Wardy's NC2

I thought I’d start a Readers Rides thread, for my own memory if nothing else!

Context
I sold my NA S-Special after 7 years at the start of October last year. I thoroughly enjoyed it during that time, using it between March and October each year and SORN’ing it for the rest. My wife and I share a daily driver and it dawned on me that for the times when we both needed a car, if it was between November and March, I wasn’t using the NA which was a bit of a waste. My NA was a strictly dry use only type affair! And I live in the Northwest of England, which gets its fair share of the wet stuff…

So I started to research NCs and specifically the PRHT version, that I could use more of the year and I also wouldn’t be too worried leaving it overnight in places given the ‘solid’ roof. The car would also live outside and I’d spent enough of my time on NA mohair roof cleaning duties!

I’d spent a bit of time tracking examples and prices, while the right S-Special owner came along. My requirements were for an NC2 as I didn’t much care for the original NC front end design. I wanted a 2.0 for a bit more performance and the LSD. I’d looked at several special editions as well as the Sport Tech model of course, and seen the variance between 5 and 6 speed gearboxes in those models and observing that the final drive in top wasn’t that different. So I’d be happy with either gearbox.

So by the end of October I’d found what I thought would be the right example for me. A September 2009 facelift example at the right price and a one owner car, with its original bill of sale and plenty of history. A 2.0 SE model which suited me well, particularly as I’m not really a fan of leather seats which all the special editions and the more common 2.0 Sport Tech models had.

The drive back from Suffolk to Cheshire allowed us to get acquainted. Including fitting my Jass Performance gearknob for the drive home, for an improved shift and feel in my view.

Upon returning home, I also fitted two items that I’d bought in preparation. The revised dipstick and the RX-8 intermittent wiper stalk.

November 2022
We took it for a weekend away to North Wales and gave it a run round the Evo triangle:

The end of November brought a trip to Anaid for undersealing work, which thankfully didn’t reveal too many horrors. Just issues in the usual places!

Feb 2023
I’d decided on suspension, plumping for the Tein Flex-Z adjustable coilovers. Perhaps not as popular an option as the seemingly ubiquitous Meisters, but they looked to suit my requirements well.

February also brought with it a ‘summer’ wheel choice. A busy and expensive month! I chose some Proline UX100s, in black. I would have preferred their anthracite finish, but these were in stock at the time so I went with it. Making sure I got them coated, as I know from previous experience that black wheels are particularly adept at showing up dirt and grime!

Smaller mods in February saw a stubby aerial from Moss popped on, that I picked up second-hand on here. Plus some delrin door bushes that Rob Bate makes. I’d had the same ones on the NA and like the more solid door shutting sound they result in, if nothing else!

March 2023
Time for suspension fitting and a fairly thorough service, to ensure was all up to scratch:
Sparkplugs (Denso ITV20TT)
Oil (MOBIL Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30) & filter (genuine Mazda)
Diff oil (Red Line 75W-90 GL5)
Gearbox oil (Duratec NC)

I left the standard wheels on for suspension fitting, as I’d be using these during the autumn and winter time, so wanted a chance to see what it would look like. I’ve since had these refurbished in a standard silver finish and fitted Goodyear Vector 4Seasons tyres.

I left the suspension to settle and bed in a little and make sure I was happy with compliance and height. I went with a 340/340mm height setup and that suits me perfectly. Bump/rebound control is set mid-way on the Teins at the moment, which I’m happy with.

A bit more time on the standard wheels also gave me time to confirm on summer tyre choice. I went with what seemed to be quite a popular choice amongst NC owners, in the shape of Kumho’s PS71 in 215/45/17. I’ve been impressed so far – quiet, grippy with decent wet weather performance and they’ve stood up to some Prescott Hill and Curborough use pretty well.

Then I went for suspension alignment at TunedUK in Llay just over the border from me in North Wales. I’m now much happier with turn-in and overall feel and confidence.

So that’s pretty much how things stand at the moment. I have a list of other mods to get through shortly when I get some spare moments for fitting. Including a Sony headunit upgrade to give Android Auto connectivity and one of Roadie’s wind blockers. On the latter I’m having a think about roll hoop refurb/colour change, so don’t want to affix it just yet!

Then I’ll look at attending to a few bodywork marks and undertake a more rigorous cleaning detail to bring the paintwork back up to standard.

Prescott car club day in April, Curborough a few weeks ago:

Cheers,
Steve

8 Likes

Fitted my SmartTop roof control module last week, following an aborted attempt a few weeks previously as I couldn’t get the factory connector disconnected!

Following a bit more searching around on here, I came across this post which provided the approach I needed :+1:

So by stopping the roof retraction just as the rear deck was lifted, that gave me a view and access to see the other side of the clip and it was removed in about 2 mins.

I then attached some adhesive foam padding around the unit to stop it rattling and then put the trim pieces back in place. I’d already configured the unit, setting a 20mph operation speed and for the roof to automatically retract when the release handle is detached. Combined with one touch closing operation, means I have it working much more conveniently and arguably how it should have been from the factory!

Then a few quick tests to confirm it was following those configured settings. Job done.

2 Likes

I successfully retrofitted cruise control on Tuesday evening. Another job ticked off!

That was one of the compromises going with an SE spec as I do like to use cruise it on longer trips.

It was straightforward in the end. I disconnected battery first and left it a while. While I was waiting I changed my brake pedal switch to the 4-pin version.

Then I removed the wheel and airbag. I swapped in the cruise buttons that I’d picked up from a '5 being broken and then refitted everything.

All tested and working on a test drive :+1:

4 Likes

Hi mate, just been reading through your thread and wondered if I could ask about your wheels please as they look great. Are they 17" and if so what width and offset please? I don’t suppose you know their weight do you? I’ve never heard of Proline wheels to be honest so know nothing about them. Cheers, Steve.

Hi Steve,

Of course. They’re a 17" Proline UX100 in a 7.5J width, ET49 offset. Weight was around 8.5kg if I recall. So more than an OEM 17" but then most are!

I’d not heard of them either, but came up in a search of 5x114.3 PCD wheels, which wasn’t a PCD I’d come across before! They’re a German outfit, TUV approved etc.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for that it’s really helpful.

I’m driving myself mad trying to make a decision! I like the style of these, I like anything with a 9, 10 or 11 spoke design ideally and I don’t want to go too wide or too heavy.

8.5kg is ok with me, obviously they’re slightly wider than stock anyway so I think that’s a decent weight. I can’t really afford the top end makes with the really low weights but then some of the cheaper stuff has been as much as 12 or 13kg when I’ve enquired!

I like the fact they’re ET49 too rather than the normal 45 or even 40. I don’t want to deviate from stock width too much so 45 was the max I’m considering but would be happier with 49 so I think these are a real contender.

I don’t suppose you have any other pictures do you please, showing them from different angles etc?

Finally did you get them for Wheelbase as I can’t seem to find any other suppliers?

Cheers,

Steve.

Some I have ‘on file’ that may help. Whereabouts are you? If you’re anywhere near the North West you’re welcome to come and take a look :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the pictures Steve. For style and offset they look spot on to me! :grinning:

Did you get them from Wheelbase?

Sorry missed that in the reply. No, but you’re correct that they’re the UK distributor.

How did you get yours then? I don’t really like Wheelbase and they’re definitely not the cheapest for any brand of wheel! Would rather have used someone else if at all possible.

I know what you mean. I got mine via Germany.

I got mine from Wheelbase and i couldnt really fault them tbh, I feel i got a bargain, but i know the fitment i wanted and they were one of few options i had, Custom drilled also so i had to wait but it was quick. Tires mounted well minimal balance weights.

1 Like