Softtop burn/damage

Police have filed it as arson but nothing they can do as no CCTV.

Someone from another forum mentioned it could be from light refraction?

Been offered a 2 year old roof from a right off for £500 so might have to look into that.Fitting is £450 though !!!

1 Like

It’ll have to be an insurance job surely.

Looks like something hot, piece of iron rod maybe has been prodded into the hood. Sunburn could be another but it would need some unusual to reflect onto that.

didnt particularly want to go through insurance if I can get it done for under a grand.

It was on a particularly hot and sunny day and parked between other cars. No other damage at all,so would have thought if they wanted to pin poiint my car cos it was the best looking !!! they would have keyed it as well.

Too young a car surely to muck around with so I’d have thought Police to provide a crime number, then insurance. Just hope you have Protected NCD.
Look closely,I’m sure it’s deliberate. I can see a sort of “heat halo” going from the top left of the hole. Looks to me like a gas lighter or similar has been held to it.

1 Like

Oh well,
Good luck with it.

A hood is about £600 fully fitted, so shop around, I think the quote you have is excessive.

MX-5 restorer is about £600

https://themx5restorer.co.uk/services/roofs/

http://www.thesofttopshop.com/mazda-mx-5-2007-2015

£830 Mobile fitting

The OP has an ND so the above isn’t any use but it’s a guide to fitting costs.:+1:

Sorry I thought it was an NC.

Repair? See the videos links at

I had a top quality replacement vinyl hood about five years ago on a 2001 MK2. The Soft Top Shop in Stockport.did an excellent job for £450.

New for 7 ?

You haven’t been anywhere near La Palma have you??

Joking aside, sorry to see this, I agree with the others saying go down the insurance route, depending on your excess.

Presume you have checked the interior, in case it was an object that came through the roof?

You could try a “Stormsure Soft Top Repair kit” as a temporary/permanent repair

Try their website www.stormsure.com

Another recommendation for the Soft Top Shop. Did a great job with a new Mohair top on my 2003 Mk2

Gutted for you, :pensive: I hope you get it sorted out soon.

Just to let you know I purchased this roof canvas and now had it fitted. Thank you

1 Like

:+1: , and never park there again :grinning:

Unfortunately it is my work’s parking area so no choise !!! I keep running out of the office to check on him every couple of hours !!!

Thank you again, Saved me a fair few hundred quid on that roof. The guy that fitted it said it was 'perfect’and a bargain

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: