Still Hunting for a NC1 2l Sport 6 speed PRHT

Dear All,

I have been searching for quite a while and seen a good number of cars now, all with very different levels of condition and prices! However, the right one still eludes me.

Does anyone know of a quality NC1 for sale, preferably stock?

Feels like I may be waiting a while!

Cheers

1 Like

What’s your budget and travel area?

1 Like

I know of a nice red one with a black PRHT. The cars in Felixstowe. If it’s any help I can put you directly in touch with the seller

1 Like

Happy to travel for the right car. Budget is flexible but I think the right car should be around 4k

1 Like

Hi Delpel, happy to hear more about this if you want to put me in touch with them.

2 Likes

I have a stunning beauty And they will go up as summer approaches My one is a tad expensive because of its immaculate condition it is totally unmarked with many expensive extras. There are pictures of my car under the Roadsters for sale section. I want £6000 Which considering its low mileage and unmarked bodywork Is quite cheap, most of them are in the £4000 price. My one is well worth the extra it is ready to drive away and enjoy, Photos are on the Roadster for sale section under “ Mint Condition” advertisement , I hope you find the one you are looking for My one is the 2Ltr sport model, leather cockpit Etc, lowered 30mm on new springs ( by experts ) Heated seats boot spoiler lots of chrome accessories Etc, It’s here in Essex for £6000….

1 Like

Hi Raymond, it sure does look and alund like a great deal. I am after a PRHT though, this is a feature that I do not really want to compromise on. Many thanks for sharing your option though, much appreciated.

1 Like

I’ve copied my friend with this post so hopefully he’ll contact you directly.

1 Like

You will have to play the waiting game, no one is going to undersell their car at the moment, it’s a seller’s market as you are finding out. Considering putting my near immaculate 2007 Z-Sport up for sale but the car I’m looking at is £2k more than what they were going for 12 months ago.

3 Likes

The longer you wait the more mileage and use the NC’s out there are doing, the more that get written off and the less good ones that are available. So it ends up that good examples will continue to command their prices. I can’t really see the prices dropping now. You’ll pay more but if you have a current car then it’s probably worth more.

I doubt you would have gotten a 2.0 PRTH in good condition for ÂŁ4k 2+ years ago because I bought mine almost 2 years ago for 4800, 50k, fsh.
They are 16 year old cars now so they will always need some work, they suffer with rust so that a few £100 on underseal if it’s not been sorted etc

1 Like

Makes perfect sense what you are saying and appreciate everyone’s input.

I can certainly go more. There just seems to be a vast difference between price and condition at the moment. As people have already said, it’s a sellers market and maybe people are taking advantage of that.

I’ve just bagged a runaround as my car was written off. I looked at all manner of cheap runarounds and settled on an old k11 micra which after a weeks ownership has only just ticked over 46k miles. I paid £700, yes, over the odds and what the current market value is, but I was happy as it is in incredible condition. Maybe I am just looking for the one that ticks the right boxes and gives me the gut feeling that I need, and if that is 6k than so be it, I would be happy.

An option would be to save a little longer and go for and NC2 perhaps as the earlier models aren’t that much of big jump, plus there are some ironed out issues.

It’s great hearing everyone’s thoughts and has given me comfort as to this being the right community to be a part of.

1 Like

The car in Neston for £7k, that kind of money doesn’t seem like great value and dealers are there to make profits, I don’t really trust them. Someone that just owns an MX5 as their personal car or hobby will have all the answers.

As for the black one, well it’s black so hope you’re good with your washing but other than that if it all checks out on the insurance checks, not written off then seems like a good option. If you’re going forged engine and turbo, look out for ones already done, they do pop up, I think BBR GTI have a for sale section also.

I did look at turbo options or buying a turbo MX5 but could not warrant the ÂŁ5k+ costs or waiting for one to pop up, I think 230hp+ MX5 MK3 with 300nm of torque would really be a great fun motor.

A falling tree finished off my Aunts K11 Micra, she didn’t really care for it at all, she had it for 10-15 years, drove it daily and it still took nature to kill it.

1 Like

The Oct 2020 MOT is interesting

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Offside Rear Seat belt anchorage prescribed area strength or continuity significantly reduced close to seat belt mount (7.1.1 (a) (i))
1 Like

Indeed, must have been resolved though. My dad is an MOT tester and says some can be a little over zealous with their descriptions. It would be something to investigate though.

1 Like

It’s not been loved through its life has it, avoid.:-1:

1 Like

Just seen some oils, doesn’t look like it has!

1 Like

Yes indeed, I feel that There is going to be some considerable trauma in the economy later this year and next… And little reliable cars like MX5 will command much higher prices… especially because of the “ CHIP “ problem that is affecting the NEW CAR MARKET … This will have a knock on affect with older cars becoming the last resort ( even if temporarily) for quite some time, It’s already happening,
I am not really bothered about selling my little beauty, but have put the price up in anticipation of my prophesies coming true later this year …. I think that At least £1000 should be added to (many) MX5 models to reflect any serious wobble in the value of the pound, you might get £5000 worth of pounds for your car and feel quite pleased but might become worth far less in real value,! Etc…. Just my opinion here, …. Hope I am proven wrong, and before anyone suggests I am scaring people I’m just being honest at a time when none of us can see what tomorrow might look like I’m trying to tell you to keep your guard up ….

I am also aware that my post ( above ) is slightly off topic …. Ray… in Essex…

1 Like

Prices are crazy, changing our Z-Sport due do to wife’s health/ back condition and on Tuesday have been offered more in part exchange than I paid for it nearly four years ago. Only problem is cars we have looked at are £4-5k more expensive than twelve months ago.

1 Like

Tell me about it,
I bought a Lamborghini Countach 5000s in 1985 from Symbol park lane ( it’s no longer there ). I paid £55,000 it is now valued at £500,000 because of its unique provenance …. (sold it for £35,000 two years later)
I now kick myself to bed every night. But none of us knew what was to come with prices of such cars, Before that I owned a Ferrari Berlinetta boxer Bought it for £35,000 sold it for £25000 (That’s how it was back in the early 80s) one like it today would be £400,000 … the Ferrari Boxer was famous at the time as the fastest road car ( Guinness book of records of that period ) The Ferrari 512 Was a typical early Ferrari Terrible build quality and nothing special to drive, (But wish I had it now) todays Ferraris are build much better , they had to up their game ( and they have ) ….

1 Like

Hi Ray,

I guess I’m aware of this but it’s amazing to hear it from you. I can remember back in the early 80s a good pal of mine told me he’d rather own a Countach than a house. We were about 15 growing up in a Derbyshire village called Cromford. He’d have been better off with the car… he now drives an Elise, me the NC. Have you sold your NC yet? It looks fab.

2 Likes