Suffolk, where should I visit?

We are off to Suffolk soon, well at the weekend and plan on doing down the coast there. Stopping near Southwold, we have a few places on the radar like Aldeburgh, Thorpeness, mainly coastal. Any recommendations we may find interesting?
We’ll be moving on after a few days and staying near Bury St Edmunds, again anywhere recommended near there, we have Lavenham as a must visit so far?
Thanks.

1 Like

you’ve done your homework, Southwold, with it pier, then go down to the harbour, perhaps walk across the bridge to Walberswick, another wonderful little place.
Dunwich is a fascinating place with a lot of history, and great fish and chips on the beach, (if its open this time of year)
Snape Maltings is worth a visit, it’s not far from Aldeburgh.
Minsmere bird reserve and dunwich heath.
Take a tour of the Adnams brewery in Southwold, then go have a cup of tea on the pier as you sober up from the free samples!
Bury is also a lovely place but not to away is Ipswich, and you will love Christchurch Park, and the mansion, then walk down to the Waterfront for lunch, on a nice day that’s not so different to the riviera with lots of boats,
Take a drive through Kersey, across the ford,
Lavenham is a must,
There is masses more,
Enjoy,

4 Likes

Well that’s certainly a good start, thank you.:+1:
Been looking on the YouTube videos at various places, spoilt for choice really on the seaside places, yes fish & chips a must at some point, brewery, yes👍

Framlingham is nice from what I remember, havent been for a long time but I doubt a historic market town will change much haha the castle is a nice place to have a walk round, I cant remember how far it was from the coast though, Orford was a lovely little place to visit as well with some nice scenery and good photo opertunities

3 Likes

Orford with it’s castle and the quay opposite Orfordness. Woodbridge with it’s Tide Mill. If at Lavenham also visit Long Melford.

3 Likes

Yes, was going to add in Framlingham with its castle, and Orford with castle and quay.
And yep, Woodbridge on the Deben
How long have you got ?

2 Likes

Six days, already not long enough :weary:

We often find ourselves up in Suffolk and agree with all the above !
Hope you enjoy it .
P.S. Some of these places get very busy on a nice weekend , worth an early start

1 Like

its odd, as I’ve lived in Suffolk all my life, and back when i was a kid most of the places mentioned were just another small town, nothing special, we visited, usually on miserable grey days, and they never stood out at all. However in recent years many of the places on the Suffolk coast have been elevated into must visit, holiday home filled, tourist hot spots, to rival the best on the UK and probably justifiably so.
And no one has mentioned Constable country and a visit to Flatford, Willy Lotts cottage yet!

2 Likes

Norfolk, but not too far away…

Day trip today to Cromer from our place in Hunstanton. Warning Avoid Wells and A149. Road closed.

Here’s a picture of the Pier from Cromer . . 

Here’s a picture of Cromer from the Pier . . 

TripAdvisor Things to do in Suffolk

3 Likes

We last visited Norfolk when we stayed over a few days after the Rally at Sandringham. Been a few time before as we have relatives in Norwich, visits to the coast a must when over that way but never ventured further than Great Yarmouth.:+1:
Maybe a separate holiday to revisit Norfolk, so much to see.:+1:

1 Like

Cant forget the crab! A must have when visiting Cromer, absolutely delicious.

2 Likes

The historic “RAF” Honington village is very picturesque for a car photoshoot, albeit it’s off the general beaten track. Stayed there a few times.

2 Likes

We are staying 5 miles from there as a base for the final few days.:+1:

3 Likes

If you’re in the Thorpeness and Aldeburgh area, then try dropping in to the Long Shop museum in Leiston - update, maybe not, it doesn’t open until March 27th… worth a visit at another time!

1 Like

Busy last two days, a few pics from Suffolk.

I need to paint my shed charcoal grey, love these.

7 Likes

Great ! I recognise them all.

1 Like

We’ve moved on today towards Bury St Edmunds, on the 2nd tank of juice :roll_eyes: weather absolutely stunning, visited here today…

2 Likes

Orford ?

1 Like

Defo.