To buy or not to buy?

Very shiny indeed! Great work! Wish the metalwork in my engine bay was as spotless… :smirk:

One possible note of caution, though, is on the colour of the radiator top. As they age the colour turns from black to green. Since they get brittle with age, it may be worth keeping an eye on it as cracks can mean overheating when fluid leaks out.

If it’s just the light, feel free to ignore that comment, of course! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Saw a bit of dust on your washer bottle! Very impressive.

Ant

Hi Jitsuka,
Thank you!
Yes, I understand and note your comments about the radiator top. The car has only done 26,350 miles, but it is twenty years old, so the top of the radiator has got a very slight green hint, and it is something that I do keep a keen eye on!

Ha, ha! I had better check that then?!! Thank you!

You have had a great result there, well done with the tidying up, surely it must be a keeper, I think others are correct you will kick yourself forever more if you sell it, give it a while at least. My MK2 had a similar story sat for best part of 11 years, came up superb with the exception of a few paint scuffs which I’m working on, if your interested it’s story is on Mazda Menders website under “from unloved to reborn” Wayne of Mazda Menders did the work. MK1 make good money if you do decide to sell , ignore the £1000 offers I’ll give you £1500 for it :wink::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Sorry but had missed an announcement on an auction taking place. I’ll bid £1,550.

:wink:

Sold!!!:joy:

Bidding war! :joy:

In all honesty I’ll have to consider the cost of insuring, taxing and maintaining 3 soft tops and a sportage!
I suppose the mini’s for sale.
Quick story. Renewal on sportage. I’ll just see if I can get saving so give them a call. Yes sir I can get you a saving of £1.70 over a year. Well done you. Pop on compare for 5 minutes and save £160. I think I’ll change.

Ant

2 Likes

If only you were serious! Just a thought, the only problem I have had is a fuel starvation problem caused by the 11 year old fuel clogging the pick up filter which I duly cleaned along with a large coffee mug full of rusty debris from the bottom of the tank after a while the problem had returned but not as bad and I removed about a table spoon full of debris second time around, I am currently running a few tankfulls of fuel through hoping they dislodge any remaining crud in the tank then I shall see if there is any more to be removed, if you come across the problem I am happy to give you details of what I found and work I carried out, I also posted in depth on it on here, taken care.
Kind regards Dave

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry too much about the radiator colour

On an old car, with old hoses, there is something to be said though converting to a waterless coolant, such as Evans. No pressurisation. Haven’t looked back since doing my mega miles Roadster a few years back.

Hi saz9961,
Thank you for your comments about the radiator.
I do keep a good eye on all the things under the bonnet, and also have a lovely friend who is a brilliant mechanic, and he checks everything over when ever he has the car too.

1 Like

New plugs and leads and the car is starting beautiful.

They were not plugs to be proud of!

I hope that was all the spluttering and sometimes non starting. Plugs do not like not sparking for 23 years it seems!

Ant

4 Likes

Sorry had to get them!

1 Like

I think the owners club has had an affect on me! Haha

1 Like

Nice little detail there! :+1:

Barrie

1 Like

More attention on engine bay today. Making the cam cover a bit better and some painting of ugly surfaces! Even cleaned the radiator fans.

2 Likes

Mk1 love! I’ve had 8 or 9 mk1’s over the last twenty years and they are one of the nicest car IMO for cleaning, tidying, blinging up etc. Never had a mk2 (jumped straight to mk3) but I guess they are the same? I’m trying my best with my current NC2! :joy::joy:
Barrie

1 Like

I love comparing my 2. It’s amazing how the mk1 wins on a lot of aspects of build quality even with a 21 year age gap!

1 Like

I had those. I think 2 were gone in a week, and the others ended up seizing on.

1 Like