Solent Area - 15th May: Drive to Shaftesbury

As per the Solent programme a drive to Shaftesbury, home of Gold Hill and the famous Hovis bread advert (for those of us who are old enough to remember it) is planned for Sunday 15th May.

The drive will start from the west end of the car park in Rownhams services on the westbound M27. Meet at 0945 for a start time of 1030.

The drive will take in the northern part of the New Forest, lovely countryside, villages and towns, not to mention zig-zag hill, before finishing at The Kings Arms pub in Bleke Street, Shaftesbury.

Gold Hill is just a short walk from the Bell Street car park, which is Pay and Display (The Kings Arms does not have a dedicated car park, unfortunately). The pub does do some tasty food, but it does not do a carvery Sunday lunch.

PLEASE NOTE: UPDATE ON THE VENUE FOR LUNCH
Due to Shaftesbury and Gold Hill being so popular during the summer, and particularly when it’s good weather, the Bell Street car park adjacent to The Kings Arms pub gets extremely crowded, consequently the ability to park our 5’s will be impossible on a Sunday (I’ve tried it!).

Therefore the drive will now finish for lunch at The Coppleridge Inn at Motcombe, which is approx. 3 miles outside of Shaftesbury. It has a huge car park and an excellent menu which Mal will promulgate in a later post. Tina, the landlady, requires each persons food order and a £10 per person deposit, which can be paid into Mal’s PayPal account, which is malrowland21@gmail.com., by Wednesday evening of the 11th May.

Anybody wishing to go back to Shaftesbury and see Gold Hill after lunch, and later in the afternoon, will probably get a better chance to park in Bell Street carpark.

Apologies for any inconvenience to your original plans!:slightly_frowning_face:

Ron & Angela

4 Likes

Hi sorry I can’t make this one sadly?

Hi Ron, we’d like to come along to this trip
Regards
Paul and Karen

Hi Ron, thanks for arranging this. Please add me to the list and c u at Rownhams. If dry weather I’ll bring the Le Mans, wet and twill be the Mk4. Whicheve, both are perfect for zigzag hill!!!

Please give Ron & Angela support on this event, as Patricia and I will not be able to attend.

Sue and I planning to be there.

I’m new to the club and collecting my first 5 tomorrow! I’ll come along and am looking forward to my first event. Thanks for taking time to arrange :pray:

Count me in

Regards Nigel

Hi Ron,Angela
Can you add us to the list
Regards
Howard and Julie

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies, and all will be added to the list.

And thank you John and Pat for your support :clap:

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the day.:+1::sunglasses:

Ron & Angela

1 Like

Hi Ron & Angela,

Thanks for arranging this event and will you please include us?

Looking forward to seeing you both.

Best wishes,

Sally & Colin

Hi Ron & Angela
Terry & I would love to join you on this one
Looking forward to it
Di xx

Ron & Angie

Pat & Stuart will be joining you for this trip

Stuart

Ron & Angie,

We will be coming, please add us to the list.

Mike & Karen

Two of us please👍

hi Ron and Angela
We will both be along for this one.
Zig zag hill was our first club run after getting the mx. Back in 2011.
Richard and Clare.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies, it’s going well so far.

That’s really interesting Richard and Clare that you have done the route before in 2011 as your first Solent drive. That was also my first Solent drive with my son when he had his first MX5! What a coincidence :+1:.

Ron & Angela

2 Likes

Hi All. I picked up my first 5 yesterday. Already understand why they’re so appreciated. I’ll join you for this, my first club event

1 Like

Please add me to the list!

Pete & Sarah

Sounds like a great event - Esther and I would love to come along