That's a girls car!!!

I get its a Hairdressers car too!

But really I dont care at all, its tiny minded people who really havent caught the 5 Bug and we should all think we are part of a special group of people who appreciate the magic of  the little 5, if anything I would rather say its a cute car full of spirit a true clasic in the making. I also have a Boxter which is a very nice car and again attracts the “Girls Car” comment but again its jealousy and I love my MX5 more as it has a charecter of its own. 

It is somewhat girl sized though, I hope the next generation will be more suited to tall men over 6’ 2" like myself. I suppose the Japs are shorter.

2+2 coupes are great because you can push the drivers seat back to the perfect position (when there is no-one behind which is mostly the case anyway).

So why did you buy one? and if they turn it into a 2+2 wont be a 2 seater sports Wink

I am not suggesting the MX5 will, or should, become a 2+2 coupe (although you may recall that the Lotus Elan (the supposed inspiration for the MX5) was also made as a 2+2 edition) . But the MX5 needs a fraction more leg room. The average height of Europeans is steadily rising for one thing.

Why buy it? There wasn’t much else in this market price segment (which is why they have sold so many) and I happen to live just round the corner from a Mazda dealer. I can fit in it (obviously) - just that it would even better if it had about two inches more adjustment on the seat.

I think that is an interesting point. The Elan was, of course, a 2+2 and it didn’t spoil the lines so much. Not as pure but not ugly by any means.

As for the extra 2" legroom I suggest a ‘foamectomy’. It is dead simple. Adjust your seat on its runners all the way forward and then tip the seat back all the way forward. You’ll see three ‘hog rings’ at the bottom of the seat back holding the bottom fabric together. Unclip these then lean the seat all the way back, reach around to the front, slip your hand in and pull out the seat back foam. Instant 2" legroom (because you sit deeper back in the seat now), extra side support (for the same reason) and not at all uncomfortable (if you’re of a certain size Wink). When you’re done just retie the bottom of the seat back with nylon ties and if you don’t like it, just put the foam back in. Simples. You can do the same for the seat bottom but for extra headroom but it’s a little more involved. Not much - just a little…

Interesting idea. I’m pretty slim, so don’t have any natural padding, but I will certainly think about it. What does the seat fabric look like afterwards (do you have any pictures?). I actually like to recline my car seats quite a lot where possible. Headroom is not a problem.

The RX8 quite appeals (as an everyday car, as well as a fun car) - but I wouldn’t want that fuel consumption!

A chap (complete with sickly smile) only said that to me the other day, when I asked what he drove he told me an AUDI TT (with a bigger sickly smile)  - very nice I said VW Golf’s have always been a nice car. He couldn’t reply to that.

I wonder why I bothered talking to him… MX5 is an MX5 regardless of either being a Mk 1 - 2 - 2.5 - 3 

Good Job  

“It is somewhat girl sized though, I hope the next generation will be more suited to tall men over 6’ 2” like myself. I suppose the Japs are shorter.

2+2 coupes are great because you can push the drivers seat back to the perfect position (when there is no-one behind which is mostly the case anyway)."

Eh? I’m 6’2 and a big (not fat) fella and i fit inside it perfectly. Even in my size eleven doc martin steelies… Also, having had some great drivers (and more powerfiul) cars such as Capri 2.8i and 280, 3 litre Supra, 200sx s14, and a 328i (now for sale for another mx5) i can honestly say the mx5 has provided the biggest grin factor.

It’s fully reversible if you don’t like it. I don’t have any pics yet I’m afraid but I’ll be putting them on ebay soon if you’re anywhere near Cumbria. The seats look stock because there is a thin layer of padding in the seat material itself that helps it keep its shape. Day in day out driving will probably slacken the material eventually but it doesn’t look wrong. I think this mod works better with cloth seats than leather ones. The leather ones to me do look stretched and saggy looking after a while.