:p>

1620 - 1705 Race; Masters ‘Gentleman Drivers’ GT & Sports Endurance Cars (Pre 66)<o:p></o:p>

1720 - 1740 Race; The David Leslie Memorial Trophy Race for 90’s Super Touring Cars<o:p></o:p>

1755 - 1810 Race; The Laurence Bloom Memorial Trophy in Celebration of 50 years of the Mini (Race2)

Glad someone else spotted that ‘2008 prices’ problem too.

And the correct prices are?

If I follow the Silverstone Classiclink or do an independent search it just comes up with ‘Site under construction’.

Prices appear to be as above, just the “held at 2008” was wrong and has been removed. Still not a bad price for two and kids free I reckon. (based on proposals for our own currently one day event!.. sorry couldnt resist!)

Must get my finger out and book this - Karen and I will probably do the Friday and Saturday again at least…[:D]

I’ve tried booking.

They ‘are a week away from being ready to take bookings yet’. Their web site is not up and running and the wrong phone number has been given out.

The people were nice and friendly but slightly non-plussed that they were being contacted already - and via the incorrect number. Sounded like I wasn’t the first to call either.

I’l try again next week :slight_smile:

And that price would be what?

That would be £20 for the Friday or £30 for the Saturday/Sunday.

No, I understood that PJ, I was just referring to another comment about the value, since to my knowledge no entrance price has been set for the OC event yet.

Can I please confirm… 3 day pass, £70 gives admission for 1 car and 2 adults for 3 days. That’s £35 per person.

It also says “Two admissions for the price of one”. Does that mean you get 2 cars & 4 adults in for the £70 or is the two admissions for the price of one refering to the 2 adults for £70 (normally £70 for one adult)?

Also, the top bit says prices are per person and the bottom bit says tickets are per car, price includes two adult tickets…

HI Robbie, your first sentence is correct.

The bit at the bottom is a mistake, I’ll have it corrected thanks

Hi folks, joining in here for the first time! I’m planning on attending the Silverstone Classic with my 14-year-old son this year (been most years since the original Coys Historic Festival days, usually an excellent weekend…)! We’ll be travelling down from central st1:country-regionst1:placeScotland</st1:place></st1:country-region>, probably being there for both the Saturday and the Sunday, and would love to be included on the club stand for the first time, both days if possible. My car is a bog-standarad G-plate Eunos which would probably provide a nice contrast to all the shiny modifieds that will no doubt be there!!<o:p></o:p>

Just for everyone’s info, I have just received an email from the organisers (Goose) saying that the website (www.silverstoneclassic.com) is scheduled to go live tomorrow (Friday 13th March – hope that’s not significant!) with the booking office being up-and-running by the following Wednesday (18 March) if not before. I assume there will be booking information on the website.<o:p></o:p>