This needs saving

… but I don’t think I have the capacity or ability.

Registered 23rd March 1990, last MOT 2014, SORN since 2013.

I am very tempted to knock on their door…

Where in the country is it ?

Dorset.

1 Like

Ahh, that is a very early UK one… as you say, definitely needs saving.

I wonder if you were to knock on the door and explain the significance of it, whether they might do something with it themselves or give you the go ahead to help them get it to someone who’s got the know-how (and time (and money)) to get it back to its original state…. I hope so anyway.

1 Like

Only DON’T extoll it’s rarety aspects, but just explain you need a hobby/project. :wink:
You do not what their eyes to go all Wheeler Dealer. ££££
Clearly nobody gives a damn about it.
It could have been abandoned for being as rotten as a pear or some teminal mechanical thing…or it belonged to a dear departed abd they do not want it to go.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m scratching my chin over it, but I think I’m going to knock on their door this coming weekend.

1 Like

Play it right, it’s quite possible you could flip it for profit to somebody who can nut an bolt it…for that is what it needs.
Andrew at Autolink in Dumfries is typical of a 1st Div spares source dying to get his mitts on MK1s to strip for donor bits. Some bits are getting thin on the ground now.

SORNed since 2003 :face_with_peeking_eye:

If it’s been parked under that laurel hedge for 10 years then what you see is probably all that is left.

1 Like

Very true… I was thinking about it from a historical value perspective if they were going to junk it (which it seems like they have, just not at the junk yard…) not from a buyers point of view.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the big worry.

Ever get De-Ja-Vu?

My Red UK Mk1 was registered on the 28th March 1990, so almost twins. I read somewhere that the really early cars appear to hold their condition slightly better than the later Mk1s, I don’t know how true this is, but
car
either way a UK car of this vintage should be saved if at all possible.

1 Like

Having lived with car restorations all my married life, I think this can and should be saved.

We saved far worse looking projects, when my husband was alive, and now they are still winning prizes at car clubs.

It will be a hard, expensive task and you will need a network to help you source stuff, skills and knowledge; It is out there. (Hooray for the MX-5 OC!)

I sourced lots of stuff to help with the projects - being the computerate one (and nifty with a sewing machine, holding stuff in place until bolted on, feeding the enthusiast etc etc etc)

Knock on that door! Let them know it’s a classic. It needs dedication and a full resto!

2 Likes

Yeah. I think I will be walking down and knocking on that door…

2 Likes

Let us know what the outcome is, please! :blush:

Will do!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.