Waving to fellow owners

Managed to get out in my MX5 this weekend, first time for 3 weeks.
Put my hand up to three separate ‘5’ owners, in the Ripley & Belper area, only to be completely ignored :slightly_frowning_face:

What am I doing wrong ?

2 Likes

I was out in Rainworth yesterday and I got a very reserved wave back from another MX-5 driver… I guess only enthusiasts are wavers…!

4 Likes

If I realise it’s another MX coming the other way I wave. More often than not they don’t wave back but I can’t really complain as I’ve had people wave at me and not waved back as I realised too late. Best one I had was near Warwick, when we came up behind another Mk3. We both had roof down and passenger & driver waved wildly in the air, we did the same back.

3 Likes

I’ll wave if I spot you :slight_smile: in my subtle 5. The bonnet is yellow now:)

8 Likes

I always wave.
I also wave to tidy classics.

1 Like

Well no excuse for missing you :grinning:
I must confess to twice waving to a BMW Z4 and wondering why I didnt get a respose.

3 Likes

Yeah i think all convertibles are fair game. Especially if they have their roof down.

2 Likes

Despite being obviously ancient I quite often get a wave from a local powder blue SLK. (It is almost exactly the car SWMBO wanted before we bought the NC.)

I don’t know who the driver is, maybe it’s because our two cars are almost the same colour and lids hid. I’m happy to wave back, even when SWMBO asks “Who’s that?” with a suspicious tone, because the other driver is quite attractive and it would be rude to ignore her.

4 Likes

A bit of a mixed response from other mx-5 owners to be honest; best responses are from MK1 owners for some reason. I too have a propensity to wave to other sports cars with their hoods down, my last ‘victim’ being a bemused Lotus Elise driver, who did respond. :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

3 Likes

I also agree its a bit hit and miss, but I always wave or flash my headlights to other MX5s as well as other sports cars , I’ve had a few waves back from MG owners, but a lot of drivers either don’t see you in time or just don’t get what its about, as most enthusiasts including OC members would usually respond.
This habit stems from owning a Spitfire 1500 for years, back in the late 70s early 80s there was a lot of these cars around and most owners acknowledged each other with a smile or a wave, more so outside of London.
This strong Camaraderie still seems to exist among Bikers, of which I was one for over 30 years :blush:

4 Likes

I agree. I owned an MG midget 1275 and spitfire 1500 back in the 70s and more recently a couple of MGFs before getting my first mx-5. Like you I seem to remember midgets and spits used to be good wavers and I suspect owners of these cars have continued the tradition due to their affection for small, affordable, fun cars.

2 Likes

I also had a 1500 Spit in the 70s, not to mention a Sprite. Completely agree with your comments re wavers!

1 Like

Try waving at older women ?

1 Like

I had a young lady wave and toot at me (I’m 66) I was filling up with petrol at the time. Missus said do you know her, I said hmm, don’t think so.:thinking::smile:
She was driving past in her NC.

5 Likes

:smile: :smile: I’m in my 60s so I’ll be waving to women in their 70s and 80s , that’ll take some explaining if my wife’s with me :grin:

3 Likes

Crikey, I can give you guys a few years? Perhaps they might think I am a sugar daddy or someone who needs the Salvation Army. Enjoy while you can. After 50 years of riding motorbikes the MX5 is certainly warmer.

2 Likes

And a bit safer with a wheel in each corner…! Enjoy…

1 Like

I can’t stand it when this happens! It makes me sadder than a sadder thing :sob:

I journey the A6 regularly into poynton - there was a time last year when a 2016 plate Pearl white mx5 travelling towards the peak would pass. No wave. No acknowledgement. No flash. Nothing!
I ended up hanging out the window just to wave into the oncoming traffic to try and force some sort of response as I saw him coming! (No joke)

Oh no. … nothing. Not even a glance!

Pass him most days now- he’s the most boring fart ever! Doesn’t deserve such a fun car!! :triumph:

On another day - silver 05 plate stuck in traffic- proper energetic wave from another lady :heart_eyes::heartpulse:Love it!!

You know who you are! Be proud! We love one another unconditionally :grin::smile:

Stay safe everyone xx

5 Likes

Clearly there are those that get it, and those too miserable to!! Seasons Greetings from North Nottinghamshire…!

2 Likes

:christmas_tree::tada::two_hearts::birthday: Happy Christmas !!

2 Likes