That's a girls car!!!

Indeed Verdun, best wishes on your retirement - will have to think-up some more electrics upgrades tho keep you busy fellaWink

They are a bit girly but theres nothing wrong with being in touch with your feminine side…

Dr. EunosGeek

Car enthusiasts know how good MX5s are.  I was very pleased at the reaction it receieved when parked up amidst GTRs and Radicals at Brands Hatch the other week.  However, everyone knows what the Great Unwashed think about MX5s - buying one is in itself a decision to rise above it.  If we wanted to impress idiots, this would be the debadged320dOC.

i 1st got this when i brought mine a friend was abit jealous he is a mazda fan and wanted a rx8 i handed him the keys wothout a word said to him once he had made that silly remark we got in he fired the so called girls car and after that he said sorry and he loved it. lol 

i guess it doesnt help that these cars are very desirable with the ladys but we all love them so who cares anyway

4/5 years ago I was one of these pi$$ takers and for this I am ashamed Embarassed

However, after seeing one for sale and taking it out for a spin I was sold and instantly went to Confession to ask for forgiveness for all my previous derogatory comments.

I bought the car, had it and loved it for 3 years, then sold it (stupidly) because I saw a nice Golf GTI.  My wife told me not to sell the Mazda but I foolishly ignored her.  Within a couple of months of having the Golf I started looking at Mk1s again, and now I have my silver joy!

I now work voluntarily preaching the benefits and pleasure of these joyous cars, knocking door to door, putting up bill posters, wearingsandwich boards whilst standing in the middle of roundabouts etc. 

I hope I have been forgiven, but I shall continue my journey…

There’s a guy down the road from me used to make these passing remarks so when I got feed up with him I asked him to send his wife down and I will curl her hair for her (with a wink in my eye) Wink and a cheekie smile Smile he has not said anything since (cut and blow madam) suspose the ham shanker is jealous as he has little amount of hair so just drive and smile.

Alan   

Well having owned a Triumph Spitfire for nearly 25 years (June is the anniversary), I’ve had to put up with the “hairdresser’s car” tag since I was 18 so it doesn’t bother me. As for the MG comments, I’ve had them often enough and that rankles far more as Triumph and MG were the arch-rivals - even more so once they came under the British Leyland banner - and Triumph were far superior  - but I would say that wouldn’t I?

Anyway, the comments are like water off a duck’s back these days as far as the 5 is concerned! Stick Tongue Out

I just reply with “would you want me cutting your hair”

(mines almost down to the wood, so it’d be a close No.1 for them)

or, offer to take them for a ‘spin’ in it - soon change their minds Im sure

It is jealously…you can’t drop the roof on a Mondeo can you?

I also have the hairdresser comments (particularly at work) - they stop as soon as you get them out in the car, especially with the roof down.

I have owned many cars, this is easily my favourite…it’s a real driver’s car.

If the bigotted chauvanist that is Jeremy Clarkson said -

The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing
on the road will give you better value. Nothing will give you so much
fun. The only reason I’m giving it five stars is because I can’t give it

Can it really be a girls car?

As an S2000 owner and Elise owner before that, I’m ashamed to say I was firmly in the “The mx-5 is a girls car” camp.

A few months ago I bought a mk1 for the wife. Since then I’ve driven it nearly every day and couldn’t give a stuff what people say, it’s without a doubt, the most fun car I’ve ever driven. I’m hooked!

Hang on

so bl**dy what?

a girl’s car? what’s so wrong?
It’s like calling something gay?
so what?

it’s a car - it’s a great car

Maybe it’s easier being female but i ain’t exactly a barbie doll!
I get so few teases
I have had a light-hearted accusation of being a poseur but that’s all it was.

Why are people so insulted by having their motor referred to as a girl’s/hairdresser’s car?
It’s not insulting to be female and there’s nowt wrong with being a hairdresser so what’s the issue?
Just because Joe Twazzok perceives the terms to be insulting doesn’t mean we have to view it like that.

So, cut n blow dry anyone?
Wink

I could probably rig the vinyl cutter up and knock off a couple of those logos if anyone is interested Stick Tongue Out

Well put me down for one !..would love to have one of those on the side/back window !)

Can’t say that anyone who has ever been in an MX5 (1, 2, or 3) would call it girly…Bloody great fun more like but on this thread it’s talking to the converted

And for us blokes…any girl seen driving one of these has got to be …welll…more fun than one who has never !!! 

I’ve been asked if it’s my MLC (Mid-Life Crisis) car but overall the reaction is “cool car Mike”, but never been asked if it’s a girls car!!!

I’d better remember where I put all the vinyl cutter bits then.

I’d have one of those stickers too. It shows that A) you’re aware of the issue and B) that you’re happy to make fun about it. Diffuses the subject immediately.

Although I do find it ironic that the posters profile name is VO5 Wink

What do you call a pair of MX5 drivers?

Toni and Guy.

I usually say I like my car so much I don’t give a flying f*** what anyone else thinks.  No one ever says that about their Mondeo.

PhilC you can put me down for one of those logo’s just let me know the cost

Alan

You can never win with car ownership. about 10 yrs ago when i was in my forties I had a red 944. Everybody used to ask if I had come to work in the “Menoporsche” . When I owned an MGB they used to ask where my beard and sandles were. My main car these days is Skoda and you can imagine the side splitting remarks i get about that! When I take the wifes Mx5 I get the “hairdresser” or Girls car “comments”. It doesn’t matter and who cares? It is ALWAYS from somebody who has never driven one, and definitely ALWAYS from somebody who has never been around Cadwell or Brands in my trackday car sideways!!! I don’t think is jealousy as they are the most affordable of cars, I think its just ignorance of how good these little cars are to drive. I’m off now to polish my bald spot and go for a blat with the top down. Cobblers to them!

So whats wrong with girl car ownership ???Don't know

Its The Best car money can buy and i always carry a hairdrier in the glove box just in case i see  a  bloke that needs a cut and dry as most of the comment makers are usually

secret wanabee mx ownersDancing

to be honest most of my freinds cant wait to get behind the wheel when i feel in the mood to let them have a go