Speccing my first MX5.

Hi!

First post, please be gentle…  ;)  I was delighted when I learnt that Mazda had finally added reach adjustment to the steering wheel, as I’m a bit on the tall side and I’d previously struggled to find the right driving position in an MX5. I got around to test driving a new model at the weekend, and I happily realised straight away that I can now fit entirely comfortably in an MX5, and it’s a bloody brilliant drive. So I’ve wasted no time in ordering a new 2.0 Sport Nav+ 8-) 

I’m fine-tuning my choice of options. But the thing is, the configurator on the Mazda website isn’t very reliable. For instance, it says the GT has the Bilstein dampers but doesn’t mention that for the Sport Nav+, even though my Mazda dealer assures me the Sport has the upgraded suspension. I want to make sure I get the spec I want, so I thought I’d check in here to seek some wisdom!

I originally considered the GT, but I decided that I preferred the black leather over the sand, so I opted for the Sport Nav+ with the intention of optioning in the other bits from the GT that I’d like. Which are just the reversing camera and scuff plates. I’m also going for Apple CarPlay. So if I may, my humble questions…

1. My Mazda dealer tells me that the reversing camera install will cost just over £500, which seems a bit pricey. Considering it’s a post-factory addition and not the new setup that’s integrated into the bodywork, is there a smarter, cheaper alternative to buying Mazda’s option that won’t scupper my warranty?

2. Is it definitely the case that the Sport Nav+ has 17" wheels and Bilstein dampers when the 2.0 engine is optioned?

3. I hear mixed reports about the Mazda lowering kit. Does it ruin the ride or put a cherry on the chassis cake?  :D 

4. Finally, I’m beginning to wonder if I do end up deciding to pay about £600 for the camera and scuff plates, am I wiser to just follow through and go for a GT with black leather?

I’ll be very grateful for your knowledge and opinions!

Welcome to the forum - enjoy your car when it arrives. 

1. & 4. I don’t see the need for a reversing camera, especially if you are tall  :stuck_out_tongue:

2. Definitely 17 inch Bright Alloys and Bilsteins.

3. I’ve no experience of this.

4. I thought the camera was an option on the Nav + for £240ish?

Re reversing camera.  Suggest you contact - Roadie - who’s an OC/Forum member he has reversing camera kits which he has designed and built specifically for the Mk.4, and a lot. lot cheaper, with comprehensive instructions, and there are quite a few happy buyers on this  this forum!

Can’t  do links, but check out the thread - MX-5 ND Reversing Camera Kits For Sale (Price drop)

Re the scuff plates, you could buy them from the dealer or MX5parts (click on the ad top right) and fit them yourself, quite easy, even an arthritic incompetent like me fitted them on my SE-L Nav.

Re lowering.  Can’t comment on the ride as I haven’t had it done BUT check with your insurer BEFORE you commit yourself, it could prevent an unpleasant surprise.

Have a look here.   https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/reversing-camera-mk4-p-4242.html.  for another option.

Mazda lowering kit - definitely, it improved mine hugely . Ride slightly firmer , but all the roly poley feel has gone around corners. It should be standard .

I needed a different insurer, as Tesco decided that a 66 year old retired lawyer would turn into a wild beast behind the wheel because he was siting a few mill lower . Pathetic - but alternative took just two phone calls - the first was a good price but assumed I would only want to do 5000 miles pa . So Flux it is .

No that is only if you order the car from the factory and order the camera to be fitted on the production line.

I recently bought a new Polo GTI, I wanted a camera but the dealer said it was £600, but after haggling I got it for £300 fitted

Thanks everyone for your valuable insights! Notably regarding insurance consequences of lowering kits… Good advice.

I think Mazda are a little devious with the pricing in their accessories catalogue (but not uniquely so!). None of the prices shown include labour or essential other parts, like the harness for the camera for instance. I’ll have to find out how getting a non-Mazda camera will affect my warranty. Or of course, get a life and remember all of the years that people successfully reversed cars with nothing more than mirrors! :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Great link, thanks!

Hmm, a summary investigation on confused.com suggests that the lowering kit adds about £50 to an annual insurance premium for me. I can live with that.

Does anyone else have +/- experience of the Mazda supplied lowering kit? I’m tempted to forget the reversing camera and go for this option instead.

I’ve fitted Roadie’s reversing camera kit and it looks very similar to the MX5parts one.  I did it mainly for fun - the ‘member’ price is a bargain.  One can nearly reach out and touch the back of the car but the camera is handy for spotting low obstructions. 

However I believe (and Roadie himself points it out) that most if not all aftermarket kits have the guide lines in the wrong place.  This is because the cameras are generic and the lines cannot be calibrated.  The low mounting point means the lines are closer together than the sides of the car. 

That is the only reason I can think of for buying the original Mazda one - but it’s far too expensive for something I don’t really need.

Personally I wouldn’t want the factory camera.  The resemblance to a tom cat’s bum hole in the middle of the rear bumper once having been pointed out, it can never be un-seen!

I agree that the placement of the factory-fitted camera looks a bit clumsy, as I’ve heard many other comment too. I’ve just done a quick search for ‘lowered’ and found lots of praise for the Mazda lowering kit. So, decision made I think. No to a camera and yes to shorter springs.

Thanks again for all your input. Great forum! Will acknowledge with full membership soon, as I hope to be taking delivery early Sept.

Hi there, we have the Mazda lowering kit fitted to our 2.0 sport nav + we were kind of steered away from it by the dealer on ordering the car so didn’t spec it. However after 2 weeks and a little more research we decided to get it fitted. We both think that the cars ride if not improved is not any worse. It certainly feels much more composed, I think the Bilsteins and Eibachs are very well matched. We had the same on our NC

We certainly don’t regret one little bit.

All this is subjective mind

See lowered our RF in suspension section

Thanks Countryboy (he’s bought two!) and others for the recommendations for my reversing camera kits. Here’s the link -

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst110157_MX-5-Mk4-ND-Reversing-Camera-Kits-For-Sale–Price-drop.aspx

As for affecting warranty I haven’t heard of anyone having any warranty problems after fitting one of my kits or one of the Ventura kits sold by MX5Parts. In theory any unauthorised alterations can make the warranty null and void. That would include fitting anything other than Bridgestone tyres, Zunsport grille, any of the other goodies sold by MX-5 parts that aren’t Mazda branded, even an owner’s club sticker technically would be an unauthorised attachment.

The Mazda reversing camera is better than mine, simple as that. As for value for money, you decide.

I buy the parts for my kits, manufacture and test them in batches of 10. I would guess that Mazda source them in far larger numbers. Mine cost £64.98 including delivery via this forum or a tenner more to cover the fees on eBay. I make a profit that I’m happy with and don’t feel that I’m ripping people off. I wonder how Mazda sleep in their beds? I source the parts from the Far East but if you get chance to see the packaging for the Mazda kit it will say ‘Made in China’ on it.

…scuff plates a must. We have had our new car a few weeks, and the scuff plates are just that!! (Should be standard, but I guess they have to make their money somehow)

(We also got mats…a rip off price for what the are, but again I guess that’s life)

Thanks Roadie for the link, yours looks like a great kit. I’ll see how I feel after a couple of weeks without a reversing camera, and if I decide I really must have one then I’ll place an order with you.

Hi, I’ve had my SportNav + for 3 weeks, and it has rear parking sensors - so a rear camera from Mazda (regurlarly criticised in the reviews I have seen) may not be necessary. However, it is very difficult to see behind you!

No more so than any other car surely?