Sparkly Berkeley Bunch

Count me in too.  Can’t remember my number, I’ll have a look in the morning and post it. Glad to hear there are other Berkeleys out there.  I haven’t seen any out this way (Norfolk)

Big Smile

As promised, No. 165/400.

Just got outbid on EBay  on a nice sparkly green hard top for mine, gutted!

Hiya…and a warm welcome to the Sparkly Berkeley Bunch Waving

You must really love your Berkeley if you were in the running for the hard top that went for over £500 tonight.  I was watching from interest, as I already have a hard top.  I think I’ve only had it on the car once to take a picture, after which it went back in the bag and hung on the garage wall (as car only tends to come out in the dry).

I wouldn’t part with it though, as it just makes the Sparkly package complete.  Also from tonight it appears it might be an appreciating asset Big Smile.

Good to hear of Berkeley’s in other areas.  Wouldn’t it be interesting to plot all the surviving ones on map to see where they live?

Bye for now.

Hi,

Yes I was bidding on it.  I thought if I got one the right colour then it would save getting one another colour and getting a respray.

I do love my Mazda but she needs a bit of tlc.  She has rust in the wheel arches and sills, which I’m guessing the sills is because of the leaky soft top, hence the hard top for the winter.  I will need to get a new soft top for next year but I suppose if I got a new soft top now it would be ok in the winter. I do use mine all year.  The engine and the rest of the car is sweet, just those nasty arches and sills. Sad

Hi to another marmite lover.

Mine is used in all but the worst of weather and lives outside so I have a hard top for the winter only, the original soft top being a bit leaky. I got a black one of e bay, they turn up regularly and don’t go for silly money and it doesn’t look bad, afterall the soft tops are black aren’t they. 

Sorry Maisiemazda, 'twas I who won the the Sparkle Green hardtop for my Berkeley. It really is in first class condition and sets off my car a treat!

Long slog on Sunday to pick it up from Surrey (a county like Cheshire but with less footballers…) but the journey back was a quiet and warm delight.

(Ray) Will try to be more active on the forum.

Delighted to join the Sparkly Berkeley Bunch - i also love Marmite, hot Oxo drinks and banana and strawberry jam sandwiches.

No need to rub it in pickmerepete. Only kidding, lucky you.  Does it really make a great difference to the soft top?  I guess I’ll be looking for another one, any colour and getting a respray.  I will have some paint left over from when I have my arches and sills done.  It would have been a fair trek for me too from Norfolk to Surrey.

I have to get something sorted as my roof leaks above both doors, so I guess that’s why my sills have gone. 

I’m new to all of this, got my Berkeley last week so count me in. photos will be appearing soon.

Welcome to the Forum and Berkeley ownership Waving …you’ve obviously got excellent taste in cars and colour!

There’s quite a few Berkeley owners on here and it’s always great to hear from them and see their cars, and what they’ve done and doing with them. 

Ray.

Yes welcome Waving and congratulations on your choice of car. Another Marmite lover.

well thanks for the warm welcome. The Berkeley i acquired is no 199/400, just found the plaque in the glove box as someone has replaced it with electric windows. I think i’ve found a bit of a bargain here, it has only covered 51100 miles and has detailed MOT and service stamps and i paid a lot less than the one advertised with 11300 miles on the clock! Going to be tidying the car up as i think its been stood a while and just got a peformance air filter from e bay to fit and service next weekend. Can’t wait to get on some of the meets and my son and i are intending to drive down to le man for the 24 hours in it. Any advice greatfully received.Salute

How did you come by your Berkeley, what’s the condition like - good points/bad points. What’s your plans?

Had mine coming up 3 years this summer and its just coming up 52,000 miles so similar to yours.  Since getting it I’ve worked hard on the paintwork and interior to get it looking tidy, and added a few additions/enhancements (which are readily available for 5s).  Fitted a Mk2 mohair soft top and acquired a sparkle green hard top.  Sailed through MOTs so no issues there. FSH up to me getting it, but was keen to keep running costs down so did last two services myself (keeping records of parts etc).  No evidence of having cam belt done in past, so thinking of getting that, water pump and a few other bits done at a garage this year.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as we’re enjoying ours Big Smile

BTW you are most welcome to join the ‘official’ Sparkly Berkeley Bunch by adding:

Member of the SPARKLY BERKELEY BUNCH - The Marmite Mk1  to your signature.

it’s a bit of a long story, but i was made redundant 7 weeks ago and got a bit of cash with it, landed an interim job after 2 weeks and thought what the, so went on a search for one. i first looked at a California but as it was on e bay i got dupped and missed out on the car. so after a bit of research and trawling the ads i found what i really should have gone for in the first instance. i bought it from a dealer in Castleford for £1700 with 3 months warranty and 12 months MOT so chuffed to bits really. My son is keen on cars and wants to learn the mechnics and i think the mx5 is ideal as it is so simple, i think!! I’ll be servicing mine myself and just got a pipercross air filter to help with thet breathing. the car has all of it’s MOT’s so has been quite well looked after. The cam belt is the next step but my farm that one out. The only thing i am waiting for is the DVLA to get their finger out and get the new docs to me so i can tax it. don’t want to run the law on the fantastic country roads round here. As soon as there is another meet in yorkshire i’ll try and get and introduce myself, time permitting.

the other reason for the car is to go down to Le man in it this year with my lad. first time for both so any advice kindly received.

Member of the SPARKLY BERKELEY BUNCH - The Marmite Mk1

Sounds like a nice car at a good price, specially from a dealer (with warranty & 12 month MOT) - sounds like you’ve done well.  I think they are relatively simple mechanically, and I intend to do as much of the maintenance as I can on mine.

I’m in NW area. Don’t manage many social meets but been on quite a few good runs out. We’re going down to the Spring Rally in Cornwall in May, staying down there for 10 days and looking forward to some good scenic driving. It’ll be furthest trip we’ve done in the 5, and biggest challenge to date - packing for the trip!

I’m sure there’ll be someone along to advise on a trip to lemans.  I’d start a new thread asking the question if you want to prompt a reply.

We drive into Yorkshire quite a lot, and I’ve thought of looking at the Yorkshire region runs - so might bump into you one day (not literally).

Regards Ray 

Hi everyone,

Purchased a berkeley a few week ago. excellent condition, 35,500 miles all mot’s private seller in Northern Ireland joined NI MX5 CLUB but there on my own no other berkeleys there. I just ordered a new top mohair/glass window still has orignal boot rack, alloys, key phobe, steering wheel, radio cd player berkeley carpets, no new or after market parts. wheel centre caps were missing, HAVE MADE BERKELEY CENTRE CAPS MYSELF, (excellent job even if I say so myself) if anyone would like a set FOC please contact me  JOHNSTONMEMORIALS@YAHOO.COM

berkeley ray I think you would like these, you seem to be in touch with most of the berkley owners. give this a shot not going to cost you anything.

Tom

berkeley 007/400

Sparkly berkeley bunch

Morning everyone,

just spotted a nice Berekeley on e bay with hard top for £1600. So if you know of anyone looking. i even thought of buying it for the hard top and selling on but i like being married!Thinking

Hi Ray,

Did you get the centre caps I posted to you.

Tom

Hi Tom,  sorry for the delay getting back, we’ve been away then mad busy at work this week.  Yes I received the centres thanks.

The material and lettering is great.  My Berkeley alloys are still at the back of the loft, and I need to get one down and see how they would fit.  Have you sized them to fit into the recess in the wheel or onto the existing plastic wheel centre?  I’ll have a play around and report back when I can get at a wheel.

It looks like a neat process, etching into plastic, and has a good effect that I’m sure will be very durable, and would have loads of other interesting applications.

I’ve included a photo of one of the centres you sent me so that others can see what you are up to, Thanks, Ray:

Did you get my email Tom? I’d love a set of those, how much? 

Mandie

Hi Ray,

They fit into the centre recess 55.3 mm.

Enjoy Tom