SOLENT AREA - Northumberland Tour 2023

This year’s “Solent Area Tour” is taking place and starting on 16th September 2023 and will be to the beautifully scenic area of Northumberland. To this end a few of us got together and discussed what we wanted to get out of the tour and also the best time of year to go.

We had the benefit of having Colin Reay with us, who originates from the area and visits often, as you will have seen from his FaceBook Posts and photos. Colin provided excellent input on routes and places to visit, which was greatly appreciated :+1:

This purpose of this post, is to initially gauge interest and see how many members would like to join us on the 16th September, for what promises to be a fantastic trip via Gaydon, setting off for an overnight stop (optional) near Gaydon, in readiness for the MX5 National, before driving up to Northumberland, so a good stop off point on route :wink:

We are currently looking at accommodation in Northumberland and hope to procure Self-Catering/Barn Conversion type accommodation, with en-suite facitilies, in or around the Alnwick Area, or similar, as this will keep costs down, as opposed to hotels but members can choose to book Guest House or Hotel Accommodation, as desired.

Also, members can dip in and out of the tour to fit family and/or work commitments and tailor the trip to suit themselves. However, we have an outline plan that is currently being finalised. The routes and attractions we propose and have put together will be provided as options, so that members can did in and out of the tour and choose what to do and in whatever order they desire, to suit.

However, as a rough guide, we will be visiting places such as; Craster, Seahouses, Bamburgh & Bamburgh Castle, Berwick, Duns (near Berwick and visit the Jim Clarke Museum), Holy Island (weather permitting), Kielder Water & Forest, Saughtree, Farne Islands, Beamish, Hadrians Wall and the superb countryside. This list is not exhaustive and all arrangements are subject to weather conditions.

Serena and I are heading South, on or around the 25th/26th Sept, as we have a Family holiday in Derbyshire, starting on the 29th Sept but others are free to stay on and explore as they wish.

If members could respond to this post saying whether they are interested in partaking in this tour by 20th February, it would be greatly appreciated - Non-Attendance responses are not required!

We will make the drive options available to those who sign up for this event in due course but our initial thoughts are that we want the options to be as flexible as possible, for our members :blush:

Attendees List:

1. Mal Rowland - Accomodation Booked
  2. Serena Rowland - Accomodation Booked
  3. Colin Reay - Accomodation Booked
  4. Ron Clarke - Accomodation Booked
  5. Angela Clarke - Accomodation Booked
  6. Val Lazell - Accomodation Booked
  7. Bob Lazell - Accomodation Booked
  8. Gerry Hall ?
  9. Geoff Lowe?
  10. Lynn Lowe?
  11. Max Grogan
  12. Esther Freeborn
  13. Helen Grogan?
  14. Nick Grogan?
  15. Mike Yardley - Accomodation Booked
  16. Karen Yardley - Accomodation Booked
  17. Kevin Taylor - Accomodation Booked
  18. Sandra Taylor - Accomodation Booked
  19. Stuart Couper - Accomodation Booked
  20. Pat Couper - Accomodation Booked
  21. Richard Tugwell
  22. Clare Barker
  23. Pat Chance - Accomodation Booked
  24. Ash Chance - Accomodation Booked
  25. Sheila Butler - Accomodation Booked
  26. Graham Butler - Accomodation Booked
  27. Sally Carter - Accomodation Booked
  28. Steve Carter - Accomodation Booked
  29. Elaine Rust?
  30. Rob Rust?
  31. Julie Smith?
  32. Mike Smith ?
  33. Christine Baird ?
  34. Richard Baird ?
  35. Lynn Mead - Accommodation Booked
  36. Roger Mead - Accomodation Booked

Best Regards

The Solent Northumberland Tour Team: Serena, Mal, Angie, Ron, Val, Bob & Colin - not forgetting Blue :dog:

2 Likes

Very interested in this Mal

1 Like

I’ll be there, but will most probably miss Gaydon and go straight to Northumberland.

Looks interesting & interested in going👍

1 Like

Esther and I are very interested, but I’m not sure if we can do the dates

Otherwise mum and dad might be keen, they love that area of the country

Max

2 Likes

Hi Max, it would he great to have you and Esther along and also mum & Dad. Let me know as soon as you can😉

1 Like

Hi Mal,
We are interested.
Mike and Karen

1 Like

Hi Karen & Mike,

It would be great to have you both along. I will add you to the list with a ?

Regards

Mal

1 Like

Hi Mal,
Kevin and I are interested in this but like Colin, we would most likely go straight to Northumberland from home.
Thank you
Sandra

Hi Everyone,

A list of attendees for the Northumberland Tour has now been added to Post#1.

NB: Names with “?” Beside them, are to be confirmed.

Regards

Mal

1 Like

Hi Mal
We are interested in this tour
Stuart & Pat Couper

Hi Stuart & Pat, great news. I will add you to the list. Regards Mal

Hi Mal.
Definitely interested in this one

Richard and Clare.

As of this evening, Sunday 29th January, we are now up to 22 people and 12 MX5’s👍

1 Like

We are interested
Ash& Pat

1 Like

Hi Pat & Ash,
I have added you both to the list with a “?” Until confirmed.
Regards
Mal

Hi Mal,
We are also interested in this.

Kind regards,
Graham & Sheila

We can sort out an Area display for you all at the Rally, and wave you off in the afternoon!

As long as you don’t mind taking a bit of the kit back up North

2 Likes

Count us in please

Sally and Steve

Hi Mal, just confirming Val and I are interested
Cheers
Bob