West London Area - Drive and pub lunch - Sunday 25 February 2018

Hi all

As mentioned at our January pub meet, I’ll be resurrecting some of my drives of the past few years, with this being the first.

Starting point: Fleet Services (Southbound) on the M3 between junctions 4 and 5

Time: Meet from 09:30 for a 10:00 start

Note: the service area is currently under re-construction, so there are (pretty decent) temporary facilities in place, further away from the car park. Don’t make the same mistake as me the other week and think the Starbucks drive through in the car park is all that is on offer! 

The drive will take us from Hampshire into Berkshire and a country pub for lunch. Then afterwards, given the cold month of February, for those who want, to go onto the Living Rainforest to escape the cold for a while.

It’s a fairly long drive (around 75 miles), so the plan is to have a drinks and comfort break stop at one pub (the Woolpack Inn, Totford, near Northington, Hampshire) at around 11:00 and then continue to our destination pub (the Bull at Streatley, Streatley, Berkshire) to arrive around 13:30 for lunch. I’ll need to know numbers so that I can book tables and let both pubs know. The drinks stop pub will be opening early just for us, so their licence may mean its hot drinks and soft drinks only on offer (I’m sure we’ll survive, especially the drivers!). 

NOTE: Change to the original pub lunch venue. I need to place a pre-order for our food by Wednesday 21 February, so please look at the Bull Inn’s website to check out their menu and then post up your choice. Sorry, one of the joys of being a larger group . Unfortunately, my original pub choice didn’t have room for us when I tried booking today (11 Feb). 

I have my fingers crossed for the drink stop pub…

There’s also the potential for a group entrance rate to The Living Rainforest, but it depends upon numbers and requires a pre-booking (but not pre=payment).

Remember to have at least half a tank of petrol before we set off, just to make sure.

On the list

Bob
Helen
Richard & Linda
Colin (lunch only)
Neil & Sirpa (meeting at The Woolpack)
Heather & Phil

Suzy & Alan

Cheers

Bob

Thanks, Bob, I’m in!

Sorry Bob, can’t make this one, but I hope all goes well.

Colin

Great

And apologies for clash with the Walton Bridge breakfast club meeting 

Depending upon how early that is, people could come along to this drive afterwards?

Bob

Hi Bob

I’ll be on my way home after a weekend in Gloucester,  so can’t join you on the run, but I’d like to join you for lunch if that’s OK.

Colin

I’ve added you to the list, Colin.

Sorry Bob, but we will pass on this one. Good luck and, with you in charge,  I am sure the weather will be fine!

Peter

I’m doing the Walton Bridge meet, but will shoot back to Hampton to pick up Sirpa and we’ll meet you at the Woolpack around 11.00 for the rest of the run, if that’s OK…

Hi Bob

Phil and I are interested in coming along from the Fleet start and the two stops but not th3 Rainforest bit. 

Thanks and see you on 25th

Heather

Thanks everyone for your replies so far and to Helen for updating the list 

PLEASE NOTE THE AMENDED LUNCH VENUE!!!

Frustratingly, having got an idea of likely numbers this week, and therefore trying to make a booking today, there isn’t now room for us at lunch time at the Four Points Inn (they have virtually no bookings a couple of weeks ago…). So, I’ve switched us to the Bull Inn at Streatley instead and made a booking there. Having booked for 10 (to be on the safe side) that means we need to pre-book our food choices, so if you could take a look at the Sunday lunch menu on their website, make your selection and let me know, then I can place the pre-order by Wednesday 21 February.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob
I’ll go for the Roast Pork, please.

Thanks
Helen

Hi Bob

Welsh leg of lamb for me please.

Thanks

Colin

ps. What time have you booked for lunch?

Lunch table is booked for 1.30pm

Thanks for the responses so far. 

Not heard back from the Woolpack yet, so will give them a call. 

Bob 

Hi Bob,

Beef for Linda and Pork for me please.

Thanks

Richard

Hi Bob, 2 x Beef, please…

Roast lamb for Phil please

Mushroom, butternut squash and Pinot Grigio rigatoni for Heather please

That’s great, thanks everyone. 

Hopefully I will get a chance to speak to the landlord at the Woolpack during the week, as he wasn’t there on Sunday evening when I tried. 

I am also keeping an eye on the weather forecast!! 

Bob 

All booked in now at both pubs - Hurrah!

Just the weather to work on now and the route instructions to finalise.

Cheers

Bob