Sterling Car Insurance

Hi everyone,

I did use the search function, but apologies if this has been discussed before. I have just received my renewal from Adrian Flux and it’s a bit more expensive than I was expecting/would have liked. So naturally, I’m shopping around and I’ve got a very competitive quote from a company called Sterling Insurance, but I’ve never heard of them - has anyone on here used them?

Would recommend trying Aviva Plus.

My my 2010 MX5 and 2019 Honda Civic Sport were insured at a good price on a multi car policy.

1 Like

Trustpilot reviews for Sterling insurance, bit of a mixed bag.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.sterling-insurance.co.uk

1 Like

Is your MX-5 modified?

Mostly positive, though

I had some misgivings when I went with OneCall last year who gave me a very competitive quote but when I saw that the underwriter was a household name I became much more relaxed. Check the underwriter with yours. There are about 5 main groups for motor insurance.

1 Like

I was with Saga for a while then had some mods which I obviously declared.
They are not interested in all that…
Spent a fair amount of time and believe it or not Admiral are brilliant (Multi car).
They have percentage increments if you are not standard.
You have nothing to loose by giving them a call.

2 Likes

Same here, Admiral have been pretty good on price for me with a modified car.
One tip, do barter on the price with them, have a comparison price at hand, I sure they’ll try and beat it. Do the same on renewal, it always worked for me, they actually expect you to haggle the price always wriggle room on that.

2 Likes

Hi Aaron, re Aviva Plus, my MX5 has Mazda lowering springs fitted -30mm and a Cobalt back box. Aviva do not charge extra for those mods, they just log the mods.

1 Like

Agreed with MickAP, I haggled in March on the renewal and saved over £141 for 2 cars and house insurance! Didn’t have to argue either the nice lady just kept giving me money off for this and that. :joy:
Pretty gob smacked to be honest.

1 Like

Mine’s got more mods than yours so I’m not sure my car would be accepted. Plus, I’ve also been with Aviva before - they offered fantastic customer service and my first year was a reasonable price (this was for another car I had previously) but my renewal came through and it went up by around £300 even though I had hit the age of 25. From there I parted ways and didn’t look back.

So, an update; I’ve received a pretty good preliminary quote from Greenlight and I like the fact it was quick to get through to them even in this challenging times, the guy I spoke to sounded like a like-minded car enthusiast and it didn’t take too long to get a quote.

Lancaster have given me a cheaper quote but their poilicies limit mileage to 6,000 a year, which to be honest, might not be a problem, but I normally like to quote 8,000 so I’ve got a bit of a buffer just in case. I wasn’t overly impressed with the customer service from Lancaster as I was put on hold a fair few times, and at some points, for a very long duration. The chap I spoke to seemed nice enough but he spoke over me, which was frustrating and he didn’t seem to know what a roll bar was, which I found surprising given the fact that Lancaster must deal with a lot of MX-5s and it’s not an unusual mod.

Footman James didn’t come back to me, so I’ll have to chase them up tomorrow…

Just be aware of LANCASTERS cancellation fees …
Have a quick search on here !!!

1 Like

It’s all down to personal preference at the end of the day.
I would just like to share that Admiral have just sent me an email saying they are going to give me £25 back for each car insured! (Due to lack of claims being made apparently).They carry on like this and they will be paying me to insure it.
Funny old world at the moment. :joy: :+1:

1 Like

Just be aware most companies will give a good “teaser price” to get your custom, it’s what follows in subsequent years.
I’m sure there are others who stick with certain companies too as they are treated fairly year on year.
Over the last ten years I’ve I must have been with at least six different companies, only Admiral, now in my third year have been ok re price.

Oh and BTW as above, looking forward to my £50 back although I’ve not checked my email yet🤔

1 Like

I too have £50 on its way back :+1:t3::+1:t3::+1:t3::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

2 Likes

In the end I’ve gone with Green Light as they were the cheapest and I’ve the best ‘vibe’ off them. They have also been the easiest to get through, which is important to me so I hope this service continues!

1 Like

Glad you got there in the end.
As you say it is what you feel most comfortable with.
All the best. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for all of your help guys.

A side note - Footman James said their underwriter could not offer a quote due to the vehicle, modifications, and strangely, my hobby…

Your hobby!?? :thinking: What is it, driving into walls at 120mph without a seat belt??! :dizzy_face: Sounds a bit weird to me otherwise!!! :crazy_face:

1 Like