To buy or not to buy?

That is the question. I fancy a little… no a big project! Anybody restored a mk1 from scratch at all. If you was taking on this challenge like I might what’s your thoughts for me to look out for. No plates on so can’t check the year or history at the moment but has an Eunos badge I think!

Any remarks will be appreciated good or bad!

Cheers

Ant

4 Likes

If it’s cheap enough/free then nothing to lose.
Get it home, assess it, then either go for it or break it for parts/move it on.

2 Likes

It just needs a wash and MOT to me, go for it.:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::+1:

2 Likes

Am thinking that. Even having a hard top is the first perk! Looks immaculate inside so obviously kept dry enough.

I’d not be too surprised a jet-wash will reveal it’s not as bad as the photo makes out.
The sills etc appear…(cough?)…shall we say a bit less worse than I’ve seen before.
Of course…it’s a long haul nut & bolter which is your point after all.
Don’t do it for profit though.
Do it for… erm… “fun”.
Some Mk1 used spares are getting thin on the ground now.
If it were not for like minded folk as you…classic car shows would be a bit thinner.
It does have the “unmessed with” look to it as well.

2 Likes

I haven’t checked the sills yet but externally it just seems to have been sitting for one too many years! Takes me back to when I was 21! Had the exact same car and i think that’s a big reason I want to save it as well as having a little play toy!

1 Like

Oh…go on…you know you want to. :wink:
You just need a wee push… :laughing:
And at your expense, a nice build thread would be bliidy good too.

5 Likes

Vice Grip Garage makes it a habit of getting nearly all of his field finds running again:

4 Likes

As the sills are painted black - it looks like someone has done 2something" to the sills, as they should be red… Can you get the reg number and look on the MOT history? It may have a rear number plate?

No rear plate on at the moment
Popping round there in a bit!

Good luck - but you should probably go for it, as long as it is in “reasonable” condition, but with as much knowledge of what will need doing as possible.

Standard factory finish was black to the line that car is showing, as far as I’m aware? Not to say it hasn’t been repaired previously though or that it doesn’t need attention to those areas :thinking: if it’s for nothing, or almost, might be worth a go, saving another from the scrap heap is a good thing :+1:
Barrie

3 Likes

One good thing is it’s been sat on paving not grass

It’s automatic and blow me down 24450 miles!

1 Like

Coincidence!
I’ve been eyeing up this poor abandoned little fella for the last three years - just around the corner from me. 102490 (‘miles’ ?), MoT expired Dec 2018, but a remarkably clean MoT history prior to that (which is the main temptation). Knocked the door and spoke to the owner a few weeks ago - he wants rid.
On a quick inspection, lower rear sills and rear arches looked to be in really good shape, and original. Some bad corrosion at the bottom of that front O/S wing - but because of the lacquer peel, prob best option is just to bolt a new red one on. Some very expensive wheels/tyres recently bolted on but never run - and a proper roll bar in place.
I’m going to see it properly Thurs PM, get underneath it and check out the usual suspect rot areas - and provided we can agree a price (he wants £1.2 - I’m thinking 750!) - I think it’ll be moving to my drive :smiley:

5 Likes

Yes - £1200 a bit high - a lot of work needed on this, but hopefully mainly cosmetic.

Good luck!

1 Like

…and you!

Hi apulfermx5 and H1S_VRB,
They both look like they are really crying out to be rescued!
Hope you can both get them for sensible prices. Good luck!

1 Like

I am not sure that is right. I had understood red MX5s came with black painted sills. Other colours they were not. I say this as I asked around as mine were getting replaced and someone pointed me to the contemporary Mazda pictures when new.