What does your MX5 cost to insure?

With prices rising everywhere I thought it might be useful, particularly for newcomers to MX5 ownership, if we discussed some of the options for insuring our MX5’s and how cost effective they are.

Options like classic and multi car insurance as well as the ‘standard’ motor insurance policy.

Hopefully anyone reading this thread understands car insurance is worked out on the risk relating to your particular car, you and your personal circumstances.

For example your age, accident and conviction history, where you live, the age/model of MX5, modifications, other drivers, etc.

Added to that there are other discounting factors like NCD (No Claims Discount), an agreed excess, your occupation, marital status, etc.

So if you decide to post anything about a recent quote or policy price, it won’t have much validity without some ‘basic’ context details. Some of those details (like your postcode) you definitely shouldn’t give out, for security reasons, in a public forum. So I propose we only offer 4 pieces of information and we make some general assumptions about the rest.

1. The age, model and engine size of your MX5.
  2. Your age. If you are not comfortable with being precise, use an age range of 5 years, eg 50-55.
  3. Your general location, eg your county, perhaps sharing if you are in a city (which affects premiums quite substantially).
  4. The type of policy and cover you have, eg compressive, classic car, multi car, standard, etc.

All other details we’ll make some general assumptions about. For example you don’t have any accidents or convictions, you have a reasonably ordinary (ie you’re not a pop star) occupation, the car is unmodified, you have full NCD, there’s at least 2 cars in your household, you don’t cover an excessive annual mileage (ie over 10,000), it’s left on your drive at night, excess between £100-250, etc.

Even if these assumptions are wrong for you personally, we’re mainly trying to work out the better insurance deals out there. So if you do have zero NCD, 5 speeding fines and 3 accidents to your name, you probably won’t be in a hurry to reveal your annual premium here:-)

So my ballpark details are:

Car: 2011 2.0l NC
Age range: 50-55
Insurance policy: Standard, comprehensive

My annual cost this year is £158 with Shielas Wheels.

For a standard car policy I thought that was pretty good, particularly since we only have 3 years NCD on the MX5.

On that note I spent several years insuring my last MX5 (1999 1.8 NB.) on a classic car policy where annual premiums were around £120-170. But that policy didn’t accrue NCD.

Retired (65-70) East Anglia

1993 Eunos
3,000 Miles per year
Agreed Value, Fully Comp
2 named drivers
No accidents, convictions, points etc.
Protected NCB
£120

2018 ND2 Sports Nav+
5,000 Miles per year
Fully Comp
2 named drivers
No accidents, convictions, points etc.
Protected NCB
£216

Admiral

2 Likes

55, Employed
Liverpool
2021 MX-5 Annerversary Edition 2.0 ND
6 years NCD (not protected)
Exhaust system changes, dash cam and parking sensors.
6000 miles a year,
Locked in a garage overnight.
No accidents, claims or convictions
Two named drivers

Multi car policy

LV @ £233.

:+1:

1. 2008 prht 2.0 NC

2. 58

3. Suffolk

4. £133.93 fully comp two named drivers full ncd with LV as part of multi vehicle policy.The premium actually came down this year as part of the new price match law.

Just renewed with Lancaster (club discount) for £101, contacting them after my renewal quote of £250 via APlan.

1 Like

Car: 2011 1.8 SE
Age range: 40-45
Insurance policy: Standard, comprehensive

About £170 with Churchill. I put 0 years’ no claims because I have this assigned to another car.

I thought that wasn’t too bad.

1. 2008 NC, PRHT, 2l, standard Niseko
  2. 75+
  3. West London
  4. LV= fully comp, 9Y NCD (actually 36Y and on both cars), 2 drivers, garaged, 5000m/y, £166

Hi.
If anyone ever needs any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

2 Likes

Just started a new Classic policy with Lancaster on my 1997 MK1 1.6.
20+ years no claims(not required)
1000 miles
Location South Devon
58 years old
garaged
no voluntary excess
comprehensive
Premium £75.55 but with Quido compare £40 back + a £20 bonus, the total actually paid
will be £15.55. That’s the cheapest I have ever achieved.

4 Likes

2002 NB 1.8 Sport
26 y/o
London
Fully comped with Sheila’s Wheels @£900/yr
3.5 yrs of previous experience as a named driver

1 Like

55-60, Retired, Aberdeenshire
2022 ND2 1.5 Sport
8,000 Miles per year
Fully Comp - Churchill
£190

1 Like

Car: 1999 NB 1.8
Age range: 29
Insurance policy: Fully comp

My annual cost this year is £495 with Shielas Wheels for 8000 miles.

Hi @DAN_ADRIAN_FLUX , I came to Adrian first as you guys had insured me last year. I’m 29 (But only 3 years driving and NCB) with a 1.8NB and your renewal price was more than last years price (Which I thought was illegal to be honest) Last year it was £800 (Third party F+F) This year you wanted £1100 for TPF+F.

Anyway, Sheila’s wheels covered me for just under £500 fully comp which you guys said you couldn’t do or even come close too. My car isn’t modded at all. Really boggles the mind how you try to sell yourselves as the best insurance for young drivers or modified vehicles. Please explain.

Car - 2021 ND2 GT Sport Tech
Age - 60 to 65
Area - East London
10+ years NCB
Insurance - £275 with RAC

I want to lower and stiffen the suspension a bit, but I’m getting silly quotes. Last year I did get get some realistic quotes which weren’t a lot more than with the standard set up, but as the car was new, I decided to hold back and see how I got on with it as it was. Now I want to make the change the insurance is way more. Has anyone got recommendations who to try.

Car - 2020 ND2 GT RF (lowered, remappped, exhaust changes, oversized tyres, brake changes. all declared in advance of the work being done)
Age - 45 - 50
Area - lincolnshire
2 years NCB
Insurance - £360 performance direct ( think the policy is lv)

7500 miles a year, no commuting. It dropped £200 this year as my ncd has gone up, they didnt take into account the 15years ncd on one policy and the 7 on another. Looked at getting all into one, but most insurers wont touch the 17 seat minibus with a barge pole.

1 Like

Mk1 1.6 Eunos
Surrey
1yrs NCD
Classic car policy with Peter Best, self and partner
3,000m pa

£100! :grin::ok_hand:

2011 Black edition
Aberdeenshire
£180 through churchill
No ncd as used elsewhere

2019 1.5 RF sport
74 years old
7 years no claims
Northamptonshire
LV £200 last week for another year.

I try and aim for sub £200 for each car when renewing. Annoyingly at my last renewal my daily driver came in @£220 but my NC around £190. They are on a multi car policy with Admiral.
Both on a 5k miles limit, comprehensive no commuting (retired) both only insured for myself to drive.
The annoyance is, my NC is of more value, 2ltr modified (engine tune) lowered suspension plus other minor mods declared. Daily driver 1.2ltr, bog standard as they come saloon and as my NC, 8 years old.
65-70 years old, around 12+ years NCD on both cars (although considerably more) no convictions.
I did manage to get an an adjustment on the daily drivers cost to insure last year. It came down to around £186 but had to up the excess a little.
Got to do the haggling again this November :unamused:

2004 NB
Self and wife, 71
3 yrs NCD
Garage overnight, Lincolnshire
LV - £228 incl £70 breakdown cover

1 Like

In case folks aren’t aware, buying your next years motor insurance is often cheaper if arranged and purchased 3-4 weeks before the end of your current policy.

Here’s some info on the topic from Compare the market.com

“If I’m renewing, is there a best time to get a quote?

Yes, so don’t procrastinate. Insurance providers may charge more the closer you get to the start date of your policy. Buying three to four weeks before the policy starts is usually the best way to get a good price. But if you don’t manage it then, even taking out a policy two weeks ahead of renewal is still likely to be better than the day or even the week before.”

So put a reminder in your calendar!

1 Like