Smart Top?

Read this thread last week. Had a bit of spare time and cash so have added this to the list of things I have done to my car since purchase.

A bit expensive for what it does, however a very functional & worthwhile addition.
Using the software to check firmware and adjust settings took longer than fitting the unit in to the car.
I found the original electrical plug was a bit tight getting it out of the ECU, but it came out eventually.

Set mine for button operation up to 20 mph.

My missus might even drive the car now, as she found the whole roof up/down procedure a bit of a faff, so has hardly ever driven the car.

Considering adjusting settings to operate fully auto once the latch is unlocked.
Do the buttons still operate if you change your mind halfway through going up & down with this setting ?

I don’t think so but never tried it. You’ll have to give it a go.:+1:

1 Like

Is 21mph too fast for you :joy:

3 Likes

Does the ST auto open / close the windows ALL the way?

If it doesn’t presumably the interior of your car is still at risk…

1 Like

I have mine set to auto open when the latch is unlocked and the buttons do still work. A dab of either will interrupt/pause the opening and a further selection will either close or open depending on the choice. Also, closing from fully open remains unchanged i.e. the close button works normally.

I only fitted this unit this morning, 1st little job of the year.

I went back into the garage and adjusted the settings to the auto open when the latch is unlocked setting.

Also had a play with the buttons mid travel and as others have noted the buttons do operate mid travel, ish.

I figured there is only one reason why I would want to unlock the roof, so might as well go the whole hog and fully retract it, especially whilst hurtling along at 19mph.

mind you this extra functionality didn’t come cheap at £270. Good old Santa !

1 Like

I can get onboard the idea to be able to retract/extend the roof at a slow vehicle speed but I’m not sure I’d want the thing to start retracting on its own when the latch is disengaged…

1 Like

But enabling it this way allows you to keep both hands on the steering wheel after the initial catch release.
I’ve only ever done it once, when pulling up slowly at a T junction, had time to check in my mirror it was fully Retracted.
The advice is, always be on level ground so that the mechanism operates smoothly.

Yep, I have one of these. You’re right, it’s expensive but as others have said you can sell it on if you sell the car. Mine’s set to open at pretty much the minimum speed. The big plus for me is the one touch operation. Being able to open close the top when moving (how ever slowly) is such a peace of mind thing - at traffic lights for example. No need for being stationary for 12 secs while holding a button. One press, and it’s going - if the lights change you can move away without the roof stuck half open.

1 Like

But why else would you disengage the latch other than because you want to drop the roof?

Anyway, if there’s any reason that you don’t want the roof to drop, then you just need to press the “roof up” button immediately after unlatching.

I am ok to simply press the button and initiate retraction/extension.

To get the thing start retracting on its own when the latch is disengaged is a step too far for me.

2 Likes

I thought that at first.

Then I realised that every time I unlatched the top, the next thing that I did was press the “down” button. Seemed a bit silly, especially as the reason for buying the SmartTop was to automate the process.

Yes, that’s how mines set up. Unlatch, then a single press to open. There are a number of settings that can be changed to suit your preferences.

Hopefully this link will take you to the setup page:

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smarttop/ext/support/manuals/mazda/STHFMA1/operation_v1.2/en.php

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at the Smart Top for a couple of weeks and wondering if the function can be stopped half way, for roof/drain hole maintenance etc?

Thank you all in advance👍

1 Like

Before I fitted a smart top module I stopped my roof part open/closed and since fitting the module I still stop the roof part open/closed. Not experienced any problem.

1 Like

Yep, just turn the ignition off at the desired opening that you want. :+1:

1 Like

Thank you all for you replies.:+1:

I’ll hit the purchase button and put it in the book as ‘Groceries’!!

1 Like

I flick my Soft top roof back and let the wind take it down and it even clicks into place … I once done this at 70 MPH on the M11 in the fast lane…. I never did find out what field it ended up in … Only joking,

But it does go down nicely at 25 / 30… Using wind power ! .Bit Difficult putting it up same way though !

1 Like

Think mine was for logs for the fire.:wink:

1 Like

Like your style!
:wood::smile::+1:

2 Likes