Space saver spare wheel

Hello everybody, im new on here and would appreciate any help that im given, i am after a spacesaver spare wheel for my 2006 nc, on 16" wheels. Does anybody have one for sale, or can anybody tell me if a space saver spare of another make of car will fit my mx5, many thanks.

Hi have a read of this.Space saver tyre help

1 Like

Try mx5 parts, this is the best option
https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/roadhero-space-saver-spare-wheel-mk3-35-p-4144.html

1 Like

I have one of the MX5 parts ones. It worked when I needed it. Be aware though that once you have the full size wheel off the car it won’t fit in the boot without a fight so most likely ends up in the passenger seat.

It also reduces your available boot space significantly and is damn heavy too

One of the reviews about the MX5 Parts one states it won’t fit in the boot without letting air out. :man_shrugging:

Right, ive been reading some old comments here since i posted the question, and i hadnt thought about what you would do with the punctured tyre if you were out with a passenger with you. Some suggestions were saying to have RAC cover with replacement or repairing the flat tyre as part of your cover.

This is my first mx5, and i dont know much about them, thats why i joined this owners club to try and leatn a bit about them, its mainly for weekend use with the occasional track day, have you owned one for a while ?

Hi, I have owned mine since March 2016.
Having given up our Goldwing (exactly the same problem of course).
To be honest we actually prefer our MX5 for many reasons. :slightly_smiling_face:
Like you, I thought of the puncture scenario :thinking:
I did look into the space saver and basically binned that idea for carrying the wheel and then the punctured one, as we need the boot space and some how my wife wouldn’t be to impressed driving for 1000’s of miles with a wheel on her lap!:joy:
We don’t do track days or anything like that.
We like extended European tours and have done Croatia and France and Spain. Likewise extended UK trips (if only).
So needed something “just in case”.
It all depends on the individual use and your own risk assessment etc etc.
Hence what we do on the linked thread.
All a matter for the individual of course :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

So you would advice me put goop into each of my tyres and carry the plug type repair kit as well ? i presume the goop automatically repairs a puncture, if you get a nail or the likes stuck in your wheel. I do long journeys/ holidays in the U.K. Scotland etc and have RAC cover ,its just good to be well prepared for peace of mind when not carrying a spare tyre. Is your mx5 standard, or have you upgraded any thing on it?

1 Like

Quite difficult to recommend or advise at times as someone will have a different opinion. But I can say that is what I do considering all the options and can’t see me changing that.
Bit of chrome bling some like it some hate it😂
Cobalt exhaust and Skuzzle Motor Sport fast road package fitted. Unfortunately now closed but Nick does work for another garage.
Standard suspension for me too as I don’t have any issues.
Sometimes we pop off for a bit of camping :camping::flushed::wink:
Just a great car now for us. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Love the pictures, nice looking car, is the motor sport package an engine power upgrade? Ive done quite a bit of camping myself , here and abroad, drove to San Tropez one year.

A couple of extras regarding the spare wheel kit. It is a very tight squeeze in the boot. I removed the front most plastic boot liner for a bit more room in my soft top. The wheel is not the same diameter as the standard wheels so could cause issues with your lsd if you have one. I had a puncture on the rear so to be on the safe side I swapped the front wheel to the back and fitted the space saver on the front. A bit of a faff at the side of the M11 in the dark and rain

1 Like

Thanks for that, ive heard about the problems if you have lsd.

I have a spacesaver from a Hyundai Coupe Mk 3 for my 2006 NC. Tyre size is 125 70R 16. It fits in the boot fully inflated.

1 Like

Hi Jacard.
Have you actually fitted it to your NC?
I ask because I also bought the same Hyundai space saver wheel about 7 years ago. I then lugged it all around the UK and France for 6 years before realising that the rim wouldn’t fit over the caliper.

That is a top tip. I have the LSD on my NB and probably wouldn’t have thought of that if I was thinking about the puncture and getting the spare on. Thanks!

1 Like

DavidQ.
When I bought the space saver I tried it on the front N/S wheel and it was fine. I did not try it on the other wheels. I have just tried it on the rear N/S and it does catch the caliper slightly. If I get a rear tyre puncture I will put a front wheel onto the rear and put the space saver on the front.

Well that is good news.
I only tried it on the rear and didn’t bother checking the front as I thought the calipers were slightly bigger.
I’ll see if it fits if it ever stops raining.
Many thanks.