Supermarket "Antics"

I’m very aware of the subline tricks they employ to wedge my money out my wallet,
I go with a list created in the kitchen, then come home with nothing more.
I also study Prices per 100g “deals”.
You be surprised how many are no deal at all, in fact sometimes more expensive.
However, there is sublime, and then there is “avvin a geeraff”
Like this (Tesco live today) as I write.
Not mine. In Hingalandsheer.
The only thing that will ever stop this cynical nonsense is boycotting the products if not the store.
But Joe Pillock…sorry Public…won’t. “He” is amongst hundreds of thousands of collective “shoppy sheeples”

1 Like

I noticed similar in our local Tesco yesterday

Ditto…Tesco [All Supermarkets] and Going in With List

What Irritates Me is When They Move Products Around

The Psychology is I Believe That Whilst Trying to Locate Your Usual Product You Will Scan Other Products and Hopefully See With Fresh Eyes and Be Tempted to Buy Them

I’m No More Falling for That Than Buying Items at ‘Eye Level’

1 Like

Sainsbury’s last year, what’s happened to the salted peanuts, where are they?
Under the travelator sir by the clothing was the answer, it’s the other end of the large store by the clothing. So not in the crisp aisle any longer, apparently they are seasonal.:unamused:
Few months later I noticed they’ve moved back to the crisp aisle, I’d already been to look under the travelator for them before going down the other end of the store.

More months later I asked an assistant, now where have you put the salted peanuts, answer they are in the graze aisle, tempted to ask what the… is the graze aisle and where?
I gave up eating peanuts from Sainsbury’s, I get them from Lidl now, cheaper too.

Supermarkets have, if you’ve noticed have had to remove snack items from near front of store, tills etc in a move to cut down folks snacking, not healthy they say. So they stick em all towards the rear of the store, gives them more exercise to go get them😁
That’s until Christmas shopping bargains kick in, oh look all the chocs and crisps, beer, biscuits have appeared again at the front of store.:thinking:

Are those Easter eggs? :astonished:

1 Like

Well,
They are sort of egg shaped, ultra thin dodgy & usually disgusting so called “chocolate”, with plastic & cardboard packaging destined for Eiger Sanction landfill mountains to cap off the piles of Yultide crappachino, are criminally over priced per 100G, can often be found piled up in trolleys of the Hard of Thinking blighted with Cognitive Dissonance who’d (perhaps) be the first to whinge about their leccy bills over their Iphones having not seen their toes for 30 years thanks to their pastry, McD, and Pringled sponsored pot bellies.
So yeah,I guess they could be Easter eggs.

6 Likes

Yes: quite disgusting! And have you seen the price and size of Mars Bars? When I was able to eat them without putting on weight, they were 4 1/2d and twice as big. But this was probably about the time of the last coronation. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

David

Not so much a …err… shoppy sheeple (snappy , huh ? ) as somebody who thinks life is not only too short to stuff a mushroom , but it is too short to angst about the price/100g of a Tunnnocks Teacake (some weird delicacy the locals eat north of the Tweed I think ? )

I worked part-time in a supermarket years ago whe writting up my PhD - needed the money as funding was running out - there’s a hell of a lot phsycology in those places.
Put things that you buy every day or two e.g. milk & bread at opposite ends of the shop so you’ll walk through and buy other things.
End of shelfs have loss leaders on them that you’ll walk past when moving from aisle to aisle
Wider aisle are promoted as more space - yes - but also means you take in more of the shelf not just the stuff at eye level
Things they make most profit on are put at eye level
Very few make bread on the premisies - it’s brought in frozen and only takes 20-30mins for them to make “as new” and they pump the bread smell into the air-con as it’s that nice homely smell that also makes you feel hungry
There’s a hell of a lot more they do - you do really need to keep your wits about you,butif you’ve ever worked in one you’re that wee bit more savvy than most folk to their tricks.

I noticed the other day that the stop smoking items are all around 1/2 as much again as they were before the turn of the year - why? - Well this it the time most people will try to stop smoking - extra profit - or rather price gouging!

1 Like

A little tip, just in case anyone is unaware of this. Reach to the back of supermarket shelves for the best ‘use buy’ or ‘use before’ dates on perishable products. All new stock is deliberately put at the back of shelves so shoppers buy the older products at the front.

Round here, brussels sprouts are sold in boxes with cellophane on top. The top layer of sprouts is fine, but the lower layer has clearly been picked a day or more earlier. Of course, this is the same if you buy veg from a barrow. The displayed veg is super, but they serve you from the back! It is a jungle out there: I like to be able to select my own stuff…

David

1 Like

I got a 3 kilo pork joint yesterday for £1.50.
Nothing wrong with it.
It’s getting slow roasted as I write with Wiltshire rashers on top and baking apple slices around it.
I can see the cracklin’ a-poppin’

3 Likes

Just done similar with a gammon joint. Slow cooker covered in honey having soaked overnight. Plenty there sliced up for sarnies and ham egg n chips etc. A small pack of sliced ham can cost around £3 at M & S this joint £3.45 and is much more tasty.

1 Like

For Waitrose shoppers….just choose the biggest value weekly vouchers as you don’t actually have to buy the item.
Apologies if that has been said before.

Run that one past me again.

Anyway, the free coffee’s back for us Yellow Label Bandits

2 Likes

On the Waitrose app you get to choose 2 vouchers a week, which you then scan at the checkout. I assumed you had to actually buy the items to get the money off. You don’t in fact, so just choose the biggest money off ones. Even if you haven’t got the item in your shop, you still get the money off.

Oh and don’t forget your free copy of The Times!

1 Like

Since supermarkets started using those barcode zappers where you can zap and pack your own shopping as you go (super convenient - I do like it) I’ve been wondering just how much information they collect. They could always collect info on what products get bought together and with credit card info they could collect info on what one shopper buys on multiple visits, but with a zapper they can learn what order you buy things in, and probably track its movements around the aisles to analyse where you go and what you pause at, even if you don’t buy. It’s a little creepy to think of being surveilled like this but I guess it’s no more sinister than an old fashioned shopkeeper paying attention to what his customers like, just on a bigger scale.

2 Likes

This is just the tip of the iceberg, - Companies watching what you do, and in the cars case, where you go, and when, and how often……
It took me over an hour to disable my last BMWs positioning system, relayed to somewhere unknown in Germany.
But still, random ‘updates’ would happen to my (and I stress my, as I owned the car) overnight.
I’ve given up now…… there’s people with greater power/influence/private schools/money than me.
Trains: get real. This is 2023, not 1980……you’ll end up losing …MT/ Miners anyone
NHS: stick with it. Modernise, Make it happen: you have the ability and heart….you know what’s needed, - not always headlines & more money. Management: not necessarily someone who’s done the time…
Government’ Don’t ever confuse activity with progress: statistics lie…
Thinking about it I’m sure everyone in the news has complete indifference /self interest at heart, and lye accordingly.

I’m sure if you order a Home Delivery…say Tesco…you’ll find when you are making the order up it’ll “suggest” things you bought before.
Especially from the info they hold to award you Club Card points etc.
I’d rate Amazon a bit dodgy.
Bought a Dot5 last week, and made sure my requests & convos are not kept…as they admit they do.

Only one way to stop it all.
Go old school , get off line, pay cash for everything, get an old Nokia, give up FB etc & Emails…pay ALL your bills cash over the counter…
Aye…right!
For sure, the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s & 80’s were sometimes problematical…but much more private and simple.
Info tech saves live…without it where would we be.

Tesco and the like wield enormous power and undoubtedly harvest immense amounts of data . But having grown up in the Sixties - an era of shabby shops selling limited ranges of crappy products- I really wouldn’t go back .Food was often of dire quality .and the parochiality was gob smacking to a modern eye. Stuff we take for granted now - decent bread , wine , mangos and avocados (anything that wasn’t a spud or a pea , basically ) - was unheard of , shops closed at 5-30 and half day closing on Monday or Wednesday , and all day Sunday . It was unimaginably , brain crushingly dull .