Uploading images guide!

Right guys and gals, I know a few have had trouble with the recent Photobox disaster. They’ve really shot themselves in the foot considering there’s a multitude of photo-sharing sites available. I’ve tried a number of them and have found this one to be the easiest, most scaled-down and current favourite of the bunch. I’ll walk you through the steps of getting started, uploading and sharing your photos! This can also easily be done from your phone, and I can chuck up a phone-friendly guide if there’s enough interest though the steps are nigh-on identical!

1. Go to the site

The site is called postimage.org < click on the website name and it’ll take you right there in a new tab. Every little helps getting started!

login page

2. Log-in/sign up!

Pretty self-explanatory stuff, if you’ve an account with them you’ll log in, if you don’t you sign up. It’s easy to go through this yourselves and you should get a confirmatory email when you’ve signed up so you know you’re away to go. I’ve already got an account so I’ll be logging in, top right. (Shown in picture #1)

3. Uploading an image.

On the ‘home screen’ there should be an interface with either an upload button in the top-right, or a screen like this;

logged in

Click ‘choose images’ and you’ll be greeted with the following (on mac). On Windows devices you’ll have your relative file explorer. Both are simple enough to use, I use both regularly. For this example I’ll upload a photo of my dog!

choosing image

You’ll note that some of the images are in a lighter grey font. For the direct upload via this method it seems to favour .jpg photos. If you open the finder/file explorer and drag-n-drop the photo onto this page it might work. There is an upload limit for file sizes, but I’m not sure what this is at this stage, I’ve never had issues with it.

Once you’ve chosen your photo/photos, you’ll have an uploading screen with progress of upload, as per below;

uploading status

Once it says ‘complete’ it’ll take you to that photo you’ve just uploaded.

4. Sharing a photo

You’ll be looking for a symbol such as this, either below the thumbnail if you’ve not clicked on your image or above the image that you’ve just uploaded, to the left-hand side of the screen;

share button

And here is an example of where it is above the photo;

share above image

Once you click on this, you’ll have the following boxes/options;

sharing image

Here the majority of options are self explanatory. I almost always opt for ‘direct link’ as I’ll explain later. If you click the little symbol to the right-hand side of the link, as above, it’ll say it’s copied. Then you just have to paste it to the right place and Bob’s your mum’s brother…

Once it’s copied, head to wherever you’re posting it (I’ll use this site as the obvious example) and, when drafting your message, press the little ‘upload image’ box;

upload image icon

In the above, I’m hovering over the relevant box, see if you can spot where it is! Hint: it’s near the smiley face in the middle!

When you click that you get this…

upload images box

As you can see here, I’ve pasted the link into the box. You can do this by right-clicking and choosing paste after you’ve copied the link as mentioned earlier. On Windows computers you can also press ctrl and ‘v’ together or with Mac it’s command and v.

Press insert and it should show your photo within the draft box, as you can see the image before last. Here, you can change the image size by pressing the ‘appearance’ tab and inputting your size. 800px width seems to work on most devices, but you can go smaller for phones (640px is probably a good ballpark there).

changing size

If you’re still with me and followed these steps, you should be able to upload and share your photos with ease! There’s no harm practising, it gets easier with each time you do it! So here goes… say hello to Daisy!

DAISY!

I hope this helps! If you want me to clarify anything just holla and I’ll be happy to go through any questions you might have!

Ben

Test pic

Ben, I feel as though you wrote this guide just for me I’ve struggled ever since photobucket tried holding me to ransom! I thought I would never get a picture back up on the forums (not just here?). Well chuffed and many thanks for a great write up! Nice dog by the way

Barrie

Not at all Barrie! It’s intended for all those who have struggled with the woes of photobucket of late!  Glad it worked for you my good friend! Thanks, I’ll pass on the compliments to her, she laps them up! 

My thinking was that I had 15 minutes to spare and hopefully this would save people many hours of headache! If it helps only one person I’ll still be a happy chappy! 

Hopefully this one of my dog with some of his mates is a better size?

Bear, the St Bernard

He’s called Bear 

What a beauty!  I’m such a sucker for dogs! I wonder why he’s called ‘Bear’…  You’ve definitely got the hang of this now, Barrie! 

Great guide, moved to website queries and made sticky.

That seems OK. Got there in the end. Many thanks for the instructions, much appreciated.

Not a dog as we do not have one so chose this. One Caterham Superlight R bites the dust, or to be more precise the farmers fence!

Oh dear, is that the air ambulance in the background? Hope everyone was OK? On another note, it’s great when you can post pics and it works! 

Barrie

If I can be slightly critical, resize the image before posting, much better for viewing and doesn’t take long to load.

Better also for the website and viewing on smaller devices, as below.

"

If I can be slightly critical, resize the image before posting, much better for viewing and doesn’t take long to load.

Better also for the website and viewing on smaller devices, as below.  "

Ive had this problem Mick? My first pic of my car was way too big (and distorted), the next one I tried to size as suitable for website or something? Ended up too small? I think? What’s the optimum default on post image? If you don’t mind?

Barrie

I use the 640x480 for message boards sizing for the resized pic above.

I picked a random pic below to use, again using the above sizing, then I copied hotlink for forums and pasted it here. Hope it turns out ok.

url=https://postimages.org/][/url]

thats even easier Mick! 

https://s26.postimg.org/74ry9f9g9/IMG_5401.jpg

Hopefully its worked

Oh dear! Can’t view the image on here so copied the link? Sent me to pixxxels site, never heard of it but appears to be full of unsavoury pics?   

Barrie

That’s better! You just need to resize now as MickAP suggested In a previous post? Nice car by the way! 

Barrie

Cheers Barrie, struggling to resize image, i’ll try again

Photobucket works fine once you have the correct extensions installed in your browser. Even if you don’t intend using Photobucket yourself, it will help viewing old threads, as you use the Search facility to answer common questions.