Tyre recommendations for ND 2016

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2016 ND 2.0
  2. I’m based near: London
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Bought the car from Mazda second hand it’s got odd tyres on the front.

What is stock, and what’s recommended for this car please. Will be used on roads, not track days.

thank you

Michelin PS4 every time

3 Likes

I would suggest going slightly wider to 215/45/R17 you get a tad more grip and that size is a bit cheaper. Do not get the stock Potezna S001 tyre it’s ■■■■.

3 Likes

Brilliant, thanks both so much. Michelin PS4’s it is!

All the best

Not done huge miles on my assy5 yet, but initial impressions are that they are slightly stiffer (sidewall) than PS4’s, (which I’ve done lots of miles with but not in an MX5) - not as ‘squidgy’ if that’s a word.
Whichever you choose will be night and day difference to the pretty rubbish S001’s.

3 Likes

I recently got PS4s for my ND. Very impressed with wet grip and ride quality compared to the outgoing Bridgestones.
However, according to the dealer they are responsible for the whining/droning the car now experiences at all speeds above about 35mph. More here: 2017 ND RF 2.0 rumble - #7 by First_rider_off

1 Like

FWIW Michelin Pilot Sport 5s are now available in 215/45/17. I’ve had them fitted to my ND1 via Asda Tyres and they’re leagues ahead of the admittedly very old and worn Potenza S001s that went. Fantastic wet grip but unfortunately I’ve not had much change to test in the dry! I had PS4’s on my previous Leon and they were fantastic in any conditions there too.

No issues with whining/droning here after about 1k miles.

Bear in mind it’s a grippy soft compound, so you might not be having quite as much fun coming out of corners! :smiley:

I put PS4s on last year, quieter than the Bridgestones, no whining or droning at all

2 Likes